What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

tri_colours

Juniors
This Mumbrella article mentions that the fox deal will be enhanced because of the extra matches.

tri_colours

Juniors
This Mumbrella article mentions that the fox deal will be enhanced because of the extra matches.

Why would you aim for an odd number of teams and why would the NRL put another side in Brisbane and NZ. I’m just curious

Shaws up our position in the third biggest sporting market . Has been very financially rewarding for the NRL. And will allow them to do this all over again in a few years, for another windfall
And will have a lot less of an impact on the player market than having two new teams in the market at the same time.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yes it does, enhanced by $15-20mill a year as reported elsewhere. Nowhere does it say its paying start up costs on top of that.

'As part of the announcement, broadcast partner Fox Sports, owned by Foxtel (which is jointly owned by News Corp Australia and Telstra), has agreed to an enhanced broadcast agreement from 2023 to 2027.'

Colk

First Grade
Shaws up our position in the third biggest sporting market . Has been very financially rewarding for the NRL. And will allow them to do this all over again in a few years, for another windfall
And will have a lot less of an impact on the player market than having two new teams in the market at the same time.

Fair enough
no one aimed for it , it was required because we weren't ready for 2 teams at once.
We have taken care of a few things that the comp required tho , a 2nd team in brisbane & 12 extra games that will deliver 125 million extra $$ to the codes coffers

brisbane 3 is a no brainer as is NZ 2
more rivalries created

Ok but who is the 20th side?

I don’t know if any option is a no brainer.

The Dolphins haven’t kicked a ball in anger yet and we don’t know if they are going to be competitive. I hope they are and I think they will eventually be but we don’t whether they will be another Titans or not. Also, Broncos and News Limited actively worked against a side in the south and west of Brisbane so there would have to be a complete change of heart or circumstances for this to happen within 10 years. You also have to worry about the Titans.

NZ has the potential for another side but where are you going to put it? Secondly, the Warriors have been very poor for a number of years so one could argue about making sure they’re going well on the field first

Colk

First Grade
Also there is an argument about whether adding teams in markets where there are teams already is actually expansion or adding new active supporters. You may be but if I live in Brisbane I would have the opportunity to go to a game every week by the time the Dolphins have come in (going from one side to two therefore is needed) If I add another side to Brisbane, am I increasing the amount of supporters going to the games or am I just splintering existing support (say of the Broncos). It is a question the NRL would need to ask themselves

tri_colours

Juniors
Yes it does, enhanced by $15-20mill a year as reported elsewhere. Nowhere does it say its paying start up costs on top of that.

'As part of the announcement, broadcast partner Fox Sports, owned by Foxtel (which is jointly owned by News Corp Australia and Telstra), has agreed to an enhanced broadcast agreement from 2023 to 2027.'

when you include the line about that it becomes clear that 'enhancement' is due to extra games.

'
The expanded 17-team competition will see the NRL Telstra Premiership become a 26-round competition with every team continuing to play 24 games, with the total number of regular season games increasing from 192 to 204.

As part of the announcement, broadcast partner Fox Sports, owned by Foxtel (which is jointly owned by News Corp Australia and Telstra), has agreed to an enhanced broadcast agreement from 2023 to 2027.

And Baseline panthers media quotes show that the financial support payments are a totally seperate payment.

Also there is an argument about whether adding teams in markets where there are teams already is actually expansion or adding new active supporters. You may be but if I live in Brisbane I would have the opportunity to go to a game every week by the time the Dolphins have come in (going from one side to two therefore is needed) If I add another side to Brisbane, am I increasing the amount of supporters going to the games or am I just splintering existing support (say of the Broncos). It is a question the NRL would need to ask themselves
if you're increasing the numb of teams , doesn't matter where they're from , you're " expanding" the size of the comp.

The NRL " increasing " thread doesn't have quite the same ring to it haha

Billythekid

First Grade
The value of a sport having a global interest! Doubled their usa deal

Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and the EPL is the biggest sporting comp in the world. Not sure what RL can really learn from that.

Don’t get me wrong not even attempting to grow the game internationally has been a huge mistake but we’re not in a comparable situation.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
Soccer is the biggest sport in the world and the EPL is the biggest sporting comp in the world. Not sure what RL can really learn from that.

Don’t get me wrong not even attempting to grow the game internationally has been a huge mistake but we’re not in a comparable situation.
posted it as not long ago some were saying sports rights globally had maxed out and that we should expect a drop, or at least same, tv money in the future. Seems some sports are showing that to be nonsense. If we will see any real increase on our last deal remains to be seen.

Billythekid

First Grade
posted it as not long ago some were saying sports rights globally had maxed out and that we should expect a drop, or at least same, tv money in the future. Seems some sports are showing that to be nonsense. If we will see any real increase on our last deal remains to be seen.

Yeah I agree with that. The landscape is changing but that doesn’t mean there is less demand for sports rights. There is definitely still demand for live sports and if anything there is more competition entering the market.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah I agree with that. The landscape is changing but that doesn’t mean there is less demand for sports rights. There is definitely still demand for live sports and if anything there is more competition entering the market.
Yeh if anything it will become more valuable. Streaming services are learning that to keep subscribers you need lots of new content, and that costs lots of money. Sport basically gives you new content every week for a fraction the cost of producing tv shows or movies. As people work their way through the back catalogue of content I can see sport being the Lynch pin of success for subscription services.

I

the EPL lost 3.7 Billion during the pandemic while the NRL made 50 Million in profits
lets ponder those figures for a bit before we bag the NRL 😎

Perth Red

Post Whore
the EPL lost 3.7 Billion during the pandemic while the NRL made 50 Million in profits
lets ponder those figures for a bit before we bag the NRL 😎
Apples and oranges and that is over two years.
Let’s also consider this is a 5billion pounds a year sport compared to a 500 million pound a year sport and that the avg nrl club revenue is $25million a year whilst the avg epl club revenue is $500million lol.
2019 man utd‘s revenue was more than nrl hq and EVERY football club put together!

Last edited:
Apples and oranges and that is over two years.
Let’s also consider this is a 5billion pounds a year sport compared to a 500 million pound a year sport and that the avg nrl club revenue is $25million a year whilst the avg epl club revenue is $500million lol.
2019 man utd‘s revenue was more than nrl hq and EVERY football club put together!
Lol
What a deflection .
What BP stated was true .
Yet you go on a rant about anything but what he posted .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol
What a deflection .
What BP stated was true .
Yet you go on a rant about anything but what he posted .
Never said it wasn't true, just putting some perspective on that seemingly massive loss they had. What was quoted was central loss plus club losses. Not to mention he compared 2 years of EPL results to just this year of NRL result. 2020 NRL lost $25.1million and we have no idea what the overall club losses where last year or this year. Like I said he was comparing apples with oranges to make Vlandys and his puppet look good.

Last edited: