What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The_Wookie

Bench

But sources indicated that Ten’s initial offer was in line or even below the $473m annual figure Foxtel and Seven are each paying for the rights for both the 2023 and 2024 seasons under their current contract.

Well surprise, surprise.

are these unnamed sources more or less credible than the unnamed sources from other reports that disagree with this, or is it subjective according to the reader.

Reactions: Vee

Wb1234

Referee

Perth Red

Post Whore
W

But sources indicated that Ten’s initial offer was in line or even below the $473m annual figure Foxtel and Seven are each paying for the rights for both the 2023 and 2024 seasons under their current contract.

Well surprise, surprise.
Wow opening ten bid is $473mill a year? I thought people were saying ten werent realistic bidders and afl wouldt even get $416 they got before lol

colly

Juniors
W

Wow opening ten bid is $473mill a year? I thought people were saying ten werent realistic bidders and afl wouldt even get $416 they got before lol
Jon Slingshot has been pushing this this line since the last time he said $473m per year. He just parrots talking points 'others'? have given him. Like the organization he works for which owns The Australian and Foxtel, are paying a little over $220- per year- it never occurs to him who is paying the other $253 million dollars per year, which is a very large amount when on any given day Foxtel have always paid the MOST. Dill's trying to get out of dodge and sign a better deal to make up the $473m fantasy. Remember we have the Seven Tv inflation contract for $73 million per year. This year Seven pays $117m and in a couple of moths in 5mths they (Seven ) will pay $190m per year ( very believable Sar) thats a $73 million increase from this year to Jan 2023. So it's Seven Inflation and Tesltra 'sponsorship' which we have no details on , but have facts that Telstra 2017-2022 ( $50m) deal ends in 5 months. Making noway known to man to get to $473m mathematically beside the absurd figures supplied by Mr Red.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
So afl reports ten offered 600 million a year

Now we know the actual offer is under 473 million a year

that’s just embarrassing

colly

Juniors
So afl reports ten offered 600 million a year

Now we know the actual offer is under 473 million a year

that’s just embarrassing
SMH ZOE- Finally coming clean on the fantasies.

The Australian boss of US entertainment giant Paramount has played down talk it offered the AFL $600 million for its broadcast rights, but said the company was chasing deals that were in its commercial interests.

Beverley McGarvey, co-executive vice president and chief content officer at Paramount, said sport was a bigger priority for the company, which owns Network Ten, since the launch of its streaming service, Paramount+, last August. However, she conceded the first year of Paramount’s major broadcast rights deal with the A-League and W-League had been challenging due to the rescheduling of matches.

Non binding bids in. If Seven want to stream, as well -that's a real deal breaker for Foxtel. If Foxtel get their super Saturday- that's a real deal breaker for Seven .
So multiply bids without this or that all of which will come under done.
Paramount is struggling in the US in the Ads Market- So HQ NY won't pay more than their measly ( probably bid)
The Dill is under the cosh- I see a all-up deal under $370m- The NRL wins with over $400 m

Oh I forgot on the Zoe story our old friends unnamed sources who WON"T put the names to it surface again.

Paramount hit the headlines recently because of its interest in the AFL broadcast rights, which expire in 2024. Multiple industry sources, who requested anonymity to speak freely, told this masthead it is one of a group of companies bidding for the rights to AFL and AFLW matches including Seven West Media, Nine Entertainment Co (the owner of this masthead) and Foxtel. SMH 8/8/22
These unnamed sources told us $600m was in the bag.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
SMH ZOE- Finally coming clean on the fantasies.

The Australian boss of US entertainment giant Paramount has played down talk it offered the AFL $600 million for its broadcast rights, but said the company was chasing deals that were in its commercial interests.

Beverley McGarvey, co-executive vice president and chief content officer at Paramount, said sport was a bigger priority for the company, which owns Network Ten, since the launch of its streaming service, Paramount+, last August. However, she conceded the first year of Paramount’s major broadcast rights deal with the A-League and W-League had been challenging due to the rescheduling of matches.

