What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well $600k is for a top flight forward and without any problems with his legs . Unfortunately for Bird that particular condition comes with him - wherever he may go .

SnowDragon

Juniors
Without transparency, it’s difficult to be sure of players value, probably extremely difficult even with transparency. What I would say, is that Gareth has a point, whatever the amount, we need to compare to others and make sure we get value. 600 seems like a hanging- from the overpaid days prior to injury. I’d like us to keep bird, but I think the clubs approach here is right.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Bird is a good player and gives 100% every time he plays.
$450000 is the money he is worth. If he wants to leave so be it.
We have to remember if the younger brigade are successful we will need to correctly manage our cap for the future so we can keep our top players.

Hard Yards

Juniors
Jack is worth what ever a team is prepared to pay him. There are a growing number of forwards being paid, or now close to, a million per season. Titans, Cowboys come to mind. Dragons had Vaughn on a reported 800k. Brisbane are in a fight to keep one forward after a possible very big money offer else where. If Jack decides to stay, it should be a good outcome for the club. Should he chooses a more lucrative offer and leaves, good luck to him, he is a former origin and premiership winner, currently paid at a commesurate level, and plays in a professional league where clubs and players must choose to do the best by themselves at all times, It comes down to risk v reward by both parties. Sentiment counts for little in todays game.

Rocket Rod

Juniors
I must admit Birdy looked fit and fresh in charity shield match. At his best he is a talented footballer who punches above his weight. He started the season last year great and was even touted to return to origin until everything turned to shit.
I have a feeling he could be in for a big season this year. Still only 26 and not as many games played as should have due to injury. Presuming he’s finally overcome them I then feel he’s a keeper at market value

denis preston

First Grade
Jack is worth what ever a team is prepared to pay him. There are a growing number of forwards being paid, or now close to, a million per season. Titans, Cowboys come to mind. Dragons had Vaughn on a reported 800k. Brisbane are in a fight to keep one forward after a possible very big money offer else where. If Jack decides to stay, it should be a good outcome for the club. Should he chooses a more lucrative offer and leaves, good luck to him, he is a former origin and premiership winner, currently paid at a commesurate level, and plays in a professional league where clubs and players must choose to do the best by themselves at all times, It comes down to risk v reward by both parties. Sentiment counts for little in todays game.
Sure, a player is worth whatever he can get but it is the value that is important. As an example Norman was worth 800k but his value to us was 300k.You could also say Hunts worth was a million a year but his value until last season was at least half that. Simms is another 2018 he is on 700k but his value was at least that but 2019 onwards about 400-500K. Your salary cap is worth a definitive amount but it is what value you get out of your players that determines your success. That's why coaches like Bellamy & Bennett are so successful. Turning low cost players like Green & Saffy into good NRL players.

mickeylane

Bench
Sure, a player is worth whatever he can get but it is the value that is important. As an example Norman was worth 800k but his value to us was 300k.You could also say Hunts worth was a million a year but his value until last season was at least half that. Simms is another 2018 he is on 700k but his value was at least that but 2019 onwards about 400-500K. Your salary cap is worth a definitive amount but it is what value you get out of your players that determines your success. That's why coaches like Bellamy & Bennett are so successful. Turning low cost players like Green & Saffy into good NRL players.
Hook will be turning grossly undervalued contracted players into high achievers this year see list:
Burgess in form worth $400K
Woods in form worth $400K
Sloan New Contract $400K minimum
Amone New Contract minimum $400K
Mbye In Form worth $550K
Bird New Contract Minimum $550K
Gosiewski
Moga In Form Worth $350K

Theres a minimum of over $1.2M of real savings here in 2022 which means we are operating notionally way above the cap......Cant be doubted Hook is a smart operator...

be55

Juniors
. As an example Norman was worth 800k
im laughing so hard GIF

Hard Yards

Juniors
Hi Dennis, my comments were not directed to value v worth so much, but spefific to Birds current contract negotiations and the actual amounts offered to him, and his decision making as a result. I recognize implicit in these offers will be decisions by individual clubs as to perceived value. Hence all businesses and clubs alike must consider risk v reward as stated. And yes Bellamy and Bennett as with any good coach seek to value add as much as possible. These two do excel at that.

denis preston

First Grade
Hi Dennis, my comments were not directed to value v worth so much, but spefific to Birds current contract negotiations and the actual amounts offered to him, and his decision making as a result. I recognize implicit in these offers will be decisions by individual clubs as to perceived value. Hence all businesses and clubs alike must consider risk v reward as stated. And yes Bellamy and Bennett as with any good coach seek to value add as much as possible. These two do excel at that.
Yes, salary cap management would really have to be one of the most important issues clubs face and their management of it will determine their success. How many players like Moylen, Dugan, Norman etc on 800k plus become a massive hindrance in controlling it.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes, salary cap management would really have to be one of the most important issues clubs face and their management of it will determine their success. How many players like Moylen, Dugan, Norman etc on 800k plus become a massive hindrance in controlling it.
plus another couple of five eighths as well to that list; just crazy decisions by the clubs. Certainly cant blame ‘the player’ for accepting such over priced contracts.