What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Colk

First Grade
i do dopey
do you ?

you withdraw or threaten to the supply
the demand goes up
its a game of chicken ....

paramount will gladly be party to ending foxtel ... got close but couldn't do it with the aflol
they will... for the right price with the NRL

like ive said before
you seem very worried vlandys will correct this situation ..... real worried

but it'll be ok
honestly it will 😎

They’d breaking the terms of their contract if they did that. What are you going to do bar the Foxtel cameras at the games or bar commentators from their studios. They would take you to court and win. They have signed the contracts that’s it.

Again if you bar a party from entering the negotiations you are driving the price down, not up. If Paramount know that they are not bidding against Foxtel, they are not forced to bid as much. It’s pretty simple. It’s why fumbleball got their deal - because they got everybody to bid for it.

The only way out of this mess would be to take our medicine, get everybody to bid for the next deal or (and this is a long shot) argue that the current contract is voided and you can now have everybody to bid again (very costly and very unlikely to win) Trying to re-negotiate an existing deal means we will likely to be short changed again and probably locked into a longer contract.

Btw l sincerely hope he does have an ace up his sleeve and can get out of this situation.

Wb1234

Referee
Shane Richardson doesn't reckon the junior boundaries in Sydney have ever worked. I agree with him. AwFuL has increased its participation rate across the country under a centralised system while our game has gone backwards under the club-run system.

The game has dedicated the last 25 years to keeping small Sydney clubs alive and competitive through the annual grant. Take away the $15m each club gets and there's no way the Sydney clubs would compete with the Broncos. The grant seems to be going up every few years.

That suggests clubs are becoming even more dependent on hand outs. No wonder they're shitting the bed over the botched broadcast deal!

If players and clubs want a larger slice of the pie -- to the detriment of grassroots RL -- then they should be made to perform more development and promotional work across schools and junior leagues. Reduce training by one or two days each week so the players can get more involved with the community. It just might lead to more kids playing the game and attending NRL matches.
Shame Richardson huh ?

lmao

I mean that idea sounds brilliant

Perth Red

Post Whore
“In 2019, the 16 NRL clubs as a group recorded $38 million in losses,” he wrote. “During COVID, when the NRL increased net funding to clubs from $29 million to $86.4 million, it meant that the 16 clubs as a group made approximately $30 million in profit when other businesses and sports were incurring heavy losses. This was on top of the $144 million per annum the NRL paid the players on behalf of the clubs.​
“For the next five years we have proposed a 140% increase in funding to clubs as compared to 2019. It’s expected players are going to receive a 19% increase, 12% adjusting for expansion. Not bad considering most employees are on average receiving a 3% increase.​
“Yet a minority, rather than being appreciative, are demanding more. However, what is disappointing is they have a strategy to personally attack me and the NRL in order to achieve their unrealistic demands. The NRL next year will have record revenues and a cost-effective operation, which will make record distributions to players and clubs.​
“To single out broadcast in isolation is misleading and opportunistic. Firstly, the AFL’s new broadcast deal does not start until 2025. It finishes in 2031. Before 2025, the NRL will likely have done a new broadcast deal. This will mean more distributions to clubs and players and a cost-effective operation. Also, a substantial part of the AFL revenue goes to operational costs. The NRL operational costs are now 25% of its revenue. In stark contrast, the AFL operational expenses in 2021 were 47% of its revenue.​
“Infighting inside the game has always held us back. Attacking the game to achieve a better result for one stakeholder group comes at the cost of the overall game. Ironically, damaging the game will hurt all of us in the future.”​

He's boasting about taking money away from all levels below NRL and handing it to NRL clubs who made a massive loss in 2019.

How is that good for the game?

Surprise surprise, the clubs he bailed out are still whinging!

The same thing happened to John Grant after he caved in to the clubs.

We need to stop pandering to the clubs and start investing in juniors and expansion. If the poorer clubs wish to spend more than they earn then let them find their way out of trouble or kick them out when they go bust.
How the hell can they still be making losses with an$13mill grant and a $10mill cap? Geez some of them really are poor businesses.

clearly these latest two stories are just appeasers as the drums start to beat for his head. like you said he’s doing what grant did to save his position, throw more money at clubs and players so they keep him in position. Sigh.

They’d breaking the terms of their contract if they did that. What are you going to do bar the Foxtel cameras at the games or bar commentators from their studios. They would take you to court and win. They have signed the contracts that’s it.

Again if you bar a party from entering the negotiations you are driving the price down, not up. If Paramount know that they are not bidding against Foxtel, they are not forced to bid as much. It’s pretty simple. It’s why fumbleball got their deal - because they got everybody to bid for it.

The only way out of this mess would be to take our medicine, get everybody to bid for the next deal or (and this is a long shot) argue that the current contract is voided and you can now have everybody to bid again (very costly and very unlikely to win) Trying to re-negotiate an existing deal means we will likely to be short changed again and probably locked into a longer contract.

