What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
From the Sydney Morning Herald,

WAYNE OR RUSTY? BURGESS FACES TOUGH COACHING CALL

Christian Nicolussi

Sam Burgess would love to return to South Sydney and declared: ‘‘ I gave a lot to Souths, I gave my heart to the club, I’d like to think I’ll be back there at some point.’’

Burgess let slip he was eyeing a return to the NRL on Sunday night while attending a NSW Origin field session after being invited by coach Brad Fittler and his assistant Greg Alexander. The powerhouse Englishman is coaching bush football side the Orara Valley Axemen, and has a strong link with Souths owner Russell Crowe.

He is also close to Wayne Bennett who is looking to make an immediate impact with NRL newcomers the Dolphins next year.

Burgess, who has head coaching aspirations - but whose short-term focus is moving into an NRL club’s high-performance unit - confirmed he needed to weigh up a couple of options, including a Souths homecoming . He remains on the Redfern payroll as part of the medicalretirement payout, which continues until the end of the 2024 season. A third NRL club has also reached out Burgess to start work in 2023.

‘‘ I’ll be back somewhere next year, and I need to make a couple of decisions and weigh up what will be beneficial for all involved, including myself, the club and the longevity of my career,’’ Burgess told the Herald. ‘‘ There’s a bit to think through. I’ve built some great relationships over time, I was always an honest player who took a keen interest in management , teams and leadership. Of course Souths is where I’d like to be, I just have to wait and see.’’

Souths coach Jason Demetriou was happy to roll out the red-andgreen welcome mat for the 2014 premiership winner, while Sam’s brother Tom, who celebrates 200 NRL games this weekend, also threw his support behind a return.

‘‘ Sam is passionate about getting into coaching, and there’s always an opportunity to come back to Souths if he wants to do that,’’ Demetriou said. ‘‘ I enjoy working with him, and I know the players love him as well.’’

Younger brother Tom said: ‘‘ He has that really strong mindset, and if he wants to become a head coach in the NRL, he will do it, and there won’t be much that stops him. Sammy loves the red and green, him and Russell have a strong bond, and he’s up there coaching Orara. If Russell has his way, Sam will be coaching here.’’ Burgess was due to oversee Souths’ SG Ball side before he was forced to stand down from all club duties at the end of 2020 due to an NRL investigation sparked by allegations made by his ex-wife Phoebe. He was later fined $30,000 and given a 12-match ban.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Random stat:

We've conceded 6 tries in the last 2 minutes of each half this season (that is the 39th, 40th, 79th and 80th minutes) - the most of any team. The bulldogs have conceded the next most at 4 tries.

Round 5 vs Dragons - 80th minute try conceded
Round 6 vs Bulldogs - 80th minute try conceded
Round 10 vs Warriors - 40th minute try conceded
Round 10 vs Warriors - 79th minute try conceded
Round 11 vs Raiders - 39th minute try conceded
Round 12 vs Tigers - 39th minute try conceded

We also conceded an 80th minute field goal vs the Tigers in Round 7, and a 37th minute try vs the Sea Eagles in Round 8....

callmack1

Staff member
Leading contender emerges for Tigers job: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/13ad572d45d08011826d32ea9965bfed

If John goes, he goes I guess but I would be unhappy if he departed us. I rate Morris as a coach and he's a valuable member of our staff for sure, not to mention a great back up if anything were to ever happen with JD. So I guess we wouldn't stand in his way but I'd hate to see him go.

Round 25 vs Roosters to be Played at New Allianz Stadium: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...roosters-to-be-played-at-new-allianz-stadium/

All confirmed! Awesome news that!

callmack1

Staff member
I'm keen on Suluka-Fifita. From what I've seen of him he has real potential. Aggression and mongrel too which is what we are lacking a bit.

Obviously hated him last year after the way he carried on in Round 3 but if he wants to come back to Souths then I'd welcome him with open arms.

handyman2190

Bench
I'm keen on Suluka-Fifita. From what I've seen of him he has real potential. Aggression and mongrel too which is what we are lacking a bit.

Obviously hated him last year after the way he carried on in Round 3 but if he wants to come back to Souths then I'd welcome him with open arms.
The rorters could sacrifice crighton to keep him,though putting may in front of him may have upsett him,lets hope we get our man for once and lets hope paying top 30 money for that other player we were trying to poach has screwed their finances

handyman2190

Bench
Ill say it again, Alex Johnston is and will always be a souths legend!!!
This likable larikin took way less money to stay with his club, he didnt want to go no matter how much he was offered, his 275k was enough for him and his family, not a greedy bone in his body,except for trys, now thats loyalty, unlike others who site their disloyalty about looking after their family.
I hope we can look after this icon after footy,ive bought 6 of his t shirts for my family if i could i would of got 100, he makes me tear up listening to his loyal words, a true champion!!!!

dudley G

Juniors
Ill say it again, Alex Johnston is and will always be a souths legend!!!
This likable larikin took way less money to stay with his club, he didnt want to go no matter how much he was offered, his 275k was enough for him and his family, not a greedy bone in his body,except for trys, now thats loyalty, unlike others who site their disloyalty about looking after their family.
I hope we can look after this icon after footy,ive bought 6 of his t shirts for my family if i could i would of got 100, he makes me tear up listening to his loyal words, a true champion!!!!
Well said!!