What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

mickeylane

Bench
I think at the end of next year the Dolphins will be into our forward stocks. We have great depth and some will lose patience plus the money and go.
Dolphins will finish dead last first year...will be very painful for them 2023...

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
A lot of interesting chat from you guys about positions and players, and may i add no-one is wrong with their selections atm.
So, in saying that, I can see a team, based on recruitment that could look something like:
1. Sloan or Ramsey
2. Moga
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Amone
7. Hunt

A fully fit and injury free Moga, playing wing or centre, at 194cm and 109kg, would cause some serious damage, (and yes, he's played wing before) espcially mixed with Suli, 189cm and 109kg. Thats on one side. On the other, Lomax with Rava.
Young Sloan (my preferred fb) with his speed and try sniffing sense would be leading try scorer hanging off these 4 above.

No mail or anything on this but just throwing another possibility around.
Yep- Moga and Suli could well be the bruise brothers left side combo we have been waiting for to balance up the Lomax Rava right- as long as Moga, like Bird, hasn't lost too much pace due to his many injuries.

We saw evidence of the telepathic understanding between Amone and Sloan (their names even rhyme!) with the Amone kick and Sloan chase and score at the end of last season. IMO we need to foster that and throw in Sullivan at 14 to complete the trifecta.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
To me it doesn’t make sense to have so much bulk in the backline. We need to balance bulk with speed. Having Suli and Moga could be a liability. Big centres need speed on their outside. Plus with the changes to the game and more tiring defences, speedy outside backs around the middle of the park are gold.

In saying that Rava is a must. So to me Ramsay or Matt F should definitely be on the other Wong.
I'm not going to disagree with you about the need for speed on the wing but height in the modern game is also an advantage- both in defending bombs as well as scoring from them. As long as Moga is reasonably quick (ie as fast as if not faster than Suli), I'd be giving him first crack. Ramsay is on record as saying he wants to play full-back so I'm not even sure his heart would be in a wing spot.

possm

Coach
Well I will bite the bullet , my 1st string pack would be . . .

Molo
McCulloch
Burgess
S’ua
Simms
JDB

Woods , McGuire , Kerr .

I would be alternating Molo between prop and 2nd row with Simms moving to the bench . To me Molo is the more damaging of the two , therefore bringing in McGuire as prop .

That is a far more balanced pack that have the back three as who enjoy the defensive work and the two bookends being tough as teak .
I still hope that Sims, playing for a new contract with other clubs, will have a blinder in 2022.

Retaining Sloan, Amone, and Sullivan is of little note if we are not going to play them in the early rounds of 2022. I say for goodness sake try them and if they don't scrub up, replace them until they do scrub up.

slippery5

Juniors
The backline will be close to this but I think Feagai or Ramsay will start on one wing spot - ill add the forward pack and reserves I think will trot out to compliment the backs....basically a new forward pack except for 2
JDB
Bird
Sua
Woods
McCullch
Molo

Mbye
Burgess
Sims
Lawrie or Mcguire or Kerr

I would like to see Hunt shifted to 9 at around the 30-minute mark to speed up the ruck and sharpen up the kicking game out of dummy half and target the odd 40/20...move Mbye to 7 ...this would work well if Griffo is willing to risk...just look at how Harry Grant transformed Storm when he came on...everything went up a gear...
Can not ever see Hunt being moved "mid" game from 7 to 9 ever, otherwise Griffin would just being doubting his role in the team.

mickeylane

Bench
Can not ever see Hunt being moved "mid" game from 7 to 9 ever, otherwise Griffin would just being doubting his role in the team.
You can’t have Mcculloch going 80 min.. Hunt pushes the whole ruck up a gear and a Mbye can easily handle 7 .. Mbye will be the 14 so someone needs to move to 9 during the game

Dracarys

Juniors
BHunt may find a whole year at hooker a little daunting. So the occasional game to keep his hand in ...then the finals. Introducing a whole new dynamic other sides have barely clapped eyes on. But I digress.

Gareth67

First Grade
I still hope that Sims, playing for a new contract with other clubs, will have a blinder in 2022.

Retaining Sloan, Amone, and Sullivan is of little note if we are not going to play them in the early rounds of 2022. I say for goodness sake try them and if they don't scrub up, replace them until they do scrub up.
I am with you on that possum, I really hope that Simms has a marvelous season . I realize that he is towards the back end of his career , however I would like to see him keep the pressure on S’ua , Molo and the rest of the forwards .

possm

Coach
Yep- Moga and Suli could well be the bruise brothers left side combo we have been waiting for to balance up the Lomax Rava right- as long as Moga, like Bird, hasn't lost too much pace due to his many injuries.

We saw evidence of the telepathic understanding between Amone and Sloan (their names even rhyme!) with the Amone kick and Sloan chase and score at the end of last season. IMO we need to foster that and throw in Sullivan at 14 to complete the trifecta.
I'd say the Dragons spine would look much sharper with:

1. Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt

14. Mbye - who can cover all four positions

thebigredv

First Grade
What are our movements on players for 2023 and beyond?? I'm yet to see or hear anything. Three star hookers have or about to sign elsewhere instead we will be putting our eggs in the Mulheisen basket? A player we've never seen on fg before?

I'm a little perplexed by our lack of activity while the quality players are available. Now competing with an extra franchise so need to be as proactive and aggressive as ever.

We've got a patchwork and aspirational team for 2022 and the 3 of the most bleak seasons I can recall. Surely we can't be resting on our laurels at this point.

This is basic list management stuff.

blacksafake

First Grade
What are our movements on players for 2023 and beyond?? I'm yet to see or hear anything. Three star hookers have or about to sign elsewhere instead we will be putting our eggs in the Mulheisen basket? A player we've never seen on fg before?

I'm a little perplexed by our lack of activity while the quality players are available. Now competing with an extra franchise so need to be as proactive and aggressive as ever.

We've got a patchwork and aspirational team for 2022 and the 3 of the most bleak seasons I can recall. Surely we can't be resting on our laurels at this point.

This is basic list management stuff.
Not sure if the club has been chasing those shopping themselves around but history has shown that the club tends to do business out of the publics eye.

be55

Juniors
I am with you on that possum, I really hope that Simms has a marvelous season . I realize that he is towards the back end of his career , however I would like to see him keep the pressure on S’ua , Molo and the rest of the forwards .
I agree Gareth...If Tariq can reproduce the form he showed during Origin that would be great...At his best he can be devastating...But, as a fan of his, I'll admit that his form severely fell away to the back end of the season...

Unfortunately I think that the range between Tariq's best games and his worst, is far too much at times...

Hopefully he is motivated to put his best foot forward, but maybe even having to say that about Tariq, is why he won't be re-signed after next year...

Dragon David

First Grade
I agree Gareth...If Tariq can reproduce the form he showed during Origin that would be great...At his best he can be devastating...But, as a fan of his, I'll admit that his form severely fell away to the back end of the season...

Unfortunately I think that the range between Tariq's best games and his worst, is far too much at times...

Hopefully he is motivated to put his best foot forward, but maybe even having to say that about Tariq, is why he won't be re-signed after next year...
Now that we have recruited some bigger and tougher forwards, I think that Sims will have a much better season next year. Well here's hoping anyway.

denis preston

First Grade
Simms has been a warrior but the reality for me is his body is showing the years and injuries have taken it's toll.Great stuff to make SOO last year and the extra dollars must have been handy but after it he was playing like a 300k a year player but on 700. No confidence at all that he can play consistently well but the better players around him may inspire him to greater deeds.

Latest posts