What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

The_Wookie

Bench
You know what the kicker is? Foxtel and Seven know what they are paying Now and most importantly what they are paying for 2023-2024. Since the AFL did not name the amount both these Organizations are paying in the extended contract, by deductive reasoning THEY KNOW THE AFL ARE LYING regarding the $473 per year. Wonder how that goes in negotiations. Usually negotiations rely on full faith and trust. Not much of those qualities around here. So the AFL lies have finally caught up with them. The $600m Paramount bullshit is the cherry on top. Notice how they say what the PAramount amount was, it never made sence, because a expert for Paramount would have noticed this bull/s number $946m for two years..... or $273 for one year.

Wait...so the absence of evidence is evidence?

colly

Juniors
I have been re-reading the press releases and media reporting of the June 2020 ( Seven TV Discounts for 2020,2021,2022) and the reporting of a extension or extended contract also.

So to get to the $473m one year $946m two year amount I'ts been suggested that ( By MR Red) that 5 year contract is as follows $117m for 2020 $117m for 2021 $117m for 2022 and then $190m for 2023 and $190m for 2024. for a total of $730m, and a average of $146m over the contract. ( For Seven TV)

But here is proof that Seven just see's the extend contract is from the original contract ( 2017-2022)
This is a Financial review report on the deal.

See bolded-

"Foxtel has extended broadcast rights with the AFL for two years to cover the 2023 and 2024 seasons, in a deal worth 20 per cent more to the AFL than its current deal with the News Corp majority-owned broadcaster.

Telstra, which is the other major shareholder in Foxtel, also extended its direct rights with the AFL for the same period, while announcing it would become Marvel Stadium's official technology partner, turning the Melbourne ground into a showcase for its 5G technology.

The AFL said the deals with Foxtel, Telstra and Seven were together worth $946 million over the 2023 and 2024 seasons. Seven is paying just under $300 million of that figure." End of quote Fin Review
So $146m for 2023 and $146m for 2022 equals = $292m Seven is paying just under $300 million of that figure.

So the real figures are $240m foxtel + Teltsra $50+ Seven $146m = $436m per year's for 2023 and 2024.
That's $37m short of the $473m . (yearly figure )
That's $74m short of the $946m for full extension.

Last edited:

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Fox and seven aren’t losing the afl

they are trying to bluff them into paying more by lieing about how much ten offered
I`m not 100 % convinced that the Ten bid isn`t a possibility. If they go with Ten then fumbleball can avoid all the home state palava and Ten can broadcast where ever they want. I`d assume they`d have an agreement with fumbeball to keep the home state stuff in place to keep the fumbleball happy. It is a key plank in their strategy to grow the game after all.
The downside with Ten is that they aren`t aligned with any newspapers and that is still important. Like it or not the papers still sell hundreds of thousands of copies and set the news agenda for every breakfast and radio programme every day. That would be a big hole.
The other concern would be whether the penetration of smart TV`s is complete enough in Oz to risk putting games behind a streaming paywall. And of course Ten really is the poor relation in Oz Tv as well.

Perth Red

Post Whore

The AFL said the deals with Foxtel, Telstra and Seven were together worth $946 million over the 2023 and 2024 seasons. Seven is paying just under $300 million of that figure." End of quote Fin Review
So $146m for 2023 and $146m for 2022 equals = $292m Seven is paying just under $300 million of that figure.

So the real figures are $240m foxtel + Teltsra $50+ Seven $146m = $436m per year for 2023 and 2024.
Which would make zero sense unless you are saying that seven also paid $143mill a year 20-22, which we know full well they didnt. Its just a lazy journalist who hasnt thought it through, bit like you lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I`m not 100 % convinced that the Ten bid isn`t a possibility. If they go with Ten then fumbleball can avoid all the home state palava and Ten can broadcast where ever they want. I`d assume they`d have an agreement with fumbeball to keep the home state stuff in place to keep the fumbleball happy. It is a key plank in their strategy to grow the game after all.
The downside with Ten is that they aren`t aligned with any newspapers and that is still important. Like it or not the papers still sell hundreds of thousands of copies and set the news agenda for every breakfast and radio programme every day. That would be a big hole.
The other concern would be whether the penetration of smart TV`s is complete enough in Oz to risk putting games behind a streaming paywall. And of course Ten really is the poor relation in Oz Tv as well.
Newspapers in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide wont stop filling the back pages with the cities main sport.

colly

Juniors
Which would make zero sense unless you are saying that seven also paid $143mill a year 20-22, which we know full well they didnt. Its just a lazy journalist who hasnt thought it through, bit like you lol.
No they payed (your figure) $143m for the years 2017 to 2019. And yes they pay something around that as the oringal contract was $140m yearly.
Now your being ridiculous for saying Seven will go from paying this , like now $117m and in a few months time pay $190m for 2023
That's $73 million increase by Seven- your dreaming.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I would love ten to get it

it would leave a genuine bidding war for league rights since seven would’ve lost one of its biggest sports

Seven losing a lot of content there and afl losing a lot of fta access

fox clearly have seen the limitations of afl as a tv sport and are now demanding value
& as has been stated several times now & again

if 7's schedule is drastically altered to their detriment , they will pay less then they are now ... the aflol may recoup the amount being paid now by adding thursdays , night GF's & as the article states , a 19th team & an extra 11 games per year

but for mine
only back to what they're paying now ...146 mill pa

foxtels amount will rise ...
but fans outside of vicderpia will be mightly pissed off with foxtel & the aflol

its still a mess
an utter mess ...

colly

Juniors
I have been re-reading the press releases and media reporting of the June 2020 ( Seven TV Discounts for 202,2021,2022) and the reporting of a extension or extended contract also.

So to get to the $473m one $946m two year amount I'ts been suggested that ( By MR Red) that 5 year contract is as follows $117m for 2020 $117m for 2021 $117m for 2022 and then $190m for 2023 and $190m for 2024. for a total of $730m, and a average of $146mbover the contract.

But here is proof that Seven just see's the extend contract is from the original contract ( 2017-2022)

See bolded-

"Foxtel has extended broadcast rights with the AFL for two years to cover the 2023 and 2024 seasons, in a deal worth 20 per cent more to the AFL than its current deal with the News Corp majority-owned broadcaster.

Telstra, which is the other major shareholder in Foxtel, also extended its direct rights with the AFL for the same period, while announcing it would become Marvel Stadium's official technology partner, turning the Melbourne ground into a showcase for its 5G technology.

So the real figures are $240m foxtel + Teltsra $50+ Seven $146m = $436m per year for 2023 and 2024.
And I still say something really stinks in the Telstra $50 million give away. Like showing replays of games , which you already bought with Foxtel, remember Foxtel is 60% News LTD and 40% Telstra. I would write to the Corporate affairs but it's located in Melbourne and AFL loving hack would just file it away in the round filing cabinet. It should be noted that without the Telsra giveway the NRL would have had the bigger broadcast deal- Not because of News ltd/ Foxtel as they pay NRL and AFL the same $240m yearly.

colly

Juniors
& as has been stated several times now & again

if 7's schedule is drastically altered to their detriment , they will pay less then they are now ... the aflol may recoup the amount being paid now by adding thursdays , night GF's & as the article states , a 19th team & an extra 11 games per year

but for mine
only back to what they're paying now ...146 mill pa

foxtels amount will rise ...
but fans outside of vicderpia will be mightly pissed off with foxtel & the aflol

its still a mess
an utter mess ...
Yes talking about the new deal the AFL is trying to sell , I can't see Foxtel paying more, just for same, that's why we see stories in the media that their UNHAPPY with the conditions Seven has.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No they payed (your figure) $143m for the years 2017 to 2019. And yes they pay something around that as the oringal contract was $140m yearly.
Now your being ridiculous for saying Seven will go from paying this , like now $117m and in a few months time pay $190m for 2023
That's $73 million increase by Seven- your dreaming.
you are totally ignoring all the reports of Seven paying a significantly discounted rate for 20-22. Its really not hard to understand! They are paying $730mill over 20-24. The first three years they are paying a lower rate, the last two they are paying a higher rate. Over the 5 years it avg at $146mil a year. How hard can it be to understand that????

colly

Juniors
you are totally ignoring all the reports of Seven paying a significantly discounted rate for 20-22. Its really not hard to understand! They are paying $730mill over 20-24. The first three years they are paying a lower rate, the last two they are paying a higher rate. Over the 5 years it avg at $146mil a year. How hard can it be to understand that????
Your got to be joking! Last time I went 'shopping' and I seen a dicounted product, which I then puchased at the discount price and I was NOT forced to pay a inflated price for another product to make up the discounts worth. Discount means just what it means. It's NOT a lowering of the price to be made up by paying more in the future. But then again your arguing over a term and your twisting the defintion. But your raving now putting any arguments up, like "that's just a lazy Journalist" when he reports what you don't like, as per your previous post.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your got to be joking! Last time I went 'shopping' and I seen a dicounted product, which I then puchased at the discount price and I was NOT forced to pay a inflated price for another product to make up the discounts worth. Discount means just what it means. It's NOT a lowering of the price to be made up by paying more in the future. But then again your arguing over a term and your twisting the defintion. But your raving now putting any arguments up, like "that's just a lazy Journalist" when he reports what you don't like, as per your previous post.
Somwhat do you think seven paid in 20-22?

colly

Juniors
I have been re-reading the press releases and media reporting of the June 2020 ( Seven TV Discounts for 2020,2021,2022) and the reporting of a extension or extended contract also.

So to get to the $473m one year $946m two year amount I'ts been suggested that ( By MR Red) that 5 year contract is as follows $117m for 2020 $117m for 2021 $117m for 2022 and then $190m for 2023 and $190m for 2024. for a total of $730m, and a average of $146m over the contract. ( For Seven TV)

See bolded-

So the real figures are $240m foxtel + Teltsra $50+ Seven $146m = $436m per year's for 2023 and 2024.
Now what where been talking about is only 2023-and 2024 AFL. The NRL get over $400m also. So not far behind at all. One part that unnoticed about the AFL is Telstra being a 'direct cash', partner for the 2025 however their is never talk of them partipating - onwards. How would they justify $50 million p/a for something they already bought with Foxtel- it seems intelligence levels or the grifting nature of AFL and Telstra decision makers -couldn't care less about responsible handling of shareholders funds- however whats new. Lets see if and when the new deal (2025 onwards ) Andy CEO Telstra grows a pair and puts to bed this double dealing or double purchase.
Whats plain to see here is the AFL will have trouble beating the NRL if Telstra 'direct cash' of $50m for replays. (when I watch Kayo, 40% owned by Telstra, I see replays of games )- who would have guessed.

So without Telstra cash in 2025 onwards all the pressure goes on Foxtel and Seven for the 2025- contract. Seven will want to keep the high rating it gets from effectively showing 5/6 games per round especially into home markets which rate fantastically. For example without the Perth and Adelaide 'time shifted' ratings numbers the NRL will always be the biggest raters - so their is great advantage for Seven to hold onto 'their rights' and now wanting Digital rights as well. I cant see Foxtel ( who stalled for 2023-2-24 deal for six months ) upping the $240m without major concessions or privileges taken from Seven. And if that happens Seven wont pay over the $146m they pay now, in fact they will lower their bid maybe to 'corona level of $117m. A rock and a hard place- it may well turn out the NRL wins, with their over $400 million.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now what been talking about only 2023-and 2024 AFL. The NRL get over $400m also. One part that unnoticed is Telstra being a 'direct cash', partner for the 2025 however their is never talk of them partipating - onwards. How would they justify $50 million for something they already bought with Foxtel- it seems intelligence levels or the grifting nature of AFL and Telstra decision makers -couldn't care less about responsible handling of shareholders funds- however whats new. Lets see if and when the new deal (2025 onwards ) Andy CEO Telstra grows a pair and puts to bed this double dealing or double purchase.
Whats plain to see here is the AFL will have trouble beating the NRL if Telstra 'direct cash' of $50m for 'replays' (when I watch Kayo, 40% owned by Telstra, I see replays of games )- who would have guess.

So without Telstra cash all the pressure goes on Foxtel and Seven for the 2025- contract. Seven will want to keep the high rating it gets from effectively showing 5/6 games per round especially into home markets which rate fantastically. For example without the Perth and Adelaide 'time shifted' ratings numbers the NRL will always be the biggest raters - so their is great advantage for Seven to hold onto 'their rights' and now wanting Digital rights as well. I cant see Foxtel ( who stalled for 2023-2-24 deal for six months upping the $240m without major concessions or privileges taken from Seven. And if that happens Seven wont pay over the $146m they pay now, in fact they will lower their bid maybe to 'corona level of $117m. A rock and a hard place- it may well turn out the NRL wins, with their over $400 million.
That's a lot of ifs and buts. You may be right, but the odds of AFL signing a deal worth less than $416mill are slim to none. Not to mention the Australian tv value of NRL is in fact around $370mill of which at least $20-25mill is contra. So an avg $345-50mill cash, give or take a $ or two is what Australian TV is paying for 23-27.

Re Telstra, its a very different partnership for AFL than they had with Fox for NRL. I do agree that Telstra deal really shouldn't be included in tv rights value discussion as they are paying largely for digital ownership and sponsorship now, not streaming rights other than replays. If they decide to mantain their current digital management and sponsorship deals beyond 24 has not yet been mentioned in the media or by either party. NRL (or at least Grant) decided it was better to develop digital platforms and revenue themselves. Maybe AFL will go that way or maybe they will keep it with Telstra as they get the revenue without any of the investment.

Last edited:
It’s not hard to understand, it’s he doesn’t want too, poor little Johnny can not bring himself to admit he’s wrong.

I actually can’t believe this code war is still a thing, hardly any AFL fans care what the NRL gets as evidenced on the BF rights thread, yet come here to the NRL thread and 90% of the posts are crying about the AFL citing conspiracy theories etc, some of you seem like you spend weeks researching it, WTF is wrong with you people?

Why do you care so much about the AFL deal? If anything the more the AFL get is good for the NRL, but some of you IMO would prefer the NRL got $10 along as the AFL got $9, absolute muppets.

Is it really that big a deal the countries premier sport gets more than the NRL? Does it really hurt so much you resort to making up Fantasies? Even when it was proven after the last rights deal it didn’t stop.

Both sports are worth what someone is willing to pay.

Last edited:
Now what where been talking about is only 2023-and 2024 AFL. The NRL get over $400m also. So not far behind at all. One part that unnoticed about the AFL is Telstra being a 'direct cash', partner for the 2025 however their is never talk of them partipating - onwards. How would they justify $50 million p/a for something they already bought with Foxtel- it seems intelligence levels or the grifting nature of AFL and Telstra decision makers -couldn't care less about responsible handling of shareholders funds- however whats new. Lets see if and when the new deal (2025 onwards ) Andy CEO Telstra grows a pair and puts to bed this double dealing or double purchase.
Whats plain to see here is the AFL will have trouble beating the NRL if Telstra 'direct cash' of $50m for replays. (when I watch Kayo, 40% owned by Telstra, I see replays of games )- who would have guessed.

So without Telstra cash in 2025 onwards all the pressure goes on Foxtel and Seven for the 2025- contract. Seven will want to keep the high rating it gets from effectively showing 5/6 games per round especially into home markets which rate fantastically. For example without the Perth and Adelaide 'time shifted' ratings numbers the NRL will always be the biggest raters - so their is great advantage for Seven to hold onto 'their rights' and now wanting Digital rights as well. I cant see Foxtel ( who stalled for 2023-2-24 deal for six months ) upping the $240m without major concessions or privileges taken from Seven. And if that happens Seven wont pay over the $146m they pay now, in fact they will lower their bid maybe to 'corona level of $117m. A rock and a hard place- it may well turn out the NRL wins, with their over $400 million.
Mate, it doesn’t matter what you can see or what you think, last time I checked posting incessantly on an Internet forum about the finances of a sport you hate probably won’t get you a 6 figure salary and a seat next to Rupe during the negotiations.

I could be wrong though.
DFDCD202-CB16-44AE-B2C5-3C3A9C46CEF2.jpeg