What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

BIG RIG

Juniors
So do u guys reckon this is the end of our forwards spending spree and we use the rest of our roster spots for some depth I’m other positions

or do we all of sudden sign up Dylan Napa hahaha

thebigredv

First Grade
Terrific post.

👍

Mate, I know you will be just like me. Trying to move past an absolute horror of a season for Dragons fans and the season somehow keeps coming up to bite. We can all learn to cop short term pain for long term gain but while the Panthers revel in the glory of putting in the hard yards and forward planning five years ago, we should be doing better than signing the entire NRL nursing home. Our ability to develop and hold onto talent is another sore point. The contrast is ridiculous.

Hopefully November 1 brings the top tier prop, hooker, second rower we need, and we can at least start to look forward to 2023. That's all I got in terms of positivity.

The same posters lauding Woods and Mbye signings will be the same individuals who backed the signing the likes of Merrin and McCrone. They don't realise that with a bit of effort, a bit of professionalism and a lot of money, you are allowed to sign quality players and have them wear the red vee.

Still, we will both be there trying to will our ramshackle rugby league team to a win or two next year.

Dragon David

First Grade
We cant blame the recruiting team. Isn't Griffin the one that tells the recruiters who he wants.
Hook would have a lot to say as to what he needs to be recruited. Millward's hearing is suffering now that he is getting older and instead of going for tough, young, big, mobile forwards that Hook wants, Millward thinks he said, flimsy, old, fat, slow forwards.

Hook's recipe for success is a little bit of this and a little bit of that and away we go!

I applauded your earlier post and you got most correct in this one.. but I will take you on with Merrin. Junior Kangaroo, local junior. Merrin was good value and I was a bit dumfounded when he left. Like I always am and expect you are too, when we lose good players. Merrins second coming in the RedV showed us his best was well behind him.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
We dont appear to have much young talent up front so at worst Woods could be a huge help in mentoring those who we have coming through. Bit of hysteria on here at present but you have got to ask the question "Will Burgess & Woods provide more value for money ( on f**kall ! ) rather than the reserve graders we have had in their positions over the past 2 seasons ?

thebigredv

First Grade
I applauded your earlier post and you got most correct in this one.. but I will take you on with Merrin. He was good while with us and was a bit dumfounded when he left. When we finally got him back his best was well behind him.

I'm referring to when Mary got him back and Merrin himself was the one who had to realise he was past it.

But if I want to be controversial....As much as I love him, I feel James Graham was another forward signed in his twilight who played with unmatched passion but was well past his best and also had to call time prematurely.

Do you see the pattern here?

denis preston

First Grade
I'm referring to when Mary got him back and Merrin himself was the one who had to realise he was past it.

But if I want to be controversial....As much as I love him, I feel James Graham was another forward signed in his twilight who played with unmatched passion but was well past his best and also had to call time prematurely.

Do you see the pattern here?
Sure , IF they all were on similar money. Graham on 600k plus , Merrin 550k plus as opposed to sign on / match payments for Burgess and not much more for Woods. What really hurts a club is players on 700k plus not performing for what they are taking up of the salary cap.
Look on the bright side Red V , we will have a very good Canterbury Cup side next season ! Mind you if we use it as a springboard for our Flegg / SG Ball players introduction to senior football ( which is a good idea ) some like Alvaro & the farmer may play in the Illawarra league !

BIG RIG

Juniors
We dont appear to have much young talent up front so at worst Woods could be a huge help in mentoring those who we have coming through. Bit of hysteria on here at present but you have got to ask the question "Will Burgess & Woods provide more value for money ( on f**kall ! ) rather than the reserve graders we have had in their positions over the past 2 seasons ?
I agree if it keeps Alvaro and Ford out of the side I’m fine with it

thebigredv

First Grade
Sure , IF they all were on similar money. Graham on 600k plus , Merrin 550k plus as opposed to sign on / match payments for Burgess and not much more for Woods. What really hurts a club is players on 700k plus not performing for what they are taking up of the salary cap.
Look on the bright side Red V , we will have a very good Canterbury Cup side next season ! Mind you if we use it as a springboard for our Flegg / SG Ball players introduction to senior football ( which is a good idea ) some like Alvaro & the farmer may play in the Illawarra league !

Fair point on salary, that is a marked difference, but at this rate we must be running out with a squad worth well under the entitled amount (1-1.5mil less?? that's conservative). I get the over spending conundrum but not sure what the point of that is. I guess at this point I wouldn't be plugging holes with has-been players in our squad if I was Griffin. I would be waiting for the first disgruntled stars to become available next season. Not a great plan, but when did it become ok to hand any tom, dick or harry a Dragons jersey and say 'wear that'.

Recruitment and salary cap is not always a very transparent thing for the average fan but the squad we are continually left with is proof of the mismanagement. There are countless examples of this. Hook was rightly only given two years to fix it and so far I can't say he is passing the test. Hopefully November 1 brings better news but not holding my breath.

As for reserve grade, if covid has it way it will be a while before we see any canterbury cup. Denying the world of Alvaro - what a crime!

The Word

Juniors
So do u guys reckon this is the end of our forwards spending spree and we use the rest of our roster spots for some depth I’m other positions

or do we all of sudden sign up Dylan Napa hahaha
No, the club is definitely gearing up for one more big signing in the forwards department. It's very hard signing quality forwards at the top of their game. Most of them are playing for the successful clubs and have no interest in moving to the dragons. We would have to pay significantly overs to get them, which creates even more problems.

The problem is we just haven't been producing enough quality young forwards, big and strong enough to compete in the NRL. In my view this has been our biggest issue over the last 5 to 10 years. Looking at the players currently being handed development contracts, we may be finally turning a corner. They're not quite there yet, but hopefully we can start to integrate them like we have with the young backs this year.

Latest posts