What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Wb1234

Referee
Exactly plenty to still add and for 2023 and 2024 NRL has better deal and can close the gap for the remaining 3 years.
Then the new TV deal kicks in for the last 4 years of the AFL one. people are whinging for the sake of whinging
Colk made some fair points

he’s worried vlandys panics and extends the deal rather than going to tender

Iamback

Coach
Colk made some fair points

he’s worried vlandys panics and extends the deal rather than going to tender

If Stan is interested they will make it known through Channel 9, Because a formal public tender process isn't played out. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen behind closed doors.

Need to see more Paramount and Stan on at Pubs and clubs over the next few years before they are a realistic option but that is for down the track

Nerd

Bench
If Stan is interested they will make it known through Channel 9, Because a formal public tender process isn't played out. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen behind closed doors.

Need to see more Paramount and Stan on at Pubs and clubs over the next few years before they are a realistic option but that is for down the track
If Paramount won the NRL rights pubs would be falling over themselves to subscribe.

Iamback

Coach
If Paramount won the NRL rights pubs would be falling over themselves to subscribe.

I said it before are many pubs particularly in the country able to set up multiple screens streamed from internet?

That is why Fox is still preferred because it comes via cable and especially can have multiple channels

Needs to be accessible or the game follows Rugby and A League down the drain

Nerd

Bench
As I said before I have this horrible feeling and conspiracy theory that PVL has done a shit deal for the NRL because he somehow gains favour with Newscorp for Racing NSW. Besides him being totally incompetent why else would he extend our deal during Covid without going to an open tender???

docbrown

Coach
The NRL will now have 4 Queensland games most rounds with a Queensland derby game every 2-3 weeks. You'll see a very real uptick in Queensland viewership.

The NRL need to add the Perth Bears in 2025/2026 for a 9th game. Make it a Sunday evening game or bring back Monday night football. It can be put out to tender for a 2 year contract if 9 and Foxtel don't want to stump up the cash for it as it is new content in a non competing timeslot. That gives them a full year before the next negotiations start.

That then just leaves Adelaide as the only remaining major Australian market.

Colk

First Grade
I said it before are many pubs particularly in the country able to set up multiple screens streamed from internet?

That is why Fox is still preferred because it comes via cable and especially can have multiple channels

Needs to be accessible or the game follows Rugby and A League down the drain

Calm down.

A-League’s problem has been that the competition isn’t popular enough and never been popular enough to lock itself away on subscription TV. They didn’t gain the widespread popularity needed prior to going on to Paramount and people aren’t going to fork out the money to pay for that privilege (other than those diehards)

Rugby League has been primarily on cable based services for 20 odd years and it hasn’t affected the popularity at all. Prior to that we had gained the mass audience and the interest to move to such platforms. As we can see from Pay TV ratings, there are more than enough people who are willing to spend that money to get RL games.

docbrown

Coach
Rugby League has been primarily on cable based services for 20 odd years and it hasn’t affected the popularity at all. Prior to that we had gained the mass audience and the interest to move to such platforms. As we can see from Pay TV ratings, there are more than enough people who are willing to spend that money to get RL games.

People still have a 90s / early 2000s mindset. 70% of Australian use streaming and have subscription to 2-3 services. What you're going to see over the next 15 years is a consolidation of service to increase content libraries. Just like in the 80s/90s though, the most reliable viewer base and content hours generator is live sport. You just watch - a lot of services that are currently only movies and television will expand as the competition to survive the streaming wars takes place.

Colk

First Grade
People still have a 90s / early 2000s mindset. 70% of Australian use streaming and have subscription to 2-3 services. What you're going to see over the next 15 years is a consolidation of service to increase content libraries. Just like in the 80s/90s though, the most reliable viewer base and content hours generator is live sport. You just watch - a lot of services that are currently only movies and television will expand as the competition to survive the streaming wars takes place.

100%. The influence of standard FTA channels/services like Nine will continue to wane - has already.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the $400m cash is true with the $80m contra next year = $480m

AFL is $473m take off $50m Telstra money = $423m for 2023 and 2024

Still a bad deal?
Next year our cash will be around $370-375mill. Contra will be $15mill ch9, $10mill plus fox/sky

Their deal is $473mill plus $10mill radio rights of which $50mill is Telstra so $433mill of which about $20mill will be contra

so $370-375mill cash nrl.
$413 mill cash afl.
Around $30-40mill ish cash difference on 23&24.

then the pain really comes…..

people making figures up to make Vlandys terrible terrible deal sound better need to give themselves an uppercut!

