What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 off season

Knight Tales

Juniors
As someone who actually watches the juniors but also hates the culture of the club & fans pandering to mediocre local kids, I think I have a pretty balanced perspective on it.

Highly rated juniors fail all the time, the idea of trading one isn't necessarily a bad thing and there's plenty of juniors currently at the club who I wouldn't have blinked at losing. Bradbury was above that line for me, but more specifically trading him for a player I believe would substantially improve our chances of success would be one thing, doing it for a completely unproven depth player who'll be in his 30's mid-way through the deal is shortsighted at best. The rugby 7's backstory is nice for the media to write about but the facts are he's in his late 20's with 7 NRL games to his name, multiple of which haven't even been at fullback, and all of which have been filling in behind a well-coached team rolling up the top of the ladder.

When the rumour first popped up the idea of him being a stopgap for a year was fine with me. Probably wouldn't magically make us a team that matters towards the end of the season but the attack should be more exciting and him combining with Dom & maybe Marzhew on kick returns should create some highlights. The consensus on here seemed to be that he would be keeping the seat warm for Pryce in 2024 or maybe even Hodgson sooner. Giving him a 3-year deal indicates that's not how the current decision makers are viewing it, and I don't know what I'm less excited about; the idea of making this trade for a stopgap depth player or the idea of Miller still being the plan for beyond this season. It doesn't fill me with excitement for our next few years to put it nicely.

Not to mention the club putting itself in the position where they need to make a trade like this a month out from the season. It's awful management no matter how you slice it or how much you believe in Miller.

TL;DR: more of an issue with what we got back than what we traded away
All i know is that after listening Brian McDermott speak i think he has much greater grasp of how to run a side than the current head coach. The root causes of our club rot he could fix.

Burwood

Bench
I think McDermott is well suited to an assistant’s role at the moment. The guy pretty much admitted it himself in the podcast, the differences in professionalism between the NRL and Super League is pretty huge- it’s going to take a few years for him to learn all the ins and outs of coaching at this level.

Yosh

Coach
I think McDermott is well suited to an assistant’s role at the moment. The guy pretty much admitted it himself in the podcast, the differences in professionalism between the NRL and Super League is pretty huge- it’s going to take a few years for him to learn all the ins and outs of coaching at this level.

In name we should keep AOB head coach and McDermott as assistant. If McDermott is worried about professionalism, AOB is top of the list. McDermott can lead the team tactically while AOB makes sure the players are at peak levels. Hopefully, they both play to their strengths and get a great partnership going.

Burwood

Bench
In name we should keep AOB head coach and McDermott as assistant. If McDermott is worried about professionalism, AOB is top of the list. McDermott can lead the team tactically while AOB makes sure the players are at peak levels. Hopefully, they both play to their strengths and get a great partnership going.

Spot on. AOB has his detractors, but he is a product of the two most professional clubs in the NRL. With him and Parr at the top, and then quality assistants below, the club is in good hands.

macavity

Referee
Spot on. AOB has his detractors, but he is a product of the two most professional clubs in the NRL. With him and Parr at the top, and then quality assistants below, the club is in good hands.

If AOB didn't sound drunk and didn't have the rumours swirling around him about being a big head he wouldn't have detractors.

Both are unfair tbh.

If Browny had achieved AOB's record over the past 3 years we would be giving him the keys to the city.

Not saying AOB is the second coming, but yeah.

General Knight

Juniors
Speaking of podcasts just saw parts of the one with Crocker and Hastings and it doesnt seem very promising in terms of our attack this year. Hastings made comments about his role in the team being very easy and simple. He says theyve been told to keep their structures very simple and basic. He also makes note of how its the most simpliest system hes ever been involved in. I didnt hear the rest but seems like we wont be seeing anything different this year to what we have seen in previous seasons - forwards carting it up then give the ball to KP to pull something out. What's even worse is that he confirms they are being coached to keep it that way.

Interesting to also see him make comments about KP being the type to normally just cruise and be too relaxed during games (which is something he says he cant do as much now that hes in the halves) I know as fans we mention it but to hear it coming from a player confirms the fans dont exaggerate it.

Anyways im hoping im proven wrong and we see something different this year but it does seem unlikely.

macavity

Referee
Speaking of podcasts just saw parts of the one with Crocker and Hastings and it doesnt seem very promising in terms of our attack this year. Hastings made comments about his role in the team being very easy and simple. He says theyve been told to keep their structures very simple and basic. He also makes note of how its the most simpliest system hes ever been involved in. I didnt hear the rest but seems like we wont be seeing anything different this year to what we have seen in previous seasons - forwards carting it up then give the ball to KP to pull something out. What's even worse is that he confirms they are being coached to keep it that way.

Interesting to also see him make comments about KP being the type to normally just cruise and be too relaxed during games (which is something he says he cant do as much now that hes in the halves) I know as fans we mention it but to hear it coming from a player confirms the fans dont exaggerate it.

Anyways im hoping im proven wrong and we see something different this year but it does seem unlikely.

simple doesn’t have to mean bad.

we need to win the collisions and contests. We do that we can be simple.

perverse

Referee
If AOB didn't sound drunk and didn't have the rumours swirling around him about being a big head he wouldn't have detractors.

Both are unfair tbh.

If Browny had achieved AOB's record over the past 3 years we would be giving him the keys to the city.

Not saying AOB is the second coming, but yeah.
Browny didn't get the same start that AOB had though. I think any team that plays the atrocious brand of football we "play" will draw significant scrutiny. Browny had us moving in the right direction. All we've done is tailspin since AOB arrived.

Honestly I think I'm so defeated and cynical at this point that we'd have to win 13 straight to start the year to snap me out of it. Knowing us we'd lose the next 13 and bow out week 1 anyway.

Knight Tales

Juniors
No one self destructs under pressure like we do. Has been an issue for over two decades now. Everyone talks about lost cultures and identity etc. but it is simpler than that. The lack of responsibility has been bred into the place. Good luck fixing that now.

macavity

Referee
No one self destructs under pressure like we do. Has been an issue for over two decades now. Everyone talks about lost cultures and identity etc. but it is simpler than that. The lack of responsibility has been bred into the place. Good luck fixing that now.

The "good bloke" fallacy.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The complexity of the game plan is somewhat dictated to by the players you have in your squad. Having a complex attacking game plan works great at a club like the Storm or Roosters where you have key positional players who have all played together for a long time and know each other’s game inside and out. But we don’t have that luxury. A simple game plan is suited to what we have right now. It doesn’t mean there aren’t nuances to it though. Honestly I just hope we get some more offloads into our game, this is still something simple but very effective.

Burwood

Bench
3/4 of our spine are new- keeping it simple is the best thing for our footy at the moment. Simple doesn’t necessarily mean boring either.

Yosh

Coach
There is 'simple' footy and 'stupid' footy. I love simple footy - hit the ball up hard, return the ball from kicks with gusto, get the ball out early to the backs, kick for repeat sets, tackle hard and in numbers, stop their offloading.

The past decade has been stupid footy from the Knights. I would love to see us playing simple footy.

Jono078

Referee
Hahahhahaha that is actually hilarious. Nice to see him called out on.

Got my money on fitzy first try scorer this year

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Daniel Saifiti came out recently and said he was in a comfort zone last year due to signing his long contract. 3 quarters of the way through last year Adam O'brien said that Saifiti had been putting in big time at training etc but was out of form. It's a worry that a player is letting themselves go and cutting corners and the coach says the complete opposite.

Latest posts