Non binding bids in. If Seven want to stream, as well -that's a real deal breaker for Foxtel. If Foxtel get their super Saturday- that's a real deal breaker for Seven .
So multiply bids without this or that all of which will come under done.
Paramount is struggling in the US in the Ads Market- So HQ NY won't pay more than their measly ( probably bid)
The Dill is under the cosh- I see a all-up deal under $370m- The NRL wins with over $400 m

Oh I forgot on the Zoe story our old friends unnamed sources who WON"T put the names to it surface again.

Paramount hit the headlines recently because of its interest in the AFL broadcast rights, which expire in 2024. Multiple industry sources, who requested anonymity to speak freely, told this masthead it is one of a group of companies bidding for the rights to AFL and AFLW matches including Seven West Media, Nine Entertainment Co (the owner of this masthead) and Foxtel. SMH 8/8/22
These unnamed sources told us $600m was in the bag.
You and baselinepanther have been brilliant in calling out the afl bs over the past few years.

thanks a lot buddy

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they get $473mill with telstra to come its massively more than vlad achieved and will once again widen the tv revenue gap between the codes, incredible difference in fact when comparing what Australian tv was prepared to pay for NRL. But its all speculation at this point, lets see what the deal ends up before getting too smug or dismayed.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
so unnamed sources are fine when they agree with your worldview. i see.

Not at all but even as an AFL fan, Given the climate you must realise the $600m from Paramount was farcial?

As for this latest report, I don't believe I commented on it

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
If they get $473mill with telstra to come its massively more than vlad achieved and will once again widen the tv revenue gap between the codes, incredible difference in fact when comparing what Australian tv was prepared to pay for NRL. But its all speculation at this point, lets see what the deal ends up before getting too excited or dismayed.

Given what we know, What is there to justify the rise?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given what we know, What is there to justify the rise?
competitive tension, first time in a long time. It upped the skynz deal for us by 62% just by having two bidders. I suspect they will also introduce tassie as club 19 to create more content, though as Dolphins showed that doesnt seem to add much if any value. They may also be bidding fox against seven for changes to the way the games are delivered and whilst it may lead to decline in one area the up swing by the other party may be greater than the down swing. As I said its just speculation at this point and by my opinion if they achieve anything over $450mill a year they will have done well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yesterday NRL couldn't even get in top 20 FTA shows by not cracking more than 242k metro viewers, meanwhile AFL got 9th spot for seven with 459k + 88k streaming metro. Thats why seven will go hard to keep afl as exclusive as they can.
Meanwhile Ch9 is losing its only real out of Sydney drawcard with Broncos moving more to fox, allegedly. no wonder they wouldn't pay any more cash in next deal.

Iamback

Coach
competitive tension, first time in a long time. It upped the skynz deal for us by 62% just by having two bidders. I suspect they will also introduce tassie as club 19 to create more content, though as Dolphins showed that doesnt seem to add much if any value. They may also be bidding fox against seven for changes to the way the games are delivered and whilst it may lead to decline in one area the up swing by the other party may be greater than the down swing. As I said its just speculation at this point and by my opinion if they achieve anything over $450mill a year they will have done well.

I have doubts on the multiple bidders, Take channel 10/Paramount plus. They may have the cash to make a bid, I can't see them being in a position to over way overs to force. Seven/Fox to pay up.

Channel 9/Stan won't have the cash to bid let alone push Fox/7 to pay more.

Optus and Amazon, Given the high production costs and lack of International appeal. Neither is going to go at either NRL or AFL rights

Iamback

Coach
Yesterday NRL couldn't even get in top 20 FTA shows by not cracking more than 242k metro viewers, meanwhile AFL got 9th spot for seven with 459k + 88k streaming metro. Thats why seven will go hard to keep afl as exclusive as they can.
Meanwhile Ch9 is losing its only real out of Sydney drawcard with Broncos moving more to fox, allegedly. no wonder they wouldn't pay any more cash in next deal.

Was the AFL game on Fox?

Latest posts