Iamback

Coach
As I said before I have this horrible feeling and conspiracy theory that PVL has done a shit deal for the NRL because he somehow gains favour with Newscorp for Racing NSW. Besides him being totally incompetent why else would he extend our deal during Covid without going to an open tender???

To get expansion sorted, I'd have your concerns if NRL extended with no plans

The_Wookie

Bench
Afl just redid their deal for the future

you don’t think the arlc can also redo their future deals lmao

heck if it makes you happy they can put a billion dollars on top for Telstra to provide 5g to the gambaro hotel

The AFL did a NEW deal for the future. Its not a deal extension, or a renewed deal. Its a new deal. period.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To get expansion sorted, I'd have your concerns if NRL extended with no plans
so he signed a deal that cost us $500mill plus in order to rush in an expansion side that generated very little money? Outstanding!

Only way we get close to afls $593mill is if it goes to open tender for ‘28 onwards. Realistically a ninth game and expanded nrlw is worth $30-40mill tops to fox Without competitive tension. They may agree a bit more for the privilege of extending so let’s be generous and say they offer $50mill a year more than the current $240mill. That is still a total of $140mill a year behind afl tv deal. Id rather wait until 2028 for expansion and try and maximise tv rights by going to open tender for end of contract.

oh and keep pistol Pete 3 miles away from negotiations!

Frank Burge

Juniors
Next year our cash will be around $370-375mill. Contra will be $15mill ch9, $10mill plus fox/sky

Their deal is $473mill plus $10mill radio rights of which $50mill is Telstra so $433mill of which about $20mill will be contra

so $370-375mill cash nrl.
$413 mill cash afl.
Around $30-40mill ish cash difference on 23&24.

then the pain really comes…..

people making figures up to make Vlandys terrible terrible deal sound better need to give themselves an uppercut!
In that last article posted it did say $400m cash in the comparison with AFL deal, most info we get is from news articles so we probably are working off that figure ( maybe the extra $20m is from the dolphins)

Iamback

Coach
In that last article posted it did say $400m cash in the comparison with AFL deal, most info we get is from news articles so we probably are working off that figure ( maybe the extra $20m is from the dolphins)

The know all from the West says otherwise, Despite an article with quotes from the Chairman in it

For me what is included in that is key and what extra content can still be added

Iamback

Coach
so he signed a deal that cost us $500mill plus in order to rush in an expansion side that generated very little money? Outstanding!

Only way we get close to afls $593mill is if it goes to open tender for ‘28 onwards. Realistically a ninth game and expanded nrlw is worth $30-40mill tops to fox Without competitive tension. They may agree a bit more for the privilege of extending so let’s be generous and say they offer $50mill a year more than the current $240mill. That is still a total of $140mill a year behind afl tv deal. Id rather wait until 2028 for expansion and try and maximise tv rights by going to open tender for end of contract.

oh and keep pistol Pete 3 miles away from negotiations!

Again though the $593m includes contra for Marvel renovations

You don't even know the deal so how can you say how much was lost? Nor what is included in it

How does contra in the form of a stadium renovation work? Also why would this be included in the broadcasting rights that the AFL announced?

On Marvel - I thought the Vic Govt were paying the lions share of this?

Iamback

Coach
How does contra in the form of a stadium renovation work? Also why would this be included in the broadcasting rights that the AFL announced?

That is the question that has no answer yet but seems to be enough to be included in the NRL got dudded talk though from their CEO on the offical website

• Through this new deal Telstra will be building on their investment into Marvel Stadium and extending into innovation and our digital offerings through the AFL / AFLW apps and all 18 clubs’ websites.

The only thing I can find on upgrades to Marvel is this but says it starts in time for next season not in 2 years time

doesn't say the cost or anything either

Wb1234

Referee

Nobody knows not even wookie

that’s the whole point of me calling this deal bs

in the past Telstra payments was for streaming afl games on their app so it was fair to include it in their deals

but now it’s not

news ltd literally posted an article saying the value of the deal from foxtel and seven was 3.5
Billion over 5 years

that in itself is a great outcome for afl

Colk

First Grade
Nobody knows not even wookie

that’s the whole point of me calling this deal bs

in the past Telstra payments was for streaming afl games on their app so it was fair to include it in their deals

but now it’s not

news ltd literally posted an article saying the value of the deal from foxtel and seven was 3.5
Billion over 5 years

that in itself is a great outcome for afl

That would be a brilliant result for them considering that is even more per annum than they announced.