What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
No one makes money from streaming sport alone though. It is used to offset the losses and keep people watching the other stuff.

Surely for a subscription service the revenue is mostly in subscriptions not advertising like FTA? I doubt netflix cares how often or how long people watch their stuff, only how many are paying their monthly fee?

Given Paytv is hopefully going to be around $180-200mill in next deal that's a very big gap between 200k NRL subscrbers@$10 a month and $200mill a year!

franklin2323

Immortal
Surely for a subscription service the revenue is mostly in subscriptions not advertising like FTA? I doubt netflix cares how often or how long people watch their stuff, only how many are paying their monthly fee?

Given Paytv is hopefully going to be around $180-200mill in next deal that's a very big gap between 200k NRL subscrbers@$10 a month and $200mill a year!

All need content though. DAZN is looking to expand if they take NRL and AFL they can pretty much kill off their rival in Kayo.

Even taking a hit now long term is good

franklin2323

Immortal
If you buy the exclusive rights you will get just as many viewers as fox/kayo do, and you will also be able to charge as much.

Lets say you equal Kayo’s $25 a month. 200k viewers is $5m a month. With Sponsors on board. Copy the NBA model of commentators from a central studio to put costs down. Not too much of a loss

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets say you equal Kayo’s $25 a month. 200k viewers is $5m a month. With Sponsors on board. Copy the NBA model of commentators from a central studio to put costs down. Not too much of a loss

not much difference? It two thirds less! (Plus production costs)

Starkers

Bench
They will destroy Origin with moves like this.
Unsure - where could it go? Imagine a game in Singapore or HK twilight beamed back for 8pm AEST. Might work. But think it's probably a gee up for more money here.

Interestingly, in the expansion conversation, Adelaide and NZ both being mentioned. Nice to hear they are still in the mix.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think the obvious play is to get Disney+/ESPN interested (if only Quayle had gotten his way in the 90s and we had formed a partnership with ESPN back then).....

Disney is trying to brake into the Aussie streaming market and have said they are interested in Aussie sports (though i think they mentioned RU and Soccer because of their international appeal, hahahah)

Whatever happens though, my only request is that we cut free from 9. I just cannot handle their shitty coverage!!!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Have you watched the Irishman on Netflix? Cost a cool $145m to make for 3.5 hours of content. These streaming services are already outlaying the money needed

Yeh, but this is content that they can show all around the world...

They would need to drop double that per year just for a jump in the Aussie market.

(Not saying netflix cant happen for RL, just that this is a pretty flimsy point)

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeh, but this is content that they can show all around the world...

They would need to drop double that per year just for a jump in the Aussie market.

(Not saying netflix cant happen for RL, just that this is a pretty flimsy point)

Amazon Prime has that Documentary on Australian Cricket. That is too a small fan base. The major player I think will be DAZN can virtually kill off a rival with getting the rights

Perth Red

Post Whore
serious challenger for the next rights I wonder?

A billion-dollar behemoth is wading into Australia's sports rights fight, with DAZN set to launch a streaming service that could emerge as a serious competitor to Fox Sports and Optus.

London-based DAZN (pronounced 'Da Zone'), an over-the-top streaming platform similar to Kayo Sports, has announced plans to expand into more than 200 countries - a dramatic move considering it only operates in nine currently.

Borne out of the sports content and data company Perform, DAZN is little-known in Australia but has successfully disrupted the traditional pay-TV model for sports across Europe and Asia, and is estimated to be spending between US$1 billion and US$1.5 billion per year on rights, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Majority owned by the Ukrainian-born billionaire Sir Len Blavatnik, DAZN has primarily focused on soccer, and has spent millions on the rights for the UEFA Champions League in Germany, Serie A in Italy, and the J.League in Japan, where it signed a deal worth nearly $3 billion over 10 years which began in 2017.

We're very much focused on this as phase one and looking at it from a global perspective," Peebles told the Herald. "If we see opportunity in any market we go into, to go deeper and invest in premium rights specific to that market, we'll look at that in any case and invest as appropriate.

"What we've done is looked at the nine markets we've gone into, the learnings we've had from customer acquisition, what fans are into and what's going to make sense on a global basis.

"That comes off the back of some pretty amazing numbers we've done to date - we streamed over half a billion hours of sport to millions of subscribers last year, and that was just in nine countries.
"We're doing significant scale now and a global rollout helps takes things to the next level."

Peebles said DAZN had "no specific plans" around other sports in Australia, but the rights to Australian rugby - including Wallabies Test matches and Super Rugby - are currently up for grabs and seem an obvious option.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the company's thinking have also suggested DAZN is making strong overtures for the rights to the A-League.

Fox Sports have a deal to show the A-League until 2023, but would not stand in the way if another broadcaster was to take the struggling competition off its hands for the right price.

DAZN is expected to bid for the next round of rights to the Premier League in England, currently held by Sky Sports, BT and Amazon. Industry sources anticipate a bid for the Australian rights, too, which have been the domain of Optus Sport since 2016.

Peebles said "very competitive" pricing plans in Australia would be unveiled by DAZN in the coming weeks.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...-sports-broadcast-rights-20200303-p546k5.html