What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbit57

Juniors

Souths’ new flying ‘Johnstone’?

South Sydney have taken an interest in Wakefield winger Tom Johnstone as they look to bolster their outside backs for next season.

Johnstone, a try scoring machine in the English Super League, has flirted with the NRL in the past and it is understood the Rabbitohs are among the clubs monitoring the situation.

His potential defection to the NRL comes as English power-brokers descend on Magic Round in search of signings for next season.
Plenty of reports to say he is about to sign with Catalan Dragons. He is rated highly.

Rabbits20

Immortal
There were a few raised eyebrows around Redfern when former coach Wayne Bennett questioned South Sydney’s decision to let halfback and captain Adam Reynolds join the Broncos.

Bennett adored Reynolds and wanted him to stay but the fact is he rebuffed a plan that would’ve ensured Reynolds could be re-signed for two years.

The Bulldogs wanted prop Liam Knight mid-season, a move that would’ve cleared salary cap space to keep the veteran No.7.

As the man in charge of recruitment last year, and desperate to win a premiership in his final season, Bennett rejected the move — much to the dismay of the other powerbrokers at the club.

Andrew Webster SMH

250excf

Juniors
How lucky are the Broncos oh my god Reyno will take them whete we were last year
How on earth could u let the best by far no7 leave in the nrl is absolutely mindless

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
There were a few raised eyebrows around Redfern when former coach Wayne Bennett questioned South Sydney’s decision to let halfback and captain Adam Reynolds join the Broncos.

Bennett adored Reynolds and wanted him to stay but the fact is he rebuffed a plan that would’ve ensured Reynolds could be re-signed for two years.

The Bulldogs wanted prop Liam Knight mid-season, a move that would’ve cleared salary cap space to keep the veteran No.7.

As the man in charge of recruitment last year, and desperate to win a premiership in his final season, Bennett rejected the move — much to the dismay of the other powerbrokers at the club.

Andrew Webster SMH
If this is true, there should be two hangings for each and every person involved in this decision.
One hanging for letting Reynolds go.
Give them smelling salts and hang them again for keeping useless Knight

Nafedogg

Juniors
I get that alot of people are angry about losing Adam, he’s killing it this year. But to be brutally honest we only won 1 premiership with him. Yes we won games and went close last year, but that’s it. What would have happened this year? We win lots of games then drop out in the prelims/semis/gf like the previous 7 years?

Lawman

Juniors
I get that alot of people are angry about losing Adam, he’s killing it this year. But to be brutally honest we only won 1 premiership with him. Yes we won games and went close last year, but that’s it. What would have happened this year? We win lots of games then drop out in the prelims/semis/gf like the previous 7 years?
Spoken like a "true politician"- Nice Spin.

250excf

Juniors
Be
Be
Spoken like a "true politician"- Nice Spin.
South’s bosses
Look at Broncos killing it by adding the best no7 in the nrl
Then
With no disrespect look at us with no Adam
Enough Said
Hang your heads in shame the worst decision the money men have ever made

handyman2190

Bench
If this is true, there should be two hangings for each and every person involved in this decision.
One hanging for letting Reynolds go.
Give them smelling salts and hang them again for keeping useless Knight
Last year canterbury wanted knight,mid season, bennet knocked that on the head keeping a useless player, his money would have kept AR, this is beyond words, its grown to farcical proportions.
Elsewere other teams are buying and again we sit oon our arses watching them get stronger and us weaker.
Im sorry to say,and it depresses me to say, we will be very lucky to beat the warriors today

handyman2190

Bench
At least we keep our dignity,we are the laughing stock of the league

Nafedogg

Juniors
At least we keep our dignity,we are the laughing stock of the league
Handy, don’t get me wrong, I love Adam, and I do miss him playing for us. Had the club known Cody was going to have a shocker this year maybe it would have changed things.

The point I’m making is winning games is good, and that what people are seeing with the broncos at the moment, and we had alot of wins with Adam involved, but at the end of it all we only have one GF win, even with a stacked squad at times. Let’s see where the Broncos are at seasons end, if they make the GF or better still win it, I’ll happily eat my humble pie. I really will.

blaza88z

Coach
Handy, don’t get me wrong, I love Adam, and I do miss him playing for us. Had the club known Cody was going to have a shocker this year maybe it would have changed things.

The point I’m making is winning games is good, and that what people are seeing with the broncos at the moment, and we had alot of wins with Adam involved, but at the end of it all we only have one GF win, even with a stacked squad at times. Let’s see where the Broncos are at seasons end, if they make the GF or better still win it, I’ll happily eat my humble pie. I really will.

