What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Crush

Coach

Dragon David

First Grade

A good read, enjoy
We have reasonably good depth for next year, however, the worrying issues are with Bud Sullivan, Bird, the Feagai brothers. The team shown in the Roar looks to me to be the one that Hook will be naming for round 1 subject to pre-season and trial games efforts.

After November 1 we should know who will go and who will stay out of these guys.

George Dragon

Juniors

St George legend Craig Young gives Dragons fans reason to hope in 2022​

Incoming Dragons chairman Craig Young opens up about the club’s poor on-field results, the future of coach Anthony Griffin and his plan for the joint venture

Craig Young says you cannot hide from the fact that it has been a few lean years for St George Illawarra.

Young steps into the role as chairman of the Dragons on Monday taking on one of the few positions he has yet to hold at the club. The premiership winning captain turned coach, recruitment officer and board member replaces Andrew Gordon as part of the three year rotating tenure ship between WIN and the St George side of the joint venture.

Gordon remains part of the Dragons board.

In his first interview ahead of officially taking the position Young discusses the Dragons lean period, Anthony Griffin’s future and St George Illawarra’s long-term plans.

HOT SEAT

Young jokes that he was “was a water boy once too” so there are not too many roles within the organisation during his four decade association with St George that he has not held. He ended his career as one of the club’s most decorated players before turning his hand to coaching. Young was also part of Wayne Bennett’s staff during the 2010 premiership win and has most recently been chairman of the St George District Rugby League Club.

“The advantage is I started at the bottom and I know how it all works,” Young said. “How passionate people like the gear stewards are. It’s not all the top end. It’s a great honour. You think of the history of the place. I’m very enthusiastic and I want to help the club.

“From the football side of things, it’s important for me. I have a keen eye on the footy and I have confidence in the coach.”

ON-FIELD WOES

The Dragons have won just two finals games since Bennett’s departure at the end of 2011 – and have made the top eight just once in the past six years. Young knows results need to shift dramatically.

“I’m not saying we are going to win the competition or finish in the top four – we just need to get into the semi finals,” Young said. “The fans are sick and tired of not (featuring). It’s as simple as that. You can’t hide from the fact.

“We are at a transition phase. We rotated the roster around. There’s 16 players who have been taken out of the club and we brought some experience in.

“We have to get the culture right. That’s the first thing and discipline to make it a success. There’s no hiding from the fact that it there was ill-discipline and poor decisions. The players understand that now. They understand the mistake.

“(The lean period has) a lot to do with roster management. At times you lose focus and you look at players individually. You have to look at them collectively. It’s a team environment

We have to get the culture right. I’m confident the players we bought in are strike players. We had trouble scoring points last season. We just need some consistency with the same team on the field for longer periods of time and will be OK. We had to let local juniors go like Matt Dufty which wasn’t ideal but it’s a professional business.

“Players like George Burgess, he is confident in his rehab. He has only played like eight games in the last two years. He is keen. (Son) Dean said Francis Molo is very coachable and wants to get better which is good.”

COACHING FUTURE

Coach Anthony Griffin heads into the final year of his two year deal. The club have an option in their favour to retain him for another 12 months. Griffin presented his review to the board which identified the culture and discipline of the club needed to improve.

“He has done well with the roster for next year,” Young said. “We have some players who want success who haven’t had success. That’s important. He has made a few changes to his staff. We will make a decision on the coach earlier than later. We have to.”

THE PLAN FORWARD

Young said the path was clear off the field.

“Our priority is getting a performance centre,” Young said. “We’ve put a submission into the government and we should have an indication by December. It’s a big project on Wollongong University campus. That’s the big step. The facilities aren’t great at WIN Stadium but that’s not everything.”

The Dragons will also celebrate St George’s centenary after Covid-19 plagued plans this year. A team of the century will be announced plus more legends will be added to the walk of fame outside Netstrata Jubilee Oval.

Dragon David

First Grade

Incoming Dragons chairman Craig Young opens up about the club’s poor on-field results, the future of coach Anthony Griffin and his plan for the joint venture

Craig Young says you cannot hide from the fact that it has been a few lean years for St George Illawarra.

Young steps into the role as chairman of the Dragons on Monday taking on one of the few positions he has yet to hold at the club. The premiership winning captain turned coach, recruitment officer and board member replaces Andrew Gordon as part of the three year rotating tenure ship between WIN and the St George side of the joint venture.

In his first interview ahead of officially taking the position Young discusses the Dragons lean period, Anthony Griffin’s future and St George Illawarra’s long-term plans.

HOT SEAT

Young jokes that he was “was a water boy once too” so there are not too many roles within the organisation during his four decade association with St George that he has not held. He ended his career as one of the club’s most decorated players before turning his hand to coaching. Young was also part of Wayne Bennett’s staff during the 2010 premiership win and has most recently been chairman of the St George District Rugby League Club.

“The advantage is I started at the bottom and I know how it all works,” Young said. “How passionate people like the gear stewards are. It’s not all the top end. It’s a great honour. You think of the history of the place. I’m very enthusiastic and I want to help the club.

