What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Dragon David

First Grade
with the storms track record of cheating you wouldnt know what goes on there TBH
They may all have very generous TPPs or just brown paper bags dropped off who knows

Yes most players would be prefer a winning culture and a chance at a premiership
Sadly not something we can offer for a long time IMO

The whole salary cap is a joke , there is no distribution players evenly across clubs and until that happens there will be a top 6 and the rest of the rabble unable attract players
some clubs clearly keeping players that shouldnt fit under their caps , paying big TPPs etc

I dont follow AFL but if they can use a draft system how is it that for NRL this is a restriction of trade , this sounds like a joke

they should have a scoring system independant of how much money and each team cannot hold more than there allocation of points
each club has an assessor who joins a panel to allocate points based on the quality of player , recent rep selection etc
Juniors you brought thru are heavily discounted as are long term players eg >10 yrs service

you have to release players to stay under your score simple as that .
Like the idea of a points system in conjunction with a salary cap. Then if teams want to pay overs they can (without bankrupting themselves) and certain other teams can't keep gaming the system just because they're "well run".
I agree that a better system should be instituted with a salary cap and points system and it's long overdue.

The bottom line for the also run teams is that they just cannot attract top class players and compete against the top 5-6 teams the way the system just on salary cap conditions alone go.

The other thing is even when you dangle good money at some players, they just don't want to go to any old club.

denis preston

First Grade
The Gordons involvement to me has only been to the detriment of the club
Done nothing and been key to the last 7-8yrs misery

I assumed when they bought in that this would transform things like at Souths and Rorters , good 3rd party "bonuses" typical at Rorters with uncle Nick .
Sadly NO

They have 100's millions is my understanding ??

If I had that sort of money and loved the club Id be pumping some in and making a difference , state art facilities and attracting star players attractive TPPs and top notch staff

instead same old shit , Dragons footy and protecting Peanut for years from being removed

Definately should have gone with the other suitors IMO
Yes and how easy would it have been to get 3rd party ? They are a media company FFS !!

Trifili13

Juniors
Problem I can see with a points system is say a player is worth 100 points and you have signed him for 3 years, what happens if he becomes a SOO player in the second year and he is now valued at 200 points? Do you have to release someone to get under a points cap?

The reason I think the draft is still in place in the AFL is simply no one has challenged it. First to challenge it and it will be abolished as a restraint of trade as there is already a precedent with the NRL.

The return of a draft IMO would be a miracle in the NRL and it simply does not suit the big teams as when they enter the market they want first crack at the best players so they can use their "good culture" and "players happy to play for unders". Can't have the bottom feeder clubs getting their way.

While the Rooster's have had key players retiring and injuries, I can't keep hearing the crap that they are decimated. They still have Teddy, Tupou, Manu, JMoz, S Walker, JWH, Verrills, Liu, Crighton, Radley, Taukeiaho, Tupouniua. That's 12 players named this week that would make most, if not all teams starting sides. You would think they are down to development players or have to drag someone from the pub to have a game. But the salary cap is working as far as the NRL is concerned, nothing to see here, move along.

BLM01

First Grade
Problem I can see with a points system is say a player is worth 100 points and you have signed him for 3 years, what happens if he becomes a SOO player in the second year and he is now valued at 200 points? Do you have to release someone to get under a points cap?

The reason I think the draft is still in place in the AFL is simply no one has challenged it. First to challenge it and it will be abolished as a restraint of trade as there is already a precedent with the NRL.

The return of a draft IMO would be a miracle in the NRL and it simply does not suit the big teams as when they enter the market they want first crack at the best players so they can use their "good culture" and "players happy to play for unders". Can't have the bottom feeder clubs getting their way.

