What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

I've posted about this before , how managers now like dealing with the club.
That is because of change in management coaching and recruitment right down the line.

Even if Hook leaves after this season he will leave the club in a better position than when he started , unlike the previous two appointments.

We may not be attracting the elite yet but we have moved up a tier. This all bides well for the future.

I expect a top 8 finish which should be achievable.
I’ve programmed my smoke alarms to sound whenever you post. Works a treat. Really appreciate your insights but the neighbours are a bit pissed off.

Gareth67

First Grade
we don't need him mate just put young sullivan on the bench, after 20 minutes pull McCullough after he has made his 50 odd tackles move hunt to dummy half sullivan to halfback then just sit back and see what he and amone and sloan can do.
Yes jak , just watching TruSaint’s video clip from above show that the youngsters are certainly capable of causing a lot of trouble to the opposition , more so when they combine .

Good level headed kids whom will give their best when on the field .

Nicholas Kosic

Juniors
Agree that Brandon Smith will not be in the Dragons sights , according to Fox his agent has or shall be emailing each of the 16 clubs requesting that they put in their best offer - “ this will separate the wheat from the chaff “ said the man .

When up against the big spenders and sombrero bidders of the NRL , the Dragons would not have a chance , we would more than likely end up in the chaff container - if we were interested in him .
Do they wear sombreros in Bermuda 🏖

denis preston

First Grade
Do they wear sombreros in Bermuda 🏖
This baffles the hell out of me.If any owner of a Rugby league side that would be in a great position to entice 3rd party surely it would be a national television network ? Kick in some discounts ( with no evidence that we approached them of course ) for reduced advertising rates in exchange for TP's and there you have it. WTF is WIN contributing apart from their initial ( discounted ) buy price & gormless son ?

Maddragon99

Juniors
Good kid and good pick-up for you guys. "Boom rookie" yet to be seen. Unfortunately, he was behind a few here and pathway was a little crowed.

I see 'the Mole' has been scouring our forum, for tid-bits as this was reported on one of our threads about 2 or 3 weeks ago.
I agree with you, Lui is unproven could easily turn out to be another Jackson Hastings. Both Amone & Sullivan have shown they can cut it at First Grade level so best resources are dedicated to retaining them both long term.

The major pathway issue we have is Sullivan being stuck behind Hunt for another 2yrs. The question is will Hook switch Hunt to 9 if that means keeping Sullivan or is Sullivan happy to be patient & stay on behind Hunt?

I know Hunt was our player of the year in ‘21 plus had a good Origin series but will he be able to maintain that form for another two full seasons? Is the risk worth losing Sullivan?

Griffin had nothing to do with Hunt’s contract but he’s stuck with trying to fit both Hunt & Sullivan in the same team. Very vexing issue.

BBTB

Juniors
I agree with you, Lui is unproven could easily turn out to be another Jackson Hastings. Both Amone & Sullivan have shown they can cut it at First Grade level so best resources are dedicated to retaining them both long term.

The major pathway issue we have is Sullivan being stuck behind Hunt for another 2yrs. The question is will Hook switch Hunt to 9 if that means keeping Sullivan or is Sullivan happy to be patient & stay on behind Hunt?

I know Hunt was our player of the year in ‘21 plus had a good Origin series but will he be able to maintain that form for another two full seasons? Is the risk worth losing Sullivan?

Griffin had nothing to do with Hunt’s contract but he’s stuck with trying to fit both Hunt & Sullivan in the same team. Very vexing issue.
They the type of problems we like. Competition breeds success....

Maddragon99

Juniors
They the type of problems we like. Competition breeds success....
Far too early to call Sullivan top tier halfback but he’s shown enough to give us hope he could be a very good player.

There are two things which are certain, 1) top tier halfbacks are very difficult to find and 2) it’s very difficult to win a premiership without very good halfback.

Hunt has been with us for 5 seasons (I think) & hasn’t really accomplished much so is keeping Hunt happy worth the risk of losing Sullivan?

A spine of Sloan, Amone & Hunt is mouthwatering.

denis preston

First Grade
Far too early to call Sullivan top tier halfback but he’s shown enough to give us hope he could be a very good player.

There are two things which are certain, 1) top tier halfbacks are very difficult to find and 2) it’s very difficult to win a premiership without very good halfback.

Hunt has been with us for 5 seasons (I think) & hasn’t really accomplished much so is keeping Hunt happy worth the risk of losing Sullivan?

A spine of Sloan, Amone & Hunt is mouthwatering.
I think you will find that Sullivan will play a interchange support role and will actually get some games at 7 but Hunt has preference, and why wouldn't he after the season he just had at 7. 2023 could be Hunt 9 and Sullivan 7 based on Bud's NRL experience gained in 2022. Interesting to see where anyone else fits in at hooker ( Mbye ? ) but that's why we held off signing a No 9 . Long term plans in progress it seems as opposed to knee jerk signings. The 3 year contract for Mcculloch maybe will come back to bite us as he could be worn out and redundant by year 3.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I think you will find that Sullivan will play a interchange support role and will actually get some games at 7 but Hunt has preference, and why wouldn't he after the season he just had at 7. 2023 could be Hunt 9 and Sullivan 7 based on Bud's NRL experience gained in 2022. Interesting to see where anyone else fits in at hooker ( Mbye ? ) but that's why we held off signing a No 9 . Long term plans in progress it seems as opposed to knee jerk signings. The 3 year contract for Mcculloch maybe will come back to bite us as he could be worn out and redundant by year 3.
Assuming Tariq Sims isn’t retained after ‘22 that’s rumoured to free about $800k I’d like to see that money invested in Sloan, Amone & Sullivan. That could be our spine for the next decade. We just need to find a long term 9 & then we are sorted.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
All I want to add here is that there is healthy competition for all spots now. Which players play in which positions will be determined by pre-season, trials and general form (not excluding injuries and suspensions).
There was good competition as well last year especially in the halves yet Griffin picked Corey Norman so I have a feeling all Mbye needs to do is have 1 good game and the juniors won't get a look in. Griffin is very similar to Mary, he has favourites unfortunately and sticks with them which I have a feeling Mbye will be one of those. I seriously hope not as Sullivan and Amone are the future halves combo.

Maddragon99

Juniors
There was good competition as well last year especially in the halves yet Griffin picked Corey Norman so I have a feeling all Mbye needs to do is have 1 good game and the juniors won't get a look in. Griffin is very similar to Mary, he has favourites unfortunately and sticks with them which I have a feeling Mbye will be one of those. I seriously hope not as Sullivan and Amone are the future halves combo.
I could see the rationale of giving Amone & Sullivan time to gel together in NSW Cup, that makes some sense. But if Griffin picks Mbye at Fullback I’m going to blow up deluxe. Sloan has to be our preferred fullback in ‘22.

But yes I agree, Mbye could easily be the new Norman which will be a problem.

denis preston

First Grade
Is there a reason that Mbye can't retain the form from his Bulldogs days ? Has he had a injury that has slowed him down ? If he gets back to that form then that would throw a spanner in the works !

Old Timer

Coach
Is there a reason that Mbye can't retain the form from his Bulldogs days ? Has he had a injury that has slowed him down ? If he gets back to that form then that would throw a spanner in the works !
DP
I wonder how many giving it to the club re Mybe actually we’re in the “good player” camp of Pereira, Williame, Fuimaono etc etc.

Mybe a lot better than any those and if he does regain some Billdogs form will be far more than handy and as you imply could give us some long waited for selection headaches.

Latest posts