What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

handyman2190

Bench
We sit here reading and hearing signings news from every club except ours,again we sit on our hands and expect just our juniors to make up the shortfall,our sg ball u19s are last nsw cup 4th

Veracity14

Juniors
We sit here reading and hearing signings news from every club except ours,again we sit on our hands and expect just our juniors to make up the shortfall,our sg ball u19s are last nsw cup 4th

the less signings the better, we need stability not too much change, there’s a few players coming through that will do a job & save money going to market
I know some people need signings to make life exciting but the reason we won a comp in 2014 & made the GF last year was long term stability without the need for wholesale change

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
the less signings the better, we need stability not too much change, there’s a few players coming through that will do a job & save money going to market
I know some people need signings to make life exciting but the reason we won a comp in 2014 & made the GF last year was long term stability without the need for wholesale change
And a fair amount of dead wood being converted into salary cap space for next season onwards.
Who knows - maybe that All-Blacks dude that loves Souths is on the radar.

Hellray

Juniors
Riley Price (son of origin legend Steve) is stuck behind a lot of talent at the cowboys, perhaps we should look at him to add some talent to our pack

Nafedogg

Juniors
People expect new signings, but whinges our cap is in crisis??? 🤣🤣 how bout we just see how this team goes first.

callmack1

Staff member
Revealed - Wayne woos Burgess to Dolphins.... And Crowe isn't happy - Jimmy Brings: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/c230e294e9f199a08fb27137dfdf964f

I'm not too happy about this either! I'd hate to see Sam in another teams' colours working for another club. Would be horrible to see a Souths legend doing that!

So on the one hand, I don't want it to happen however, if it was to happen under the promise he returned to Souths later, I could see how it would benefit us long term.

Still think I'd prefer it not to happen. He's Souths through and through, should never wear another teams' colours!

What do we think?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Revealed - Wayne woos Burgess to Dolphins.... And Crowe isn't happy - Jimmy Brings: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/c230e294e9f199a08fb27137dfdf964f

I'm not too happy about this either! I'd hate to see Sam in another teams' colours working for another club. Would be horrible to see a Souths legend doing that!

So on the one hand, I don't want it to happen however, if it was to happen under the promise he returned to Souths later, I could see how it would benefit us long term.

Still think I'd prefer it not to happen. He's Souths through and through, should never wear another teams' colours!

What do we think?
I think it’s better in the long term for us.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Josiah Karipani was set to debut but he’s got a blood infection this is not good at all. He’s unlikely to be back this year.

Looks like we will have to persist with Paulo and Milne plus Sauce and Tass.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Looks like we will have to persist with Paulo, Milne, Sauce and Tass we have no one else.

But please if we persist with Jaxson please put him on the wing.

Tass didn’t go well in reserve grade last week missed lots of tackles and errors so I’d say we will persist with Milne at centre. I think the club must not be happy with Tass in defence and that’s why he’s not coming up.

Our backline when Trell is back will likely be...

Trell
Paulo
Milne
Campbell
AJ

Just how it is. I’ll just be happy to make the 8. But I don’t see us doing much more than a finals week one exit tbh.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Pay Tribute to Ray Warren Following Retirement: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...y-tribute-to-ray-warren-following-retirement/

Pretty gutted to hear that that's it for the great man, the voice of Rugby League. No doubt the greatest there's ever been and probably the greatest there ever will be! So many of our sports greatest moments have him calling it.

Congrats on a great career Rabs! You will be missed! Absolute legend.

callmack1

Staff member
From the Sydney Morning Herald,

The South Sydney Rabbitohs were ramping up its Queensland recruitment, including signing an array of schoolboys named last night in Queensland teams.

The Queensland School Sport Rugby League organisation has released its 16-18 Years Queensland side to play New South Wales in July, and also its 14-15 years state sides.

It followed a rain disrupted state carnival on the Gold Coast over the weekend, a competition which faced a complete washout until it was rescued by the CBUS Super Stadium. (see more below).

