What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Botany Rabbit

Juniors
Your spot on about Cody!!
How does he stay on the field with him inept display? I know. The coach doesn’t have the balls to hook him. JD is a dud esptif the same team takes the field this week with Walker, Paulo and Milne in it!!!

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Rabbitohs ramp up talks for young gun as tricky call on veteran duo looms

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are reportedly ramping up talks to secure the long-term future of Lachlan Ilias despite Thursday night's horror show which saw him hooked against the St George Illawarra Dragons.

The news surrounding Ilias comes with the club also grappling with the decision over whether to re-sign Damien Cook and Cody Walker, who are both off-contract at the end of the 2023 season.

Cook has been on a long-term deal, while Walker, 32, signed a one-year extension to remain with the club for 2023 on November 1 last year - the first day he could have received offers for the 2023 season from rival clubs - effectively snubbing former South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins in the process.

Despite that, the club are now unsure about both he and Cook, with South Sydney's form taking a major hit this year.

Cook in particular has stiff competition in the dummy half role, with Peter Mamouzelos - who played junior football alongside Lachlan Ilias and Blake Taaffe for the club, snapping at the under pressure NSW Blues' Origin hooker's heels.

News Corp's Brent Read told Triple M that Mamouzeols needs game time, but that the Rabbitohs still want Cook contracted beyond the end of 2023.

“What makes it really interesting is they’ve got a young kid Peter Mamouzelos who has got huge raps on him at hooker,” Read said.

“He came through with Lachlan Ilias and Blake Taaffe. I suppose Souths have to juggle Cook’s long-term future with not stopping Mamouzelos and his development.

“Souths want to keep him [Cook] so they will start those negotiations next week but it will be interesting to see how it plays out,” Read added.

“Obviously with Souths you saw what happened with Adam Reynolds. They didn’t want to block Lachlan Ilias’ path and Cook is sort of in a similar position. It’ll be intriguing to see how that one plays out.”

Meanwhile, News Corp are reporting that the Rabbitohs are still hellbent on securing Adam Reynolds' long-term replacement Ilias to a longer deal.

It's understood the club have tabled a deal which would keep him at Redfern until at least the end of 2025, with CEO Blake Solly saying they were hopeful he would elect to stay.

“We are hoping Lachie commits to the club long-term,” Solly said.

“We see him as a huge part of our future and he has bright future with the club. He came through our Jersey Flegg and NSW Cup system.

“Lachie is well liked by everyone at the club and we have made it clear we want him to have a long-term future here.”

callmack1

Staff member
As of right now, I'm happy for Cookie to re-signed. Whether that's one year or two after 2023, I don't know but we do probably need to keep him for at least one year. Cook is heavily criticised on here, but I think a lot of the time, it's unfairly so. If Cookie goes, it will be a real case of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone.' I don't think a lot of people realise how much he does for our side, and we can't lose that right now. Plus, he is a leader and I think he has stood up quite a few times this year when we've needed him to, it's just a shame others haven't gone with him.

In saying that, if Damien is to be retained, we MUST have a plan around Mamouzelos who we absolutely cannot lose. he is our future in that position, and I believe he will be a damn good number nine in time. Not 100% sure what that plan is or should be, but we just can't lose him, I think everyone knows that.

In terms of Cody being re-signed after 2023, the jury is out on that at this current time. I never thought I'd say that as I love Cody and he is one of the best players in the comp on his day, we all know that too. However, he has been very average for all of this year and that is showing no signs of improving. Thursday night was boiling point with Cody for me as he was a detriment to our team. He's not showing leadership and his attitude stinks. If that doesn't change well then his position in the club is up in the air and I never thought that's something I'd say. Hurts to say that but it is true, he needs to pull his finger out.

Very happy if Lachie gets locked up long term as he is our future.

Going to be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Agree we need to hold onto Cookie the jury is out on Cody. As for Ilias I am not sold on him yet he hasn’t been barking at the boys enough like a 7 has too, his kicking game has been a mixed bag and his game management is currently non existent. I hope with some more experience he will only improve. But these are his biggest work ons.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rumours Nathan Brown could come back to Souths. I’d take him would be a solid buy to bring him back to us. Would add some mongrel to our pack. Parra would likely chip in part of his salary too.

handyman2190

Bench
Rumours Nathan Brown could come back to Souths. I’d take him would be a solid buy to bring him back to us. Would add some mongrel to our pack. Parra would likely chip in part of his salary too.
He isnt playing well, were would you put him? He is predominantly a lock, i think his best days are behind him, he would become another mansewer, no thanks, let him retire somewere else