What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Team

While we are talking about Bailey Hodgson being to small, where does he fit in comparison to Reece Walsh, Jadyn Campbell and Sam Walker?

I cannot imagine hes any smaller than those blokes

perverse

Referee
Mate, I agree with you but also whats the point of a HB who gets us to the finals but seems to totally lose his way once we get there? Swap Moses and Pearce in that game last week and its Newcastle taking on Penrith this week, not Parra

I agree we need a plan for succession because its more and more evident that Pearce isnt in the future of this club
I mean, what's the point in running with something that might not even make the finals - and then having no option but to stick with it? That's the gist of my point. At the end of the day, if Pearce finds a good deal and wants to move on I'd prefer we didn't keep an unhappy player as well, and maybe then we do just have to bite the bullet and hope it works, but I don't see the point in limiting our options next year when there's no real pressure for us to do so. Start with what won us most of our games this year - and improve on it with the options that become available. I don't see how that isn't the common sense approach.

Just throwing caution to the wind and turfing Pearce without a real need to risks taking 2 steps back and one step forward - when we don't really have to take any steps back if we just stay calm and develop our squad accordingly. There will be opportunities to fiddle with new spine combinations next year and develop them naturally, rather than the less than successful approach we've had in years gone by of throw 'em in the deep end. Bailey Hodgsons optimal development (as well as easing Ponga back into the halves) should be the priority. I think we have more flexibility in that regard with Pearce on board than not - because we can pick and choose our moments a lot more selectively.

TooheysNew

Coach
Mate, I agree with you but also whats the point of a HB who gets us to the finals but seems to totally lose his way once we get there? Swap Moses and Pearce in that game last week and its Newcastle taking on Penrith this week, not Parra

I agree we need a plan for succession because its more and more evident that Pearce isnt in the future of this club
You had me until you suggested Moses is someone who shows up in big games.

I can think of once.

Yosh

Coach
I whole heartily agree with most things Perverse says and his opinions are a ton more valuable than mine but I mist say I totally disagree re Pearce.

I don't see what point there is in making the finals if we are just going to bow out week one every season. Also, I can't see any positives of keeping Pearce. If anything he is holding back the development of Clifford and Ponga.

perverse

Referee
I whole heartily agree with most things Perverse says and his opinions are a ton more valuable than mine but I mist say I totally disagree re Pearce.

I don't see what point there is in making the finals if we are just going to bow out week one every season. Also, I can't see any positives of keeping Pearce. If anything he is holding back the development of Clifford and Ponga.
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying mate. I don't think Pearce is any sort of long term option, I just think we're better off having him as AN option as we transition into whatever comes next. Just because we have him, doesn't mean we need to play him, and going by the last few years he's odds on to spend a good amount of time on the sidelines with injury anyway.

I don't want to see us in a position by round 10 next year where we're chopping and changing the spine again because nothing is working. I'd prefer a situation where the spine can do its job, and we can inject new blood as it suits us - with a view for a full time, non-Pearce option by round 1 2023.

And it's ok to disagree, you've given your reasons and weren't a smarmy dickhead about it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

TooheysNew

Coach
Not the point all but thanks for the irrelevant input
Obviously you struggle with reading. How the f**k is it irrelevant? You think Moses shows up in big games, and I think you're wrong. You gave one example of him showing up, and I think you'd struggle to come up with another.

Thanks for the input, though.

Obviously you struggle with reading. How the f**k is it irrelevant? You think Moses shows up in big games, and I think you're wrong. You gave one example of him showing up, and I think you'd struggle to come up with another.

Thanks for the input, though.
Oh ffs mate, I did not say that and you know it. Take your own advise and learn to read yourself and maybe try being less of a dick

General Knight

Juniors
I'd be happy to keep Pearce for the final year though probably wouldnt offer another year after that. Without seeing Hogdeson and Clune play Pearce is still our best option. Its just unfortunate he chose last week to have his worst game of the season. Agree with The Axe, had he played more like Moses last week we would still be in finals (note: Not implying Moses shows up in big games just saying he played better last week then Pearce as per Axe's comment so please no penis lol).

In saying that, no doubt Mitch and Ponga will probably miss a few games next year. Then you could probably have Hogdeson first off the line to fill in. (Hoy still around?) Then we could probably get an idea if hes good enough while at the same time easing him in. If he turns out to be Walsh good then we can deal with it then, albeit a good problem to have.

Burwood

Bench
Ditching Pearce might have been an option if we didn’t just have 2 years of COVID wreaking havoc on NSW Cup- too many of our young players have missed developing their game and getting that experience needed to take the next step into first grade.

Hodgson has proven absolutely nothing in Australia, and shouldn’t be thrown into first grade until he does. If he came through the juniors in Australia we might have bit of a better idea how he’d handle the step up, but I’m not too keen for him playing NRL next year unless it’s to cover injury/Origin.

Ideally next year, O’Brien develops a plan that best utilises our current spine of Ponga, Clifford, Pearce and Brailey. The focus needs to be on allowing Pearce to step back and hand control over to Clifford in preparation for 2023 when hopefully Hodgson and Ponga have a few more strings in their bow.

Joel_

Juniors
If Hoy can be on the bench for a chunk last year (ie Souths final), no reason why Hodgson can't. Perfect way to ease him into first grade.

Old dog

Juniors
Next season is very dependant on Pearce making his decision, stay or go, if he stays then depending on form etc we can then start considering moving Ponga to 5/8 and preparing Hodgson for f/b but I assume that will take a while. Bring Hodgson in early and Ponga not ready then a lot of pressure is put on them. Hodgson needs a good few games in reserves and lots of training with the firsts he is still very young and therefor inexperienced.
If Pearce is fit and playing well then all the more reason to give it time.
If Pearce leaves we will be in a bit of trouble, Hodgson and Ponga both not ready at start of season might see Clune or Crosslands playing 7 as better than Hodgson at f/b until he is up to speed.