While the Rooster's have had key players retiring and injuries, I can't keep hearing the crap that they are decimated. They still have Teddy, Tupou, Manu, JMoz, S Walker, JWH, Verrills, Liu, Crighton, Radley, Taukeiaho, Tupouniua. That's 12 players named this week that would make most, if not all teams starting sides. You would think they are down to development players or have to drag someone from the pub to have a game. But the salary cap is working as far as the NRL is concerned, nothing to see here, move along.
Point 1 . Yep but they can apply discount to a club mid contract in those circumstances because you are allocated points on Nov 1 and that cannot change to the following Nov 1 upon review. Discount applies for 1 future only and more if you developed the player

Trifili13

Juniors
Point 1 . Yep but they can apply discount to a club mid contract in those circumstances because you are allocated points on Nov 1 and that cannot change to the following Nov 1 upon review. Discount applies for 1 future only and more if you developed the player
I'm sure the geniuses at NRL head office will have some convoluted points system with start dates, re-evaluation dates, what signifies a developed player, but as soon as it doesn't suit the big boys, look out for exemptions, ala must be 18 to play first grade.

I wish we can return to the days when we ate at the head table and not where all the single people and misfits are grouped.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm sure the geniuses at NRL head office will have some convoluted points system with start dates, re-evaluation dates, what signifies a developed player, but as soon as it doesn't suit the big boys, look out for exemptions, ala must be 18 to play first grade.

I wish we can return to the days when we ate at the head table and not where all the single people and misfits are grouped.
"I wish we can return to the days when we ate at the head table and not where all the single people and misfits are grouped."

It probably will happen, but as BLM021 has said, not in the 20's.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

The draft in the AFL is part of the culture of their game, same applies to the NFL and a host of other sports around the world. It wouldn't attract any attention of restraint, due to this reason, and the fact it is sold as such. The NRL will never embrace it as it would never form part of the culture of the game.

I think we have discussed this on numerous threads of the past, where the only way around this would be a trade window or windows, and I tend to like this idea.

More recently, I believe more work can be done around this new player loan system. For example: we just had on loan JTB from the Warriors. It gave him an opportunity to play some football and at 1st grade level, an opportunity he wouldn't have got if he was stuck in the Warriors system and they had no injuries.

Trifili13

Juniors
The draft in the AFL is part of the culture of their game, same applies to the NFL and a host of other sports around the world. It wouldn't attract any attention of restraint, due to this reason, and the fact it is sold as such. The NRL will never embrace it as it would never form part of the culture of the game.

I think we have discussed this on numerous threads of the past, where the only way around this would be a trade window or windows, and I tend to like this idea.

More recently, I believe more work can be done around this new player loan system. For example: we just had on loan JTB from the Warriors. It gave him an opportunity to play some football and at 1st grade level, an opportunity he wouldn't have got if he was stuck in the Warriors system and they had no injuries.
Agree DS, we don't have that sort of culture in the NRL.
Re any loan system, I think the NRL should be very careful because I can see teams manipulating the system to get a player to fill a gap 1 month out from finals. Let's say the Storm or Rooster's get an injury to a forward and Titans who are out of the running for the semis and Fifita goes for a 4 week stint and they win the comp. Happening right now with TPJ and Penrith because one of their players wants to be at the birth of their child. They should not be able to replace him with a player outside their squad. I am sure the NRL will put cut off dates but can see this being rorted.

BLM01

First Grade
On in
Re any loan system, I think the NRL should be very careful because I can see teams manipulating the system to get a player to fill a gap 1 month out from finals. Let's say the Storm or Rooster's get an injury to a forward and Titans who are out of the running for the semis and Fifita goes for a 4 week stint and they win the comp. Happening right now with TPJ and Penrith because one of their players wants to be at the birth of their child. They should not be able to replace him with a player outside their squad. I am sure the NRL will put cut off dates but can see this being r
Re any loan system, I think the NRL should be very careful because I can see teams manipulating the system to get a player to fill a gap 1 month out from finals. Let's say the Storm or Rooster's get an injury to a forward and Titans who are out of the running for the semis and Fifita goes for a 4 week stint and they win the comp. Happening right now with TPJ and Penrith because one of their players wants to be at the birth of their child. They should not be able to replace him with a player outside their squad. I am sure the NRL will put cut off dates but can see this being rorted.
It already is a rort
I’ve always said if you sign a contract and you started at a club on November 1 a minimum you must stay until October 31 of the following year
You can break a contract if the club or player wishes after that year
Helps the fans and kids engage with their players and teams for that year

