What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why hasn’t this piece of shit been banished to the fight club?
it gives the obsessed like panther and WB somewhere to talk about AFL. If you look in most threads on here they cant help but bring up AFl which leads us down a rabbit hole and a long way from discussing NRL relevant things lol. I even created a thread in fight club for this discussion!

But in short, because there are no active moderators on most parts of this forum.

colly

Juniors
The NRL has and is about to start (2023-2027) this contract very soon. It's over $400 per year. We want to compare this deal with fhe AFL 2025- onward deal. However the claim is also about he AFL 2023-2024 for a reportedly $946m or a one year deal at $473m. As you all know the figure I arrived at is (cash) of only $423m NOT $473m as told by CEO McLachlan. ( And Only then ($423m) because of the Telstra $50m giveway.)
But the current negations will tell us something about the 'two year deal' as well as the new 2025-'s.

Quote from CEO Seven,
Warburton said he would not do a deal without the digital rights, and any decision to put more games behind a paywall would reduce the amount he was willing to pay. “From a Seven perspective, anything going behind a paywall lessens the value,” he said.

So Foxtel won't pay more unless more games go behind a paywall and equallt bad for them Seven wants to get DIGITAL RIGHTS to all the games it shows.. This means ( geo blocking easy to do ) Perth and Adelaide can watch ALL their games on FTA. This is a killer for Foxtel, as I pointed out.

Also lets look at Sevens talk of not paying overs, this does not bode well for the AFL. Then we have the paramount bid, which was for $600m 'according to sources ( yes them again) then 'underwhelming' then over and then under $500, take your pick. The only statement from AFL or 'quote from then is 'where going with Seven/Foxtel with more games behind paywall.' I would have thought that condition alone would necessitate a lower or static bid, from Seven, even with Digtal rights and we know what Foxtel will think of losing ALL the digital rights which they currently have.

"However, Warburton and his chief financial officer, Jeff Howard, said the company would continue to watch costs amid inflationary pressures. Warburton said market downside was “way overblown”.

“When you look at the business... you’ve got to be very careful about the decisions you make,” he said, rather than just spending too much on a sporting contract or a content supplier arrangement."............

Seven West Media chief executive James Warburton says he will prioritise company costs over “ego” as the network prepares to fight rivals in broadcast negotiations and delivering a ratings win over the next financial year.
Them fighting words ...

Last edited:
Why hasn’t this piece of shit been banished to the fight club?
Woor widdle willy
it gives the obsessed like panther and WB somewhere to talk about AFL. If you look in most threads on here they cant help but bring up AFl which leads us down a rabbit hole and a long way from discussing NRL relevant things lol. I even created a thread in fight club for this discussion!

But in short, because there are no active moderators on most parts of this forum.
Don’t get me started on you ya piece of shit, you follow a fictional team FFS.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anyway back to the thread topic lol. We know tv deals get padded out by contra being included. In the 2017 deal it was valued at just over $24mill a year in the overall figures. Next deal is likely to be at least that plus an extra $5mill from nine and whatever is in the skynz upped figure. Could be over $30mill a year next year leaving around $370mill cash avg a year. last deal was an avg of $360mill cash a year meaning a real cash increase of just $10mill a year, or less than what the dolphins grant is going to be!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would be very interesting to know how much of the avg $360mill cash we should have got in '21 we actually got. The line item it is now rolled into has a revenue of $405mill but that includes the not unsubstantial areas of betting, digital and merchandise sales.

in 2019 digital brought in $24mill, betting $84mill, merch $12.2mill (BV)

If that is reflective of those areas in '21 then that means tv only brought in around $285mill cash.

Last edited:

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
discussing ?
or moaning like a bitch about PVL every opportunity you get

theres one way to shut you up...

The_Wookie

Bench
Interestingly, it's looking like the AFL broadcasters are wanting to copy the NRL formula of Super Saturday (with no FTA) and C7 being able to stream there games.

Yep, and part of that tradeoff will likely be an end to guaranteed local broadcasts outside Victoria, as well as Fox being able to use its own footage/commentators for all matches (currently they use Sevens for Channel Seven hosted matches). I wonder if they'll try for the last 5 rounds on Saturday night deal that the NRL has.

Will make BVOD interesting, the AFL has never done free streaming for in season matches in the mens comp.

Wb1234

Referee
Fox not willing to pay more looks like the afls bluff about paramount didn’t work

status quo to remain

paramount and none used to drum up fake competition in the hope the existing guys will pay more than they should

now we see if the broadcasters fell for it or not

Latest posts