Btw l sincerely hope he does have an ace up his sleeve and can get out of this situation.
you seem to be getting stupider by the post ... which in itself is a fair feat

they .... CAN... do what ever the f**k they want with the contract they did with the NRL ... if the NRL agrees to it
I mean seriously .... mutually agreeing to upgrade the present contract is perfectly doable

& I'd suggest foxtel don't underestimate the ARLC & what it will do or won't do after they out & out lied to it about its financial position & ... if they aren't prepared to show good faith when the NRL was

well this next deal will be the last with them
&
they will fold soon after ... bye bye foxtel ..

they... won't let this happen
I dare them to say ... ok well off ya go then

Colk

First Grade
you seem to be getting stupider by the post ... which in itself is a fair feat

they .... CAN... do what ever the f**k they want with the contract they did with the NRL ... if the NRL agrees to it
I mean seriously .... mutually agreeing to upgrade the present contract is perfectly doable

& I'd suggest foxtel don't underestimate the ARLC & what it will do or won't do after they out & out lied to it about its financial position & ... if they aren't prepared to show good faith when the NRL was

well this next deal will be the last with them
&
they will fold soon after ... bye bye foxtel ..

they... won't let this happen
I dare them to say ... ok well off ya go then

Pot kettle black my friend. You obviously don’t know anything about contract law

Firstly, you are making assumptions on this whole thing. Do you have evidence that Foxtel outright lied regards their financial position? Your view is only based on an assumption drawn from one of V’Landys stupid responses to an interview. We can all whinge about Foxtel not paying us enough but that is not in their interest as a company to pay more than they want to pay. If our negotiation skills are so poor that we don’t get market rates than that is on V’Landys or other negotiators, not the other way around.

Secondly, the financial terms of a contract are completely seperate to the conditions of said contract. I can’t just decide to not follow the conditions of the contract because I no longer believe that the financial terms of said contract are fair (in hindsight) V’Landys thought at the time that he was getting a fair deal which has proven to be incorrect. It’s also not like he wasn’t warned about that if reports are correct. In regards to the conditions, Foxtel would be fulfilling their obligations of the contract so long as they continue to do what they are currently doing

Thirdly, the NRL have no leverage, absolutely none, unless they can find something in this contract that is unfair and prejudiced or in other words prove that the agreement was not struck in good faith. Also, pointing to the fact that they paid more for fumbleball would not constitute our agreement with Foxtel not being done in good faith, so there goes that defence. It is a seperate agreement with a seperate party and if they got more, well done to them. You can’t force them to re-negotiate if they don’t want to and again in a re-negotiation of a contract, they would hold the power. We would have to concede again in this position so why would you try and negotiate from a position of weakness?

Fourthly, you don’t seem to be understanding the basic tenet of supply equals demand. Hypothetically, if V’landys threatens them and say that this will be their last deal with Pay TV, then we won’t get the deal we all want. Sure Foxtel would be severely damaged but we would be incredibly damaged as well. There is no way we would get a good deal if let’s say for example, Paramount and maybe Stan are the only ones bidding. You need Foxtel to at least bid for the rights to create necessary tension.

Frank Burge

Juniors
Could the NRL add an 18th team to create a 9th game every week and sell it to another network seperately or even hide it behind their own paywall and test the waters if fox don’t want to renegotiate the existing deal ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only way fox and or nine are going to give more on a deal that hasn’t even started yet is if there’s something in it for them.

I was always curious why seven and fox agreed to pay back the afl covid reductions in 23&24. It seems an incredibly generous thing to do. Now their new deal is done I suspect there may have been an unwritten last rights agreement in there as pay back for the $946mill they agreed to. Paramount and nine pushing their bids over $500mill and seven fox knowing that could well be why they ended up at around $580mill.

so what’s Vlandys going to give up to get more out of fox and nine before 2028? An 18th club and new game slot is the obvious one. Maybe an extension beyond 2027? What else we got to offer?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Y
Their product is.

People consume a whole variety of things not because it is intrinsically good or it is a great product but because they have been brainwashed to; or coerced to because of very good marketing. Refer fast food companies, reality TV.
yep McDonald’s is the most popualr restaurant in the world. their food is dogshit prepared by kids! Quality of product means little to the masses.

Diesel

Referee
Clubs shouldn’t be getting a 40% increase IMO, that needs to go to grassroots. As for players wanting an increase to 47% revenue, perhaps if theystopped giving newspapers and media a free reason to lead with front page stories, then maybe they deserve an increase. I’m sick if NRL dragged through the mud because these guys think it’s ok to share toilet cubicles, DVO’s, dry hump dogs on instagram

Iamback

Coach
Clubs shouldn’t be getting a 40% increase IMO, that needs to go to grassroots. As for players wanting an increase to 47% revenue, perhaps if theystopped giving newspapers and media a free reason to lead with front page stories, then maybe they deserve an increase. I’m sick if NRL dragged through the mud because these guys think it’s ok to share toilet cubicles, DVO’s, dry hump dogs on instagram

The clubs do the most of development though, Assuming they get their wish of $5m over the cap. That covers most junior development programs

Colk

First Grade
The only way fox and or nine are going to give more on a deal that hasn’t even started yet is if there’s something in it for them.

I was always curious why seven and fox agreed to pay back the covid reductions in 23&24. It seems an incredibly genervous thing to do. Now their new deal is done I suspect there may have been an unwritten last rights agreement in there as pay back for the $946mill they agreed to. Paramount and nine pushing their bids over $500mill and seven fox knowing that could we’ll be why they ended up at around $580mill.

so what’s Vlandys going to give up to get more out of fox and nine before 2028? An 18th club and new game slot is the obvious one. Maybe an extension beyond 2027? What else we got to offer?

Unless Foxtel actually agreed to a compensation deal (which reports suggests they didn’t ) then very little. An extra side is the obvious thing but why would you do it in the middle of a current deal