But the loan system has merit to a point in these times but it should only be allowed for clubs who have no replacements available in their Top 30 or can not draw from elsewhere within cause of injury and under the same rules as Warriors as they had to call him back when they run out of players

the loaned player must return to his club when the club has available players for selection in that position back from injury in the Top 30 like Dragons we’re intending

Trifili13

Juniors
Agree with you BLM01, however I can see the rort where a team says the only players available in their 30 are not ready for first grade and get a dispensation or doctor/ player says they are still injured. If you are a young bloke and Bellamy, Robbo or any other coach tells you to say you are still injured as we need to get so and so to our club to win the comp and that junior wouldn't be playing anyway, I think we can all join the dots of what will happen. Am I simply getting older and just suspicious?

A potential work around is all clubs must have a feeder team in the second tier in NSW or QLD or NZ (if they don't already) and can only use those players if you run out of your top 30, not go cherry picking from other teams.

Como Connection

First Grade
On in

It already is a rort
I’ve always said if you sign a contract and you started at a club on November 1 a minimum you must stay until October 31 of the following year
You can break a contract if the club or player wishes after that year
Helps the fans and kids engage with their players and teams for that year

But the loan system has merit to a point in these times but it should only be allowed for clubs who have no replacements available in their Top 30 or can not draw from elsewhere within cause of injury and under the same rules as Warriors as they had to call him back when they run out of players

the loaned player must return to his club when the club has available players for selection in that position back from injury in the Top 30 like Dragons we’re intending
"It's only a rort if you are not in it."
CC

Trifili13

Juniors
If contracts values in the press are close to correct that Vaughan would have been on $800k next year and we were in the running for Finucane who went for let's say $650-750k pa to the Sharks, we have money in that range for a top notch forward. Hope they don't waste it on 2 or 3 plodders at say $250k each or is that too much to ask from the geniuses running our club?

BIG RIG

Juniors
If contracts values in the press are close to correct that Vaughan would have been on $800k next year and we were in the running for Finucane who went for let's say $650-750k pa to the Sharks, we have money in that range for a top notch forward. Hope they don't waste it on 2 or 3 plodders at say $250k each or is that too much to ask from the geniuses running our club?
Yep the club will take that money and sign Fifita , Woods and Dugan 😂😂

In all seriousness I’d love if the club went after Tyrone Peachey and Connor Watson

SGMax

Juniors
If Brandon Smith is leaving the Storm we need to make sure it is to the Dragons.
Smith completes our forward pack with his versatility, aggression and leadership.
JDB covers prop and Lock.
Smith covers Lock and Hooker.

With Burgess (once confirmed), Molo, JDB, Maguire, Kerr and Lawrie our front row looks good for 2022.
2nd Row with Sims, Fui, Sua, Burns and Ford looks OK. Kerr and Bird are also options.
I like Bird at centre and with Lomax and Ravs there, it means we can bring a couple of young backs in without too much pressure and expectation (Sloan, Ramsey, Amone).
I think 2 youngsters in the backline and 1 in the halves is sufficient. Bring in more as reserves or in 2023.

We need a good experienced 14 and I think Mbye or Peachey would be good (Peach is a grub but thats OK if he is with us). Mbye may be the pick as is better cover for Sloan.

Dragon David

First Grade
What a rort. Just play the best players you have in the squad. Bad luck if a player needs to be at the birth of his child. Didn't that Penrith player know about family planning - don't plan to have the birth during February to November. Yes December to January is fine.

This year has been a crazy f..k of suspensions, injuries, new rules, loans, relocations to another state. Soon there will be games online.

Trifili13

Juniors
The NRL has bastardized the game so much in recent years pandering to the tv stations, other interest groups, propping up favoured teams with decisions, etc, that the game is no longer the same. While thuggery has been correctly removed, those with Foxtel that see old games during the off season can see how much cleaner the play the balls were, etc (IMO), I don't recall supporters saying the game was too fast so let's grapple or the play the ball is being slowed down so lets just hand out 6 agains for the fun if it. As you said DD, we will be playing it online soon.