What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2027 FTP

Valheru

Coach
Apparently this has been completed and expected to be officially released end of month.

Cricinfo reporting a tonne of info on it.

Main points from those articles

* 23-25 WTC opponents for Australia IND, WI, PAK (Home) and NZ. ENG, SL (Away)
* 25-27 WTC opponents for Australia NZ, ENG, BAN (Home) and IND, WI, SA (Away). That reads to me as no home series against SA for the duration of the next FTP which seems odd
* 5 tests series against India both home and away as well as England per normal. India/England series will also be 5 tests.
* 5 Match bi-lateral T20 series to be the norm
* BBL to get a clear window in January without competing international white ball cricket. I assume that means ODI's will be played prior to test season as is the case this year

TheParraboy

Staff member
But the national men's team will find themselves occasionally playing in non-traditional timeslots, notably a five-Test Border-Gavaskar series in India at the height of the home summer in 2027, and more mid-year international cricket at venues in Far North Queensland and the Northern Territory.

Cant wait for the BBL to become the sole centrepiece of our summer

Hopefully by 2027 the BBL will feature a 20 team comp , and each side plays each other thrice...

Last edited:
It truly has become the Big 3 and sod everyone else.

By not actually growing the game, by not actually playing regular Test series, places are going to wither on the vine. But of course there’ll be any number of International T20s because they’re cheap but ultimately, meaningless. Pure beer and skittles for the masses.

The elegance of the test will slowly die.

I just hope South Africa smash England this series. I for one want more tests vs NZ, SA, Pakistan, Bangladesh, WI and SL.

Australia should do more for Holland, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Ireland, Canada with ODI and Tests too. At the end of the day, for Straya, it’s just about the money.

simmo1

First Grade
It's a shame, but I think cricket is heading towards a model similar to soccer where club T20 franchise cricket dominates the calendar with set windows for internationals. Australia and England have enough money and interest to keep their home summers, but the other teams are going to struggle.

The IPL has just signed a TV rights deal worth more per game than the EPL. IPL teams are buying ownership of franchise teams in the new South African and UAE leagues. These competitions are running in direct competition with the BBL who will not be able to compete with the money on offer. If teams in other competitions get bought out, its fairly conceivable that we will see players contracted to say Mumbai Indians all year round playing in 4-5 different teams that they own.

ODIs are on death's door. It is only the prestige and history of a WC every four years keeping them alive.

bazza

Immortal
It's a shame, but I think cricket is heading towards a model similar to soccer where club T20 franchise cricket dominates the calendar with set windows for internationals. Australia and England have enough money and interest to keep their home summers, but the other teams are going to struggle.

The IPL has just signed a TV rights deal worth more per game than the EPL. IPL teams are buying ownership of franchise teams in the new South African and UAE leagues. These competitions are running in direct competition with the BBL who will not be able to compete with the money on offer. If teams in other competitions get bought out, its fairly conceivable that we will see players contracted to say Mumbai Indians all year round playing in 4-5 different teams that they own.

ODIs are on death's door. It is only the prestige and history of a WC every four years keeping them alive.
only positives I see for smaller nations e.g. Netherlands, Afghanistan is that these T20 leagues could give their better players a chance to play cricket professionally outside of international games. Whether this helps those countries in internationals or not is another thing

King-Gutho94

Coach
It would be nice if they released the dates for the ashes next year so I can plan when I can go over there.

Back in 2019 they had the schedule released in mid-July 2018 and it was easy to plan the 6 weeks holiday in Europe around the ashes with 12 months notice.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
they are probably waiting for the funeral to be done and king Chuck is still trying to get that dam pen to work

undertaker

Coach
Had a look at the 2023-27 FTP and wow, the scheduling is horrendous.

Before I get to discussing my gripes, here's our home test match schedule over the following seasons:

2022/23: vs West Indies (2 tests), vs South Africa (3 tests)
2023/24: vs Pakistan (3 tests), vs West Indies (2 tests)
2024/25: vs India (5 tests)
2025/26: vs England (5 tests)
Mid-2026: vs Afghanistan (1 test)
2026/27: vs New Zealand (3 tests)
March 2027 vs Bangladesh (2 tests)

Points of discussion:

- Playing home tests vs Windies over consecutive summers! Dunno who in the ICC was responsible for such crap scheduling. Don't get to play them in the Caribbean until mid-2025, which will be a decade since the last series we played there.

- No test matches vs Ireland

- No test matches vs Zimbabwe. Last test series against them was in 2003.

- 2027 series vs Bangladesh will be the first time since 2003 that we're playing a home test series against them. A nice 24 year wait.

- Only 3 home tests during the 2026/27 summer.

Test cricket should be made the priority by Cricket Australia. Like England, I would love to see 6-7 home tests played per summer here, but that will never happen by the hierarchy at Cricket Australia have an obsession with T20 and/or BBL.

- Having a look at the rest of the FTP, there's no point in offering "test match status" to Afghanistan and Ireland when the ICC have given them extremely limited opportunities for them to test themselves in that arena.

ICC clearly don't care, and are more interested in pumping resources into white-ball tournaments that are broadcast by Star Sports.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Next summer will be a dogs breakfast for tests, worse than this summer

WI twice again, and Pakistan who generally have been woefull in test cricket over here for a good while

King-Gutho94

Coach

WI twice again, and Pakistan who generally have been woefull in test cricket over here for a good while
Cant bring India or England out every year.

Not much alternative i suppose.

Perhaps the Kiwis but even then we have there measure in Test cricket like Pakistan at home and haven't had a classic series in a long time.

Timbo

Staff member
It's at the point where I'd be fine if we had a purely domestic summer.

It's no longer fun watching Marnus and co. average a million and then rolling a side for 75. It's boring as f**k and I miss there being contests.

simmo1

First Grade

You can see why CA likes to get India over here all the time (aside from money), they at least they give us a contest. I think South Africa will give us a decent game or two, but they are reluctant to tour Australia for longer than 3 tests as it competes with their own home summer.