What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Team

Burwood

Bench
I love how, after a decade long rebuild and peaking at 7th on the ladder, it’s apparently time for another rebuild.

I’ve been as hard on Pearce the last 12 months as the next bloke, but I’m not worried about him in 2022 if he does stay. He can play a very important role in the team with Ponga, Brailey and Clifford surrounding him in the spine IF O’Brien has the coaching nous to develop a system that suits him and the team.
If our attacking structure mirrors this year, no amount of new players will change our position on the ladder come September.

Yosh

Coach
I love how, after a decade long rebuild and peaking at 7th on the ladder, it’s apparently time for another rebuild.

I’ve been as hard on Pearce the last 12 months as the next bloke, but I’m not worried about him in 2022 if he does stay. He can play a very important role in the team with Ponga, Brailey and Clifford surrounding him in the spine IF O’Brien has the coaching nous to develop a system that suits him and the team.
If our attacking structure mirrors this year, no amount of new players will change our position on the ladder come September.

If peaking at 7th is the end of our rebuild, has our rebuild finished? Or perhaps it wasn't even a rebuild at all?

A proper rebuild is based around the concept that we will be a club that is fighting for the premiership when the rebuild ends. Which clubs are where now? The Roosters had their premiership window a couple of years ago but looks like they are going through a rebuild now. Penrith went through their rebuild and they are in a super premiership window. The Storm seem to defy logic and are always in a premiership window. The Rabbits it looks like are coming to the end of their premiership window this year. In terms of rebuild, the Doggies have started theirs. Same with the Broncos.

So what about us? I would consider us still in a rebuild. A really long one because we were in the gutter so long. When will we finish the rebuild? I would consider us out of the rebuild once we:

1. Add two or three more strike forwards.
2. Our outside backs have at least an average of 50~70 first grade games each.
3. Our spine has played 2 or 3 seasons together.
4. We have 5 rep level players, with another 3 or 4 near rep level.

So back to Pearce. He doesn't fit any of that criteria. Hodgson does. He is young and talented, could be rep level in the future and with 2 or 3 years of games under his belt together with our spine, I think he ticks many of the boxes.

Spot On

Coach

I like your thinking but too many people believe Pearce has the skills necessary to spark and orchestrate the type of footy we all want our side playing.

He doesn't.

About the only way Pearce should be part of this side going forward is in a Benji Marshall type of capacity where he fills in at 7 or 6 when injury/suspension/rep footy disrupts the halves. Maybe he plays off the bench from time to time.

That's it.

Some people were saying having Clifford with him at 6 would spark his running game! What f**king running game are they talking about??? The 2010 version. It's f**king 2022 next year.

Old dog

Juniors
My worry is that should Pearce leave or fail to fire next season that we will immediately put Clifford at 7 which may restrict his game, put Ponga at 6 which might not work and promote Hodgson to 1 who is currently short of experience as well as very young.
My belief is, assuming reserve grade starts up and continues for the season we should see how it all works out. Leave Hodgson getting experience in reserves, leave Ponga at f/b, play Clifford 6 and Pearce 7 and if Pearce doesn’t consistently play well then replace him with Clune or Crosslands. Same for all pick best 3 out of 5 and play, plenty of cover for all and look towards 2023 for any of those 5 not performing to a standard required.
If Pearce performs well at 7 then consider a extension or if not and Clune, Crosslands don’t make the grade look outside the squad.
I have serious doubts about Pearce based on his recent performances, but he is signed for 2022.

Old dog

Juniors
Extra comment re Pearce, don’t think he could do a BenJi who seems to be a unselfish player. Pearce is for all intents and purposes a leader, follow me type, must be in charge, he is the man. If it’s not going well he will try harder, work harder but if it’s not going well won’t admit it and try to dominate and work out of the problem, hence his kicking more often than Clifford the better kicker. At this stage of his career it’s a case of digging a hole and it’s getting deeper.
he is at the stage of ”do I quit and go out on my terms or push on and be remembered for games like V Parramatta”
He has been a great player, he shouldn’t spoil it

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It can be hard to define where a team rebuild starts and ends. For me I see a rebuild as a turning over of most of the roster (like we did between 2016-2019) to build a solid foundation of a team that can be successful in the future with the right systems and development. A rebuild doesn’t necessarily mean a premiership after X number of years but from here on in I’m expecting to see us climb the ladder every year until we’re up there playing with the big boys.

At the moment it feels like we’re just hanging around the cool kids but that doesn’t make us one of them. We need to prove that we are with on field performances.

We’ve been consistent to an extent in that we’ve come 7th two years in a row now however the goal for next year should be at least knocking on the door of the top 4 and week 2 of the finals as a minimum.

I tend to think of the Storm before they were a dominant force from 2006 onward. I remember before that they made the finals for 3-4 years straight (usually around 5th-6th) but were usually knocked out in week 2 but they got better year on year and then became dominant but it was largely the same core group of players.

I see us as being in that phase now. We’ve got a good core group in Brailey, KP, Clifford, the twins, Barnett, Frizell etc but we now need to work on consistency and polish and maybe a couple of years from now we’ll be in a prelim final.

slotmachine

First Grade
A rebuild doesn’t necessarily mean a premiership after X number of years

It does if you've drunk brownies Kool aid.

Next year is to transition away from Pearce and hopefully still make the finals.

The way things are going he'll probably get injured anyway and we'll see how crap we are with Clune for an extended period

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
It does if you've drunk brownies Kool aid.

Next year is to transition away from Pearce and hopefully still make the finals.

The way things are going he'll probably get injured anyway and we'll see how crap we are with Clune for an extended period
Did Brown ever promise a premiership? I don’t remember him saying that.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I do not think you want Clifford and Pearce together.

One or the other, both need a running 6, genuine line threat, Ponga maybe, but then who the is fullback?

Ponga @6 . with a clone @1 works.

Need a Cody Walker, Maloney type, next to Clifford or Pearce.

Your B1 like our B2, do not engage the markers or run enough. Bullet service, many tackles, not enough marker engagement. That helps both halves too

They are both rather good close to line with flat balls, More 40/20s too.

Spot On

Coach
Extra comment re Pearce, don’t think he could do a BenJi who seems to be a unselfish player. Pearce is for all intents and purposes a leader, follow me type, must be in charge, he is the man. If it’s not going well he will try harder, work harder but if it’s not going well won’t admit it and try to dominate and work out of the problem, hence his kicking more often than Clifford the better kicker. At this stage of his career it’s a case of digging a hole and it’s getting deeper.
he is at the stage of ”do I quit and go out on my terms or push on and be remembered for games like V Parramatta”
He has been a great player, he shouldn’t spoil it

Benji has had to adapt to his role as he has got older .. and he has survived and been able to play his part.

Pearce would need to do the same.

Or one of the plethora of clubs chasing him could hurry up and grab him before they miss out!!!!

Spot On

Coach
Browny - nice bloke.

Quickly charging up the ladder of coaches who have a shit load of NRL games under the belt but no comp.

Bought Kurt Mann to play a spine position.

Then spent 4 years searching for a player to play the position Mann was recruited to play. Couldn't find a 5/8. Paid a million for Pearce. Then Ponga broke out the milkshakes.

Then Browny lost his job.

Yosh

Coach
Browny - nice bloke.

Quickly charging up the ladder of coaches who have a shit load of NRL games under the belt but no comp.

Then spent 4 years searching for a player to play the position Mann was recruited to play. Couldn't find a 5/8. Paid a million for Pearce. Then Ponga broke out the milkshakes.

Then lost his job.

Spot On mate!

Spot On

Coach
I do not think you want Clifford and Pearce together.

One or the other, both need a running 6, genuine line threat, Ponga maybe, but then who the is fullback?

Ponga @6 . with a clone @1 works.

Need a Cody Walker, Maloney type, next to Clifford or Pearce.

Your B1 like our B2, do not engage the markers or run enough. Bullet service, many tackles, not enough marker engagement. That helps both halves too

They are both rather good close to line with flat balls, More 40/20s too.

There's no doubt Brailey could advance his attacking game a hell of a lot.

TooheysNew

Coach
Browny - nice bloke.

Then Browny lost his job.
I love the spin you put on things

Knight Tales

Juniors
There's no doubt Brailey could advance his attacking game a hell of a lot.
His distribution was a major reason we made the 8. His defence is up there with the best. I am not sure what you want from him. His running is very select if that is what you are suggesting here. Keep in mind every time a dummy half gets pinned in a tackle the very next play the ball needs to be on point, cos it is lottery who will go in there. An entire set can go down the drain if they get it wrong.

Spot On

Coach
His distribution was a major reason we made the 8. His defence is up there with the best. I am not sure what you want from him. His running is very select if that is what you are suggesting here. Keep in mind every time a dummy half gets pinned in a tackle the very next play the ball needs to be on point, cos it is lottery who will go in there. An entire set can go down the drain if they get it wrong.
More attack, more deception, more smarts, more kicking, more eyes up.

Doesn’t hurt either MLB hooker.

Don’t worry too much about your ‘next play’ theory - everyone knows Brailey atm simply passes the ball to the next one out runner- who will not pass or offload.

We waste a shit load of sets as it is.

Alex28

Coach

I don’t know whether Pearce leaving where we obviously have a few options on how we replace him leads to “peaking” and a “rebuild”.

If Pearce hangs around - fine. He’s taken a pay cut, he’s done us a favour. There is a feeling though we are treading water for a year before Ponga goes to 6 though…

God this forum is schizophrenic and super reactive sometimes (myself included too, I'm sure). We don't even get a sniff of finals footy this year without Pearce. He plays in the 7 next year, and we look for opportunities to blood Hodgson for 5-10 games in the year. If Hodgson nails down a spot or explodes onto the scene, then we worry about what we need to do with the halves and Ponga.

There's no need or sense in throwing away an option that we know can get us by week to week for completely unknown quantities until they are proven. We're not in a dumb and desperate situation like we were when we ran out and banked on prospects like Beau Henry from day 1 of his arrival. We know we need to transition into post-Pearce life, but do it smartly and proactively, instead of reactively. Follow a plan instead of freaking out about a bad game.

Just take a bit of a breath and think about what the smartest thing to do for the development of the NEXT generation is.
Mate, I agree with you but also whats the point of a HB who gets us to the finals but seems to totally lose his way once we get there? Swap Moses and Pearce in that game last week and its Newcastle taking on Penrith this week, not Parra

I agree we need a plan for succession because its more and more evident that Pearce isnt in the future of this club

Latest posts