What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets play devils advocate tho for a sec...

Lets say paramounts streaming service & ch 10 are willing to pay 600 mill a year for the lot including digital rights etc
Foxtel have both major codes & some other content on kayo for as little as $15 a month a with a telstra account of some type. But the average cost is $30 a month.

Paramount plus only costs $10 a month . With the Awful that might go up to $25 if you wanted to stream the derps & misses as well , an extra channel.

I'd say there might be 1 million fumblers nationally ( most in Vic , WA & SA ) who are happy to do this.
Thats 15 mill a month or 180 mill a year extra from subscribers. Now they have the FTA rights too & there is money to be earnt here , but Ch 7 & 9 have both stated they make very little profit from their FTA rights for the NRL & Awful. lets say its between 150 & 175 mill PA with advertising & other associated earning streams

digital revenue etc ... 50 mill a year ?

on what planet is any broadcaster genuinely offering 600 mill a year ?? 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

CBS/Paramount are already in debt to the tune of 16 billion globally & are looking to trim & streamline their operations around the world , not madly splash cash on a sport that is only popular in half of one tiny country.

tough luck fumblers
tough luck 😎
$25 a month by a million subscribers is $300mill a year. but yeh I get your point. Having said that I don’t know how fox are now making it profitable paying what they are on kayo subscription prices, especially during this telstra reduced period.

colly

Juniors
Will be a good outcome for nrl in the long run if paramount get afl. Presuming it doesn’t send fox broke losing afl then they’d have to start Treating nrl much better and would be desperate to hold on to the rights, might even speed up the inclusion of game nine and ten!

The Sen article is only a parroted sqwak from the John Stensholt fantasy story.
It does the AFL no good to keep putting out 'fake numbers' that the main players or buyers know are fake Seven and Foxtel/Telstra know what they pay. First the $470 fantasy, Seven and Foxtel NO THIS FALSE FIGURE.... the AFL have put themselves in a bind by saying $470m pa and so to get a increase which is consistent with ( we always get a increase in in our media deals) they must get $500m p/a or better still $500m. Good luck with that. Everyone in the business knows how fake the numbers are- Rumours, background experts, informed sourses- at least Stensholt story as stating $500m just defies belief... Thus with Paramount willing to pay $500 per year they( AFL) knock it back - to have further negotions with the imcumabants, who do they the AFL think they fooling, ONLY THEMSELVES it seems.

Last edited:
$25 a month by a million subscribers is $300mill a year. but yeh I get your point. Having said that I don’t know how fox are now making it profitable paying what they are on kayo subscription prices, especially during this telstra reduced period.
double

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
There’s always talk about interested parties whenever negotiations are on but for the last two decades it’s been the same groups buying the rights for both codes. Be nice if someone did shake it up.

Problem is where do they play alternate weeks? unless we’re getting two teams lol
tbh , im not sure why the saturday game is the jewel in the crown

theres heaps of other time slots they could play because an NRL game only goes for 2 hrs

a 2nd Thursday game at 9.30 WA time
3rd friday game , at 9.30 WA time
4th saturday game 9.30 WA time
3rd or even 4th Sunday game with it kicking of at 4pm in Perth

4 games on Sunday TV times east coast
midday game in NZ
2 pm east coast
4 pm east coast
6 pm east coast

a plethora of options

Last edited:

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Reports this morning stating foxtel are very keen for a 9.30pm Saturday night fixture for the 9th game of NRL

hmmmm
Perth Bears here we come
No thanks. Hated the 9:30 game when we used to have it. I'd take a Monday night game , and the complications it brings, over the late Saturday game. A permanent Sunday 6:30 game is the best option imo.

No thanks. Hated the 9:30 game when we used to have it. I'd take a Monday night game , and the complications it brings, over the late Saturday game. A permanent Sunday 6:30 game is the best option imo.
doable as i explained a few posts back
maybe not permanent , but a 6pmish game in perth on sunday is doable

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sunday 6pm would def be the best and most logical spot as can be played in east and west at that time and is relatively fan Friendly in east and very fan friendly in west. Gives the nrl another game day when in perth which usually produces better games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
about 45%
its not wishful thinking ... its utter nonsense
Their last deal was $416mill, they’re realistically aiming for $500mill I reckon which would still put them $70-80 mill a year more than us when you factor in digital revenue. If they achieve it and how will be interesting to see. If they achieve more than that Vlandys has s9me serious explaining to do.

Wb1234

Referee
Story in today`s Australian that CH 10 are preparing to offer the afl a 5yr $3b/ $600m per annum tv deal.
If this is correct V`landy`s has a lot of questions to answer. Especially given the relative TV popularity of the codes. Murdoch`s lapdog... maybe they`re right.
Lmao the only way they get that figure is with a decimal point after the first two digits

afl gets media comp aids writing positive bs articles about their tv rights and the nrl gets everyone talking down theirs

afl tv ratings are down if they maintain their current deals they are lucky. Especially with how badly they get trounced by league

Even nine put in a bid. Says the deal will be announced soon

Their last deal was $416mill, they’re realistically aiming for $500mill I reckon which would still put them $70-80 mill a year more than us when you factor in digital revenue. If they achieve it and how will be interesting to see. If they achieve more than that Vlandys has s9me serious explaining to do.
Meaning the 3 billion story is a ruse yea ?
They have their offer already i'd say from their current partners & its nothing like 500 mill because there is no justification for a figure like that ... none
Still rating like a turd in half the country & still getting easily outrated by the NRL overall .. let alone sport v sport.. RL V AR, hence them desperately putting out borderline stupid stories like this 3 billion dollar one via their lacky jurnos in the hope they get a little more then what is being offered.
450 mill is on the table , & thats all they're worth.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Meaning the 3 billion story is a ruse yea ?
They have their offer already i'd say from their current partners & its nothing like 500 mill because there is no justification for a figure like that ... none
Still rating like a turd in half the country & still getting easily outrated by the NRL overall .. let alone sport v sport.. RL V AR, hence them desperately putting out borderline stupid stories like this 3 billion dollar one via their lacky jurnos in the hope they get a little more then what is being offered.
450 mill is on the table , & thats all they're worth.
Don’t know, I guess time will tell. I doubt they’ll get near it but then people said the same about the prior rumours of $2.5bill for the last deal for them When the previous one had been $1.25bilion.
They are obviously expecting a decent whack more as they are seemingly pushing ahead with tassie which will cost them a lot.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It could be true after all it would need a giant offer to get AFL off Foxtel.
To leave a secure partnership certainly needs a major offer improvement, usually its better the devil you know when it comes to sports rights. Fox/Seven will have an idea of how serious 10/Paramount are and will bid accordingly. Ic ant see AFL going with someone else but their interest will probably drive the price up significantly, similar to what happened with our rights with SkyNZ which saw a 60% increase on whats been a static payment for two deals due to streaming showing interest.

Unfortunately with no such competition in Oz for NRL we ended up with basically the same deal as previously despite the extras our media partners got this time round.