What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 NRL draw

Gronk

Staff member
Unsure why the Telecrap get exclusive access to snipets of the NRL 2023 draw so they can plunk it behind their paywall. Anyway Zero tackle have plagiarised it so you can read it for free.

—————8<—————-

The NRL has given clubs a first look at the proposed 2023 season draw, and as expected there are a number of changes incoming following the addition of the competition’s 17th team, the Dolphins.

Among the most notable changes, the season will now last 31 weeks - including 27 rounds and four weeks of finals. Each club will now also have three byes, as per The Daily Telegraph.

It sets up a scenario that is likely to see teams facing more than half the competition just once, which is expected to create a difficult balancing act when trying to determine a fair schedule.

The early look at the NRL’s intentions has come as the league gives clubs a draft proposal, with the aim of assisting clubs in developing their pre-season training schedules.

As it stands, Thursday, March 2 is the date clubs have been advised is most likely for the competition’s kick-off. It’s the earliest the competition has started in over 20 years.

Pre-season matches are scheduled to begin at the start of February, with the Indigenous All Stars v Maori All Stars clash to take place on the weekend of February 10-12, among other NRL trial games.

The annual Charity Shield contest between the St George Illawarra Dragons and South Sydney Rabbitohs will take place the following weekend.

It’s not known how the early pre-season will affect players coming back late from the World Cup, but the Telegraph reports the NRL have spoken to some senior players, who say they would rather gain fitness through playing than training.

State of Origin is also set for a change, with the interstate fixture set to be played across three consecutive Wednesdays, and the possibility of the 6pm Friday games being moved to Sunday afternoons during Origin weeks to assist with player recovery. This will see an end to the standalone Sunday night fixture.

The clubs will now have a period to submit their response, as well as preferences for home games during the season.

Due to the increased complexity of the new 17-team draw, a finished product is not expected until the end of November.

TheParraboy

Staff member
'27 rounds eh?

Each team plays 24 times and 3 byes

You would love to be playing Dolphins and Tigers twice each (well maybe not us at a packed Commbank on Easter Monday :p)

With the byes thats 14 competition points. Your halfway to the finals really..

Hopefully 2023, when we are introduced every week , we have two words ahead of our name that we havent had for 36 years ....."The Premiers"

hindy111

Post Whore
Season already drags on to long.
We also into 3rd favourites which suprised me as where like 5th or 6th a few days ago

Gronk

Staff member
I dont mind it i could watch footy for 52 weeks a year especially when our team is flying.

I suppose some teams will be done and dusted after 6 weeks and it will be a long 21 weeks after that.
You get my vote to take over from PVL mate. 52 weeks a year, expand squads to 50. Put a lid on CommBank, chuck in a Daikin split system and play through summer. 👍🥰

Hey doesn’t the NBA play on Xmas day ? Let’s do that as well. 😝

Chipmunk

Coach
How is Origin over three straight Wednesdays going to work?
You think there will be three weeks of four games only around Origin.

There will be 51 byes during the season, 3 for each team.

With 27 rounds and 17 teams, there will be 1 bye each week for 24 weeks. You'd think that everyone will get one bye each week during those 24 weeks, with 7 teams that they don't expect to have too many Origin players to get two byes during those 24 weeks.

That leaves 27 byes over the three weeks of Origin, 9 each week, meaning 8 teams will play each week over three weeks, so the same as we do now. You would think that the likely most impacted teams will get two byes in that three weeks, some will be unlucky and only get one, and some like the Warriors and Tigpies probably none or maybe one.

You'd think they won't make as many changes to the teams if it is 3 straight Wednesdays.

That's what I would do anyway.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
The Warriors should be the 6pm on a Friday night every home game for them.

I am glad we play the Storm earlier in the season let's hope we get an easy draw like the Cowboys and Sharks got this year.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Melbourne haven't lost in Round 1 since 2001.

oh well we have broken some on going records in recent years, lets add another one

Beat Canberra last year in Canberra for the first time in yonks

Beat Penrith (away) to stop their record home winning streak of 17 I think?

Beat Storm when they were on their way to a record 20 wins in a row

Jakob Arthur to bag a double for the first time in his illustrious career

Latest posts