What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

macavity

Referee
Well it's certainly an improvement - and if NIB are dead-set on keeping their brand colours on the jersey, a logo-hugging pill-shaped patch is far better than a big "**** the design" box.

sponsorship much better. Still a shit jersey design though. Gut Vs never look good.

flippikat

Bench
sponsorship much better. Still a shit jersey design though. Gut Vs never look good.
Yeah, Good point.

I can see what they were trying to achieve - making a spin on the 1988 original Knights jersey by making the red top section a V - but the execution is average.

It looks kinda like the Sharks and Reds Superleague designs.. which were pretty forgettable.

Nuke

Staff member
Surely a women's team could have a non-bearded mascot.
100%. That was my first reaction too. I'm sure there's nothing more a young sportswoman wants to do than proudly wear the pic of a scraggly hairy bearded bloke on her chest.
Canberra have a women's logo at their fingertips. They 100% should be going with that. Even if they keep the 'Raiders' name.

Joondalup Giants did it here in WA about 5 years ago and it's been a big success. And yeah, I know that's small-scale compared to the NRL, but the demographic is still the same. We had women from other clubs wishing their clubs could do it too.

It's honestly amazing how the Dolphins have manged to take red and gold, one of the best colour combos on the planet, and make it so ugly.

Their problem is that the shades are way off. Changing the shade of gold to a darker shade like old gold or brilliant gold would go a long way to fixing their problems. Moving from a bright red to blood red, or maybe something even darker like burgundy, would make the gold pop even more and look amazing as well.

They should also look to either replace white with a dark grey or black in their colour scheme, both of which go much better with gold than white, or use the white much more sparingly in their kit.

They also need to lower the ratio of gold to red on their home jersey as well, and explore using materials that actually give a metallic effect as well.
Red and Yellow are my favourite Colour's

The Great Dane

First Grade
100%. That was my first reaction too. I'm sure there's nothing more a young sportswoman wants to do than proudly wear the pic of a scraggly hairy bearded bloke on her chest.
Canberra have a women's logo at their fingertips. They 100% should be going with that. Even if they keep the 'Raiders' name.
I'd be willing to bet that it was the NRL that pushed for them to share the men's branding, and not the club.

It would certainly follow a pattern of the Raiders being forward thinking and looking to do things a bit differently only for the NRL/PVL to come in and rein them in.

GAZF

First Grade
I'm guessing the uniformity between men's and women's teams is required by the NRL rather than the club desiring to do it. The approach just doesn't work for several clubs in this case. A degree of wiggle room would allow better fits for the Raiders (Raider name with Valkyrie logo), Roosters (alternative name and logo - Bantams or Leghorns could work), Cowboys (possibly not necessary), Warriors (logo with female facial expression) and Storm (logo). Knights and Titans are borderline cases, but probably don't need to change for change's sake.

I'm guessing the uniformity between men's and women's teams is required by the NRL rather than the club desiring to do it. The approach just doesn't work for several clubs in this case. A degree of wiggle room would allow better fits for the Raiders (Raider name with Valkyrie logo), Roosters (alternative name and logo - Bantams or Leghorns could work), Cowboys (possibly not necessary), Warriors (logo with female facial expression) and Storm (logo). Knights and Titans are borderline cases, but probably don't need to change for change's sake.
Chicks? Women won’t mind, will they?

Timbo

Staff member
I'm pretty certain we asked if we could be called the Valkyries in the womens league and use that logo but the NRL vetoed it on the grounds of keeping branding consistent.

Bit silly though when you consider they let the Cowboys do it.

Latest posts