What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Steel Saints

Juniors
ok so a glimmer of hope. There is a rumour in the West that in June next year there will be an announcement of an 18th club in Perth to enter a couple of years later. This will see an increase in the current deal from 2026 and allow the NRL to negotiate for 2028 with an 18 team comp, along with an 18 team womens comp. Might be BS but thats the rumour on this side of the country.

I thought the NRL was never going back again to the negotiation table in its current deal. There's always dreams about Perth coming in early. However, those rumours feel like second hand news though.

The more rumours I read, the more I don't want to know.

Colk

First Grade
ok so a glimmer of hope. There is a rumour in the West that in June next year there will be an announcement of an 18th club in Perth to enter a couple of years later. This will see an increase in the current deal from 2026 and allow the NRL to negotiate for 2028 with an 18 team comp, along with an 18 team womens comp. Might be BS but thats the rumour on this side of the country.

Obviously that depends on what type of form this Perth club comes in as. If the rumour is true and considering how everything is lining up, I have a sneaky suspicion that Perth team would be the Bears. Now if the Bears got all their demands across the line then that’s a travelling circus rather than a Perth club. If they didn’t and home games are actually in Perth (except maybe one then fine)

Hopefully my cynicism/fears though are not well founded.

Vee

First Grade
Source?

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Obviously that depends on what type of form this Perth club comes in as. If the rumour is true and considering how everything is lining up, I have a sneaky suspicion that Perth team would be the Bears. Now if the Bears got all their demands across the line then that’s a travelling circus rather than a Perth club. If they didn’t and home games are actually in Perth (except maybe one then fine)

Hopefully my cynicism/fears though are not well founded.
Tasmanian Government promising $12m for 12 years for a fumbleball team. W.A. Gov`t. announces a $6 billion surplus and there`s nothing for a League team. Don`t get it. Something`s rotten in the Golden west.

Colk

First Grade
Tasmanian Government promising $12m for 12 years for a fumbleball team. W.A. Gov`t. announces a $6 billion surplus and there`s nothing for a League team. Don`t get it. Something`s rotten in the Golden west.

Well it is all dependent on them getting a side first. Who knows if this rumour has any substance (there is no media reports on it) and then if it does, what type of side they get. I’d like to see details before making any comment

Based on how keen they were with getting games over there etc there would be some money on the table you’d think but who knows. Also let’s hope that it is done properly and then we can forge ahead with other places - next definitely being another Kiwi side

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Makes you wonder why Vlandys wouldnt enter a 17th and 18th team at the same time to increase the value of the deal but when your dealing with a broadcaster who are also dealing with your opposition ie AFL and the broadcaster says you can only have a 17th thus keeping the value down so they can give the extra cash to the AFL to suite their own agenda and you do as they ask its an F'n joke. Vlandys is pathetic as is Abdo get rid of these clowns. They have done more for News Corp and AFL then the game they are meant to serve and no one holds these useless administrators to account.

Perth Red

Post Whore
doh, lol. WA Govt is on record as being willing to support an NRL team. It was written up by the East coast media to be all about the Bears, surprise surprise, but in reality was about how the WA govt could support a future NRL club to be viable and a choice for NRL in WA.
After the Western Force funding scandal it wont be direct cash, but it should be an upgrade to HBF park, a WA CofE for the game and funding for grassroots increasing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Makes you wonder why Vlandys wouldnt enter a 17th and 18th team at the same time to increase the value of the deal but when your dealing with a broadcaster who are also dealing with your opposition ie AFL and the broadcaster says you can only have a 17th thus keeping the value down so they can give the extra cash to the AFL to suite their own agenda and you do as they ask its an F'n joke. Vlandys is pathetic as is Abdo get rid of these clowns. They have done more for News Corp and AFL then the game they are meant to serve and no one holds these useless administrators to account.
I've read some sht in my time but to read a leader of the game come out and blatantly say that he undersold the tv rights in order to make sure TV companies remain viable is staggering! Especially when the same Tv company then goes out and spends double on a competitor! I mean its indefensible.

Iamback

Coach

If Team 18 is a new market then it takes time to get up and going

Iamback

Coach
Then plan for it knowing it is key for the game securing a good deal. The reality is he just does what News Corp want and if people cant see this they are kidding themselves.

People are guessing what the deal should be and making asumptions based on an AFL competition that is an apples and oranges comparison

westerntiger

Juniors
Lol they’re corrupt as hell over there. Even NSW isn’t as bad as that lot. Even Kerry Packer called out the West Australians for being a bunch of crooks.
Better believe the AFL will intervene before any of their friendly state governments props up an NRL bid…

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
So you think its a good deal?

$400m cash is a lot better than $400m in total, There needs to be more details.
Like does it count the Women's comp? for example it is hard to do a breakdown otherwise.

Lets assume it is just the mens comp because the Womens comp is still homeless as far as a timeslot purpose but that would be extra content as mentioned in the article

It is still 8 games a week which is 640 mins a week live content. Only have halftime to puts ads in.
AFL is 1080 mins a week, Broken into 4 qtrs so more chance to sell ads

Both seasons run for roughly the same length and NRL costs $100k pre covid to produce a game, So you also have those extra costs to take into consideration.

So I can see that there would a difference, Too many moving parts to say if it is a good deal or not

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Such a large difference though. Do you think Saint Pete and the invisible man handled this well and squeezed every cent out of the broadcasters they could?

Frank Burge

Juniors
$400m cash is a lot better than $400m in total, There needs to be more details.
Like does it count the Women's comp? for example it is hard to do a breakdown otherwise.

Lets assume it is just the mens comp because the Womens comp is still homeless as far as a timeslot purpose but that would be extra content as mentioned in the article

It is still 8 games a week which is 640 mins a week live content. Only have halftime to puts ads in.
AFL is 1080 mins a week, Broken into 4 qtrs so more chance to sell ads

Both seasons run for roughly the same length and NRL costs $100k pre covid to produce a game, So you also have those extra costs to take into consideration.

So I can see that there would a difference, Too many moving parts to say if it is a good deal or not
Why weren’t all those things taken into consideration when there was only a $36m per year gap in the last tv deal cycle, as opposed to the current $100m-$150m per year? He has done a shit deal for rugby league and has put us on the back foot for a decade minimum

Latest posts