What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 off season

mozza91

Coach
He’d be stupid to admit any wrongdoing. There’s no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The amount of butthurt this will cause for Rothfield, Kent and the like is f**king hilarious.

Ponga added that he was not aware that drinking alcohol was not recommended during the recovery phase following a concussion.

:rolleyes:
See that's the part that I find hardest to believe. Apart from it being common sense that you shouldn't drink after a concussion, there's no way that all the doctors he would have seen after all his concussions didn't tell him that at least once...

macavity

Referee
I don’t get why elite sports people would drink at all, at least in season. There is no way you are at peak physical state while drinking alcohol.

But I don’t drink, so I don’t understand the attraction at all.

ryan.a87

Juniors
I don’t get why elite sports people would drink at all, at least in season. There is no way you are at peak physical state while drinking alcohol.

Give any kid under 25 $10k a week+ and watch how much they stuff up

Nuke

Staff member

I'm the same on both things there.

I can't speak on behalf of all clubs across the country or their Leagues to which they play in, but I know my club in WA, Joondalup Giants, in my time as sports trainer, EVERY injury we told the player to stay off the alcohol while recovering. And we said so knowing said player/s would almost definitely be out til 3am that night regardless of our advice! Pretty sure all (most?) WA clubs' trainers also promote the same thing too.

My biggest issue with the Ponga/Mann situation is the lack of shit being given. If the club YOU'RE captain of (why he's captain to begin with is another gripe, but let's save that for another day), is playing and you're injured, then you should be there with them. You should WANT to be there. I can't imagine someone like Chief, who loves the club and lead from the front, doing what Ponga did and staying behind to recover, only to get plastered at the pub while his team was playing interstate.
If I was playing and my captain did that, I'd be pretty pissed off at him. Hell, I'm not even playing and still feel that way.

Burwood

Bench
If I were the NRL, I’d be noting all these times concussed players are out on the drink to protect myself against future lawsuits.

Latest posts