Mate, it doesn't matter where the Broncos end up, I can tell you exclusively, Souths are going to struggle to make the 8

You're talking about only 1 premiership with Reynolds, he's easily one of the best halfbacks in the NRL. I don't think you could replace him with anyone else and get a better outcome, you're off with the fairies if that's your argument

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench

Grand finals may be the end game for all teams, but i, and many i might add, look at how many and how games are won and being in the top 4 then 8 every year, just like the storm and roosters, not, making the grand final 1 year and not making the 8 the next, and losing our greatest point scorer in the process unnecessarily and copping him winning games elsewere.
What a farce! The laughing stock of the league, with a new over 30s policy that will decimate our ability to keep our most experienced players,whos next to go? Cameron murray? Latrell?

callmack1

Staff member
'We have tribalism and passion' - NRL chief unfazed as Rugby code war 'intensifies': https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/c4ccf8a0686c6eb2c380f03ebbf17e01

Rival club has Bunnies winger 'on their radar' - Transfer Whispers: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/6dc8f1fbf3e666a78b2e74d5fb6d0668

Also, from Zero Tackle,

"I guess that was a turning point" - Nikorima speaks on Warriors departure, 2023 contract call

South Sydney recruit Kodi Nikorima has detailed the reasoning behind his return to Australia in completing an immediate release deal to depart the Warriors earlier this month in a move to the Rabbitohs.

The 28-year-old left the Auckland club after three years and 59 games with the Warriors, who he joined midway through the 2019 season after being granted an instant switch abroad from the Broncos.

A majority of the halfback's spell with the Warriors has been placed down under, with COVID complications having forced the club to reside on the east coast of Australia to aid the NRL's battle with the pandemic.

For Nikorima, the switch moved the New Zealand international closer to his family in Queensland. For his partner, however, having to remain in New Zealand alone placed a toll on the young family, with a permanent return to Australian shores a key factor in the playmaker's latest move.

“It was a family thing of wanting to be in Australia,” Nikorima told News Corp.

“I have all my family over there in Brisbane and so does my partner. When COVID happened and we moved to the central coast, it got pretty tough on my partner being in NZ alone with no real support.

“I guess that was a turning point for myself not wanting to put her in that situation ever again.”

Coincidentally, Nikorima's first outing in cardinal and myrtle would come against the Warriors in Brisbane as part of the Magic Round fixture, with the Rabbitohs securing a two-point victory over Nathan Brown's side, with Nikorima recording 24 minutes off the interchange.

The Palmerston North product is set to add to Souths' playmaking pecking order, who are continuing their search to fill the void left by Broncos half Adam Reynolds this year.

Five-eighth Cody Walker has seemingly fallen below expectations across the opening 10 rounds of the season, seemingly placing further pressure on young halfback Lachlan Ilias.

The 22-year-old has shown poise and promise in the famous No.7 Bunnies jumper, and Nikorima plans to aid Ilias' development as the pair share their time at Redfern.

“I have been watching him (Ilias) pretty closely and he has definitely shown signs,” Nikorima said.

“I don’t know how old he is but he is still a young player. He is pretty sound defensively. The attack will come once he gets more and more reps playing.

“I am happy to help him out wherever I can. Once we start training together, I will definitely let him know where he is going well or how I can help his game as well.

“This is Lachie’s first full year and I have been around a while now. I know the ins and outs of this game. I am just happy to help out wherever.”

As for Nikorima's future at the Bunnies, the versatile half has an option in his favour for next season, potentially extending his stay with South Sydney for another 12 months should the second half of this season bear fruit.

For now, though, Nikorima has placed his priorities on fitting into Jason Demetriou's system, with a call on his future currently placed on hold.

“That’s something I will definitely decide later on,” Nikorima said.

“Just for now, I am trying to learn new systems and find my way around the area, and make the most of this opportunity.

“First and foremost I want to play. I haven’t played in three weeks due to COVID protocols.

“When I was playing, some games I have only played 15 minutes. For me it is just trying to get some time playing which is part of the reason I took up this opportunity.

“All that contract stuff will take care of itself.”

Nikorima's second game under Demetriou is scheduled for next Sunday when the Rabbitohs host Canberra in Dubbo, with the club looking to ascend their top eight place in the league standings.

Nafedogg

Juniors
Mate, it doesn't matter where the Broncos end up, I can tell you exclusively, Souths are going to struggle to make the 8

You're talking about only 1 premiership with Reynolds, he's easily one of the best halfbacks in the NRL. I don't think you could replace him with anyone else and get a better outcome, you're off with the fairies if that's your argument

No I completely understand he is hard to replace. I know he is one of the best, I’ve followed this team for many many years. I’m saying that all is not lost on losing Adam, we slid down the ladder after 2014, 7th then 2 years in 12th. So it’s clear we have been in the situation before so I don’t know why everyone is so suprised? We lost Sam, we lost Sutto, we lost probably one of the best players in Greg Inglis, but we became a top 4 side again.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Agree mate well said no point sugar coating it