“From the football side of things, it’s important for me. I have a keen eye on the footy and I have confidence in the coach.”

ON-FIELD WOES

The Dragons have won just two finals games since Bennett’s departure at the end of 2011 – and have made the top eight just once in the past six years. Young knows results need to shift dramatically.

“I’m not saying we are going to win the competition or finish in the top four – we just need to get into the semi finals,” Young said. “The fans are sick and tired of not (featuring). It’s as simple as that. You can’t hide from the fact.

“We are at a transition phase. We rotated the roster around. There’s 16 players who have been taken out of the club and we brought some experience in.

“We have to get the culture right. That’s the first thing and discipline to make it a success. There’s no hiding from the fact that it there was ill-discipline and poor decisions. The players understand that now. They understand the mistake.

“(The lean period has) a lot to do with roster management. At times you lose focus and you look at players individually. You have to look at them collectively. It’s a team environment

We have to get the culture right. I’m confident the players we bought in are strike players. We had trouble scoring points last season. We just need some consistency with the same team on the field for longer periods of time and will be OK. We had to let local juniors go like Matt Dufty which wasn’t ideal but it’s a professional business.

“Players like George Burgess, he is confident in his rehab. He has only played like eight games in the last two years. He is keen. (Son) Dean said Francis Molo is very coachable and wants to get better which is good.”

COACHING FUTURE

Coach Anthony Griffin heads into the final year of his two year deal. The club have an option in their favour to retain him for another 12 months. Griffin presented his review to the board which identified the culture and discipline of the club needed to improve.

“He has done well with the roster for next year,” Young said. “We have some players who want success who haven’t had success. That’s important. He has made a few changes to his staff. We will make a decision on the coach earlier than later. We have to.”

THE PLAN FORWARD

“Our priority is getting a performance centre,” Young said. “We’ve put a submission into the government and we should have an indication by December. It’s a big project on Wollongong University campus. That’s the big step. The facilities aren’t great at WIN Stadium but that’s not everything.”

The Dragons will also celebrate St George’s centenary after Covid-19 plagued plans this year. A team of the century will be announced plus more legends will be added to the walk of fame outside Netstrata Jubilee Oval.

Thanks George!

Dragon David

First Grade
Hey guys. I used to be able to watch video stuff on the Dragons official website but now I can't. There is a message every time I try that "Sorry, this video is currently unavailable. Please try again soon" I've tried many times but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers DD

Dragonslayer

First Grade

HOT SEAT

ON-FIELD WOES

COACHING FUTURE

THE PLAN FORWARD

Good read, thanks @George Dragon.

Interesting and some real standout points.

1. Understanding that the centenary needs to be a focus
2. Centre of Excellence is moving forward
3. And arguably the most debated is the future of Griffin.

On point 3, the 'decision to be made sooner rather than later', and that 'Griffin has presented his review to the Club', identifying areas such as culture, will to win etc as the main points.

Gareth67

First Grade

A good read, enjoy
A man after my own heart ! He certainly did not attempt to give the club fans any false hopes , but dissected the quality of the recruits for what he believes they could possibly offer - anything above his estimation will be cream on top .

After reading his article I feel more pleased about our chances of getting close to a top 8 berth at seasons end .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Sooner rather than later .....Why ? Doesn't the Mary years of pathetic backends to seasons resonate at all with management ?

Hi Denis.
There are many reasons for and against re-signing a head coach 'sooner rather than later'.
Just making the finals plays a part, but it's not the over-riding factor. A point that seems to be the only determining factor for some. If it was the case then we'd probably be turning over the head coach every year or couple of years. That doesn't build stability, nor does it build confidence in attracting and keeping talent.

As CY mentioned our 'culture', 'ill-discipline' and 'poor decisions' have really messed our great club up. That doesn't get fixed over-night. The 'culture' is being corrected as is the 'ill-discipline'. Played who were party to thises things have been moved on, players have been brought in that will be the correct role models and ambassadores. The 'poor decisions', i feel, centred around recruiting the wrong players on inflated $$ and not focusing on juniors (wasn't it said that McGregor never went to any juniors games!).

If they choose to activate the club option on Hook (1yr) that's not the wrong thing to do, remember a coach can be sacked at anytime, especially if they've lost the dressing room. That doesn't appear to be the case. Again reading what CY said he has 'confidence in the coach'.

So as it stsnds and putting 2 and 2 together, ie: confidence in the coach and sooner rather than later, what does that equal =?

I love Craig’s passion for St.George. But it does worry me reading him say he’s been there for 40 years so he knows how it all works. I mean ..... ok point taken in the spirit he probably meant it, but if things still work the way they did 40 years ago then we’re miles off.

Last edited:

jeffdragon

Bench
Draw comes out at the end of the week for 22.
We will get sharks and dogs ×2 for sure.
Souths v Brisbane looks like being pencilled in for Round 1.

Latest posts