What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 R25 Sat - North Qld 38-8 Penrith @ Queensland Country Bank

Round 25: North Qld v Penrith

• North Queensland Cowboys

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Penrith Panthers

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2022 - Round 25
North Queensland Cowboys v Penrith Panthers
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville, South Townsville (TICKETS)
Saturday 3 September 2022

NRL kickoff 7:35pm (9/Fox/Kayo)

NQL2022TEAM.png

1. Scott Drinkwater 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Valentine Holmes 4. Peta Hiku 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow 7. Chad Townsend 8. Jordan McLean 9. Reece Robson 10. Reuben Cotter 11. Luciano Leilua 12. Jeremiah Nanai 13. Jason Taumalolo 14. Jake Granville 15. Tom Gilbert 16. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 17. Griffin Neame 18. Brendan Elliot 19. Riley Price 20. Connelly Lemuelu 21. Tom Dearden 22. Ben Condon

PEN2022TEAM.png

1. Charlie Staines 2. Sunia Turuva 3. Robert Jennings 4. Thomas Jenkins 5. Christian Crichton 6. Kurt Falls 7. Sean O'Sullivan 8. Lindsay Smith 9. Mitch Kenny 10. Matt Eisenhuth 11. Chris Smith 12. Scott Sorensen 13. J'maine Hopgood 14. Soni Luke 15. Eddie Blacker 16. Liam Henry 17. Jack Cole 18. Mavrik Geyer 19. Preston Riki 20. Ativalu Lisati 21. Liam Martin 22. Jaeman Salmon

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Todd Smith
Sideline Officials: Liam Kennedy, Michael Wise
Video Referee: Chris Butler

- Lower Grades: QLD Cup & U21 Colts -
Mackay Cutters
QLD Cup finals - did not qualify
Colts finals - 6 v 7 Elimination Final v SC Falcons
Northern Pride
QLD Cup finals - 5 v 8 Elimination Final v CQ Capras
Colts finals - did not qualify
Townsville Blackhawks
QLD Cup finals - did not qualify
Colts finals - 2 v 3 Qualifying FInal v Redcliffe

- Lower Grades: NSW Cup & Jersey Flegg U21 -
Penrith Panthers
NSW Cup finals - 2 v 3 Qualifying Final v Norths, Sat, St Marys
Jersey Flegg finals - 2 v 3 Qualifying Final v Newcastle, Sat, St Marys​

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
the brett firman cup

expect a few bodies to get rested from penrith, considering the sharks have newcastle i cant see us claiming 2nd spot back,. Not being rubbish against a top 4 team would be nice though

Valheru

Coach
Penrith still have something to play for here IMO if Storm beat Parra.

I'm not suggesting Penrith are scared of anyone and will go in favourites against whoever they play but I don't think it is a revelation that Storm are a much better chance of beating them week 1 than cowboys.

If Parra win then it becomes a true dead rubber for them. They even have the luxury of knowing the parra/storm result prior to the 24 hour cut off to trim their squad.

Iamback

Coach
Penrith still have something to play for here IMO if Storm beat Parra.

I'm not suggesting Penrith are scared of anyone and will go in favourites against whoever they play but I don't think it is a revelation that Storm are a much better chance of beating them week 1 than cowboys.

If Parra win then it becomes a true dead rubber for them. They even have the luxury of knowing the parra/storm result prior to the 24 hour cut off to trim their squad.

I'd rest 5-6 regardless, Not sure we gain anything by playing Yeo, Api and a few others with niggles

GongPanther

Referee
We rest players, Nth Qld by 22-14. We go in full strength and sill with Cleary, us by 18-16. More concerned with the next weekend. Hope we play the Storm at home in the first home final, as Parra lately seem to have our mettle.

Valheru

Coach
We rest players, Nth Qld by 22-14. We go in full strength and sill with Cleary, us by 18-16. More concerned with the next weekend. Hope we play the Storm at home in the first home final, as Parra lately seem to have our mettle.

Cowboys is an option if Storm win and you guys beat cowboys on Saturday.

GongPanther

Referee
Cowboys is an option if Storm win and you guys beat cowboys on Saturday.
Cows $1.15 to win this so Penrith are taking it easy. Might affect the final round of scoring in the Dally Messenger Awards night with Yeo apparently high on the ladder.

Valheru

Coach
Cows 1.15 to win this so Penrith are taking it easy. Might affect the final round of scoring in the Dally Messenger Awards night with Yeo apparently high on the ladder.
That is fraught with danger IMO

If Parra wins it is a moot point in which case, yeah rest everyone. If Storm win though, your destiny is controllable. I think a Penrith/Storm week 1 finals game will be one of those low scoring brutal affairs similar to what we saw between Roosters/storm. I still have Penrith as favourties (around $1.70) but Storm could absolutely win that game. The battered and bruised loser would then have to back up against a confident roosters/souths/raiders.

On the other hand and with respect to the cowboys, I don't see them getting close to you guys in week 1. I'm not saying play the whole team, you would still rest Api and Yeo who deserve it but I would also be giving the team a legit chance to win the match in the event storm do win on Thursday.

GongPanther

Referee
That is fraught with danger IMO

If Parra wins it is a moot point in which case, yeah rest everyone. If Storm win though, your destiny is controllable. I think a Penrith/Storm week 1 finals game will be one of those low scoring brutal affairs similar to what we saw between Roosters/storm. I still have Penrith as favourties (around $1.70) but Storm could absolutely win that game. The battered and bruised loser would then have to back up against a confident roosters/souths/raiders.

On the other hand and with respect to the cowboys, I don't see them getting close to you guys in week 1. I'm not saying play the whole team, you would still rest Api and Yeo who deserve it but I would also be giving the team a legit chance to win the match in the event storm do win on Thursday.
I see the Storm running riot against the Eels. After all the shit Nelson copped from those bell-ends on NRL 360, IMO they'll respond to that flack by taking it out on the Eels.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Bizarre lineup of NSW Cup players basically gifts Cowboys a top 3 place unless something miraculous happens.
I take it we're obviously not concerned about playing Eels or Storm in Week 1 but it's strange considering they are the only 2 teams to beat us at home in the 2020's so far.

I’m disappointed that we are resting so many; I just think that winning is a habit. But I trust the coach.

I do think there is an element of confidence in the decision; it’s saying that as long as we are fit, we are confident we can beat anyone Week 1 of the Finals.

This is where I was too. And with respect to the Cows, let’s not forget that Penrith has the wood over them; since Payten has been in charge, they haven’t taken 2 points off us. And I don’t just mean a win (2/3 of the teams in the comp haven’t beaten us in 3 years), but a Payten coached Cows team has not scored a point against Penrith.

Danish

Referee
With the sheer number of players being rested, would the NRL have any grounds to issue Penrith a show cause for deliberately degrading the product? Channel 9 could certainly be within their grounds to complain also.

its going back 25 years but Easts were ordered by the ARL to change their named team after picking basically a reserve grade side for the final round given their finals spot was assured.

With the sheer number of players being rested, would the NRL have any grounds to issue Penrith a show cause for deliberately degrading the product? Channel 9 could certainly be within their grounds to complain also.

its going back 25 years but Easts were ordered by the ARL to change their named team after picking basically a reserve grade side for the final round given their finals spot was assured.
All the Penrith players have been dropped for disciplinary reasons.

They celebrate too hard.