What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Simms has been a warrior but the reality for me is his body is showing the years and injuries have taken it's toll.Great stuff to make SOO last year and the extra dollars must have been handy but after it he was playing like a 300k a year player but on 700. No confidence at all that he can play consistently well but the better players around him may inspire him to greater deeds. I see him post Origin as a bench and a good one at that, with Burgess and Bird.

Unsainty79

Juniors
Sullivan would have only re-signed if he thought there was a pathway to play. Given that Hunt has 2 more years, it is intriguing to see where they will all fit in. Although, given the injury attrition and HIA's that we've seen, you could be a third-stringer and still get 15 games.

Remember Amone has been touted to move to the back-row, so maybe we may see him line-up there in the trials, or at least get a run there later in the year?

If Bird starts at lock, it is hard to see us not playing 3 props and M'bye off the bench.

I will say though, even though we haven't signed huge names, this is the first time in a long time that I can remember that our signings have been wrapped up before pre-season.
Molo and Su'a are great additions, if we can get Suli firing he will be brilliant, M'bye solves our #14 dilemma (and adds depth) and adding Burgess, Woods and Moga as back-ups is great; for once, it feels like if we have an injury or two, the season won't capitulate.

thebigredv

First Grade
Not sure if the club has been chasing those shopping themselves around but history has shown that the club tends to do business out of the publics eye.

That's fine and true. We don't seek the spotlight. It's not the spectacle , the rumours and the media frenzy we are after. We just want the best players in the positions we haven't covered properly in the past.

End of this year we were left with the leftovers to assemble a squad with. I know Hook will be building an organic squad with a band of juniors for the future strength, I'm ok with that but we simply need an impact forward and hooker for 2023 of the highest echelon.

Illusion

Bench
Sullivan would have only re-signed if he thought there was a pathway to play. Given that Hunt has 2 more years, it is intriguing to see where they will all fit in. Although, given the injury attrition and HIA's that we've seen, you could be a third-stringer and still get 15 games.

Remember Amone has been touted to move to the back-row, so maybe we may see him line-up there in the trials, or at least get a run there later in the year?

If Bird starts at lock, it is hard to see us not playing 3 props and M'bye off the bench.

I will say though, even though we haven't signed huge names, this is the first time in a long time that I can remember that our signings have been wrapped up before pre-season.
Molo and Su'a are great additions, if we can get Suli firing he will be brilliant, M'bye solves our #14 dilemma (and adds depth) and adding Burgess, Woods and Moga as back-ups is great; for once, it feels like if we have an injury or two, the season won't capitulate.
For me Sullivan did a great job at 9 the few games he had there ..... With him signing on it gives us options and the kid IMO is as tough as any for his size ......

thebigredv

First Grade
For me Sullivan did a great job at 9 the few games he had there ..... With him signing on it gives us options and the kid IMO is as tough as any for his size ......

Hmm. I haven't really considered Sullivan for the permanent role but that could be the next best thing for us as no doubt he will be an attacking weapon. With more size and experience he can sharpen up defensively and make a gun hooker, not a bad idea.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'd say the Dragons spine would look much sharper with:

1. Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt

14. Mbye - who can cover all four positions
I'd need to be convinced that Sullivan's game management and kicking game is up to guiding the team around the park for 80 minutes without an experienced partner. That is why I prefer Hunt at 7 and Sullivan coming on at 14 as he did last year and adding the zip and creativity out of dummy half. We know his defence is first class as well. Mbye might be a great clubman but I'm not convinced that he has that spark we need after Macca leaves the field.

George Dragon

Juniors
I'd need to be convinced that Sullivan's game management and kicking game is up to guiding the team around the park for 80 minutes without an experienced partner. That is why I prefer Hunt at 7 and Sullivan coming on at 14 as he did last year and adding the zip and creativity out of dummy half. We know his defence is first class as well. Mbye might be a great clubman but I'm not convinced that he has that spark we need after Macca leaves the field.

And how do you expect him to get the experience or see if he is up to it if you have him playing 20min at 9 each week.
If the plan for him were to be a 14 and a back up 9 he wouldn't of extended.

He is 7 in first or 7 in ressie that's it.

thebigredv

First Grade
And how do you expect him to get the experience or see if he is up to it if you have him playing 20min at 9 each week.

When did Sullivan become free of injury last year? It seems with Hunt injured and Corey Norman playing like Corey Norman it would have been a better time to blood him in the halves then. An oversight on account of the coach. A real big boo boo if you ask me.

Reactions: jak

jak

Bench
When did Sullivan become free of injury last year? It seems with Hunt injured and Corey Norman playing like Corey Norman it would have been a better time to blood him in the halves then. An oversight on account of the coach. A real big boo boo if you ask me.
what and when was Corey Norman playing ?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Could be wrong tbrv but pretty sure Sullivan was injured at the same time. Vaguely recall me cursing the timing last year…?

Illusion

Bench

George yes he may be a 7 as you say and signed with us for that reason but for now I would definitely have him in the 14 some where either off the bench or starting ..... He needs game time as do all the young blokes......

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

We all have our opinions and probably Mbye will be Hook's choice at 14 replacing Macca as you imply. However, I'd be hoping whoever is coming on will spark our attack and link up well with the other elements of our spine- two of whom (Sloan and Amone) are likely to be from that SG Ball winning side that contained Sullivan as well.

I would also argue that a dummy half's role these days has a game management element to it. Cameron Smith was the ultimate exponent of choosing the right option of pass, run or kick.

The other factors that may increase Sullivan's experience are Hunt's availability and fitness. I would expect Sullivan would replace Hunt during Origin. Hunt was a very durable player when he first came to the Dragons but age may be catching up with him. He suffered both a broken arm and broken fibula in separate incidents last year and was out for some time.

Illusion

Bench
Sullivan's spot is the no. 7, and he's going to be a very good one. So, why burn him out playing no. 9?
If anything, Hunt would be a lot more durable than Sullivan and better suited to 9. Hopefully, Sullivan at 7 and Hunt at 9 will happen at some point during the season.
Agree but the kid needs to be around the top grade some where for now.....

Latest posts