The Rabbitohs have swooped to sign four Queensland schoolboys, while the Dolphins were also impressive movers among the next generation player list, along with the Broncos and Gold Coast Titans.

Marsden SHS winger Haizyn Mellars and powerful Nudgee College forward Liam Le Blanc have been signed by Souths from the 16-18 years side, while the exciting Mace Andrew (Marsden SHS), Ipswich SHS’s Cooper Cracknell have been recruited by the Rabbitohs from the 14-15 years state team.

The tall Mellars is a highly acclaimed athlete, while Andrews is a ball playing backrower who plays a little like Josh Schuster from Manly.

But South Sydney signings were bobbing up outside of these representative teams, with the likes of Jacob Tinsley, Braden Teuila (Marsden SHS) and Nick Torrens (Ipswich SHS) some of several other examples.

callmack1

Staff member
Burgess makes surprise Origin appearance as NRL return beckons

Adam Pengilly
June 5, 2022 — 6.38pm

Sam Burgess hinted a decision on whether he returns to the NRL as a coaching assistant could be imminent after making a surprise visit to NSW training on the eve of their State of Origin defence.

Burgess, who is coaching the Russell Crowe-backed Orara Valley Axemen on NSW’s mid-north coast, made a flying visit to Sydney and watched the key Blues session alongside coach Brad Fittler at Sydney Olympic Park on Sunday evening.

It’s one of the few times Burgess has appeared in the spotlight since the NRL cleared him to return to South Sydney - or any other club - after allegations made by his ex-wife Phoebe. Sam Burgess has denied the allegations.

While admitting he would have loved to have been involved in Origin as a player, the Englishman has outlined his ambition to return to the NRL environment before eventually embarking on his own head coaching career.

Dolphins coach and Burgess’ former Rabbitohs mentor Wayne Bennett took time out of his schedule to watch the Axemen play Macksville last month, and could offer the Clive Churchill Medal winner a role at the NRL’s newest franchise.

Asked about a return to an NRL club, Burgess said: “There’s a couple of things in the pipeline. I’ve got a couple of decisions to make about what’s best for my development so we’ll see how we go.

“[Coaching Orara Valley] is the best thing I’ve done and I’m out of the headlines. I’ve made mistakes without [the scrutiny]. It’s not as high a level, and I understand it’s my first year doing it, but it’s been really good.

“I’ve been great friends with Freddy for the last 10 or 12 years and he just reached out. By chance, I was in town. I miss the high-pressure environment as well, and it was good to be around here and feel the intensity.”

Fittler has always been proactive in bringing more knowledge to the Blues, whether it be from rugby league or other sporting and lifestyle speakers, and Burgess’ cameo was one which even caught NSW players unaware.

“It’s a bit of a surprise,” Burgess’ former South Sydney teammate Damien Cook said.

“We’ve let the Englishman wear the blue jumper and he’s only going to add to what we’re doing, and it’s nice to have him here.

“I’ve got no doubt he’s going to be a coach one day - and a very good coach.

“He’s someone who as a captain, I was very lucky to play under, and as a coach he’s someone you’d want to play for.

“I think whenever that times comes - I know he’s doing a good job up there at Coffs Harbour at the moment - he’s going to make a good coach one day.”

Players like Burgess and fellow former English international James Graham would have been walk-up Origin starters in their pomp, while the NRL has previously rejected Queensland attempts to have Tonga’s Jason Taumalolo qualify for the interstate contest.

“I would have loved to have [played],” Burgess said.

“It would have been right up my street, but I’m a purist of the game. I do like the way it is at the moment. And I reckon it would have taken a few years off my career too.

“I’ve had a few friends who have been in the Queensland team so I’ve always had a little soft spot for them too.

“There’s not an ultimate patriotic side of me that’s a diehard, but I’m going for the Blues this series.”