What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
Cameron Murray named captain of the Rabbitohs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/12/18/cameron-murray-named-captain-of-the-rabbitohs/

Yewww!! What fantastic news this is!! There is no one more deserving to captain this great club than Cam. Yes, he's young, but he's absolutely everthing you want in a South Sydney captain.

Firstly, he bleeds Red and Green. Has done all his life. We've had many but it it is always special when we get a skipper that is home grown, a Souths Junior. Cam joins that famous list. It is just so, so special. Hard to put into words. Can only imagine how Cam feels!! He's probably dreamt of this his whole life!

Secondly, he has all the leadership qualities one could want already at a young age. He's one of our best players so leads by his actions, is driven, passionate, well spoken, respectful and he commands respect. He already has an aura about him and no doubt the rest of the squad will look up to him.

I am so, so proud to call a guy like this our captain and if he stays at Souths, all things going well, that's our skipper set for the next ten years, it'll be him.

A very proud day for the club and a very proud day for Cam. 2022 really is a new era and I can't wait to see him lead us out!

Well what exciting news so stoked for him he’s now my new favourite player.

He epitomises what South Sydney is all about and has all the qualities of a leader. He will not let us down.

I just hope Cody isn’t too peeved off about this.
I don't think Cody would be peeved. He would have spoken to JD and agreed with the decision. Cody is as big a team man as you'll ever get and he'll be stoked for Cam. Has already congradulated him on Instagram.

For where we are as a club and where we are headed, Cam is the best choice.

Cody will still be a key leader and Cam will lean on him a lot, there's no doubt about that.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The South Sydney Rabbitohs have had to abandon a pre-season camp in Taree after front-rower Tom Burgess tested positive to Covid 19 and mixed with the players.

Burgess turned up at Redfern Oval on Friday to board the team bus to Latrell Mitchell’s farm on the mid-north coast, where the Rabbitohs were to spend three days under new coach Jason Demetriou.

The English front-rower had flu-like symptoms and was advised not to travel with the team and get tested. He returned a positive result on Saturday morning.

The players in Taree were alerted and a decision was made for the team to return to Sydney because Burgess had been in direct contact with the players.

The entire Rabbitohs squad will now be tested.

Burgess had been holidaying in Byron Bay before returning to Sydney for the training camp.

Byron Bay has had more than 130 Covid positives in the last week.

The Rabbitohs are not the first NRL club affected by the Covid outbreak.

The Knights abandoned training last week for the remainder of the year because of a major spread in Newcastle.

There was also a scare with the NSW Emerging Blues squad last week when players from seven NRL clubs were forced to isolate after a player tested positive.

Source Daily Telegraph

Ikonic

Juniors
Wonder if when Murrays 30 Souths will only offer him 1-year deals.

Reynolds bled red and green too and grew up across the road from Redfern.
Stoked for Cam though, he’s my fave player

callmack1

Staff member
Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Not good. Very foolish of Tom to still turn up despite having symtoms. He has now potentially ruined his teammates Christmas' and disrupted our Pre-Season.

Hopefully we get the all clear from everyone else or this could turn into quite the issue.

Fingers crossed.
He was with the boys training at Redfern the day before anyway mate so even if he didn’t have symptoms then he still could’ve been carrying the virus which means the boys would’ve all needed testing anyway.

Stubby

Juniors
Many years ago a supporter told me that Cameron Murray was the next ray price similar size and similar attitudes how true the prediction the only difference is that Cameron is much better looking

callmack1

Staff member
To all my brethren, i wish you all a very merry xmas.
I hope rockford is ok
Thanks Handy, right back at you.

Jim was banned some time ago for an issue that happened outside our forum. I have no idea what happened but I know he has been banned sadly.

Hellray

Juniors
Weve signed a young 20year old junior kangaroo prop,john giles, poached him from cronulla, 110kg ,now this is what ive been waiting for. While we may not be able to pay big dollars for established stars, this type of player comes
cheap and can grow into something special
This just brings back memories of how we got Tatola. So if this kid could just emulate how junior has progressed and thrived in our system, we could have another winner right here

callmack1

Staff member
Why Nicholls is happy to cop Roosters barbs: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/12/22/why-nicholls-is-happy-to-cop-roosters-barbs/

Explainer - What broadcast deal means for the game: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/12/21/explainer-what-broadcast-deal-means-for-the-game/

NRL set to tweak six again to stop teams exploiting rule change: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/510bf3e1a1de3f542a18e251b498b285

NRL star Sam Burgess reveals his next move - but it's NOT likely to be with his beloved South Sydney Rabbitohs: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-legend-Sam-Burgess-reveals-rugby-league.html

From Zero Tackle,

Daily testing to be implemented ahead of 2022 Season

NRL players are set to face as many as six Covid tests a week when clubs re-form after their Christmas breaks.

According to Paul Crawley of The Daily Telegraph, these new league-mandated measures have been crafted in an effort to stymy any possibility of mass infections ahead of the third straight virus-affected season.

While the competition is yet to see a surge in sidelinings due to any strain of the airborne disease, a trifecta of clubs in South Sydney, Canberra and Newcastle have already had portions of their pre-season training period hindered due to positive test results.

Although the compliance of players and officials has so far allowed the 2020 and 2021 seasons to be completed without a plethora of names entering inactive lists, the likelihood of another spike in community infections has the ability to create headaches.

Incumbent New South Wales Minister for Health Brad Hazzard has previously stated he expects as many as 25,000 new cases to arise each day in January, and given the free rein league players currently have to move within regular society, there remains a likelihood that further cases of contraction will originate.

While a complete Covid elimination is currently an impossibility, NRL CEO Andrew Abdo explained that the move to raise testing numbers will be introduced to create safer working environments.

“It will be much more focussed on prevention and early detection,” Abdo stated.

“So it will be all based on rapid testing before any training session or any time players and officials come together as a group.

“That way we can make sure that we don’t have big portions of the club, or potentially the whole club, going down in a close contact or as a contact situation.”

Although Abdo also stressed that he held hope that the 'bubbles' of the past pair of campaigns would not be required in 2022, the league boss claimed that keeping players on the park was his main concern prior to the festive season.

“For us, continuity of the competition is going to be critical again," he continued.

“It is going to be another challenging year where we are going to have to be using all measures available to make sure we keep everyone safe and we don’t lose games and we don’t lose large groups of players.

“I think the whole playing group and the clubs have shown a lot of discipline to the protocols we put in place and I am sure regular testing will be no different.”

It is not yet known whether any of these measures will have to ability to halt training programs or trial contests when club's summer programs resume in the new year.

Latest posts