What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maximus

Coach
Flegler hit with with Grade 2.

Haha, the NRL don't give a f**k.

Foxx and Luai can dogshot all game, but an accidental head clash gets a charge.

It's hilarious how many people on here bag the ch9 commentary and then are influenced by them when it suits them. The one angle they showed looks like left shoulder to the head. They never showed an angle from the other side

But the commentators said it was a head clash so it must be true

Exsilium

First Grade
Flegler hit with with Grade 2.

Haha, the NRL don't give a f**k.

Foxx and Luai can dogshot all game, but an accidental head clash gets a charge.

Are you referring to Luai on Walsh? He went for the ball? That was pretty obvious.

Foxx and TPJ had some moments and lets not forget Gilbert who couldn't find anywhere but people's faces to put his elbow and forearm when tackling.

As for Fleggles, there was a reverse angle and you can see his shoulder hits his head. They showed it briefly once and then never showed it again. The issue is that as soon as the penalty is blown for high contact, the ref almost has no choice but to bin the offender. It's not ideal but it's been that way for a while now.

Valheru

Coach
It's an accidental head clash, and a penalty at worst. Especially at Origin level that's a shit decision.

Radley was running around taking heads off mere weeks ago and not even getting so much as a penalty. It's like they change the rules to suit the side they want to see win.

You're OK with dog shotting players on the ground?
Radley got binned for something very similar on ANZAC Day. the ref said the bunker had other angles and to this day we haven't seen them.

mozza91

Coach
Just did a brutal grog bog. The resulting turd had more creativity than Yeo and Cleary combined. Looked better than both of them as well.

yobbo84

First Grade
With about 2 mins of thought, my Game 2 NSW side would be something like:

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Brian To'o
3. Latrell Mitchell
4. Campbell Graham
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Cody Walker
7. Nathan Cleary
8. Junior Paulo
9. Damien Cook
10. Payne Haas
11. Liam Martin
12. Cameron Murray
13. Isaah Yeo

14. Api Koroisau
15. Tyson Frizell
16. Daniel Saifiti
17. Stefano Utoikamanu

Swap Cody Walker for Nico Hynes if that floats your boat.

I would also argue that if Cleary can't produce in Game 2 then Adam Reynolds should be halfback for Game 3.

Last night too many people read my comments about Tedesco as being completely defensive of him, and implying I was saying any criticisms of him were not valid. That is far from the truth. Did he play well? On the whole, no. He made a number of mistakes last night. My point about him not passing to Addo-Carr is that it was not the only bombed try in the first half due to not passing to unmarked support players. Both Frizzell and Crichton did the same things themselves in the first half, not passing to (respectively) Addo-Carr or To'o who were both unmarked and went themselves. Hence the focus from many was just on that one incident, but ignoring the other two, which was just plain silly. All 3 were bonehead decisions.

Tedesco is still playing the same game he has over the last 4-5 years. Problem is that with age he has lost half a step, and also the opposition has cottoned on to what he does. He has not added any new facets to his game, which overall hurts him. Also, yes his form has been down this season. I have not disputed that at all.

Thing is has Tom Turbo been in great form this season either? Like Tedesco, take out his last game prior to the Origin 1 team being selected, and the answer is no. He has been a lot less effective. Both got picked because of past performance in Origin, and off the back of a good individual game the week of selection.

NSW had a number of problems last night. One of them was a lack of effort. I suspect Tedesco was running the ball that much as he was trying to lead by example, as many of the forwards didn't seem to do a lot of work with ball in hand. Also whilst I respect Nathan Cleary as a player, he all but ceased running the ball in the second half. If he wanted the ball he should have demanded it. Fact he didn't is either due to (a) Him not willing to overcall his captain; (b) The coach not backing him; or a combination of both.

There is a lot of blame to go around out of last night's game for NSW. In fact of the 4 spine players last night, the only one who I thought played anywhere near to a better game was Api. The other three either were too passive, or overplayed their hand too much.

Reflector

Juniors
He's the one of your blokes that actually cares. It clearly hurts him. Meanwhile, the rest of your administration just cash their cheques and sleep soundly win, lose or draw.
It's so funny when Joey gets mad after a loss!

> Hey Joey, are you coming to QUEENSLAND for Game 2? Joey LOVES it in QUEENSLAND! HAHAHA!

Meanwhile JT looks like he just sucked a rotten lemon, moping around and claiming NSW were "probably" the better team after putting 40 on Qld, but that's no big deal, because JT is "such a competitor", and Fatty moans about how "we shouldn't even bother playing" the Game 3 if NSW wrap up the series in Game 2, but there's nothing in that because it's just #passion.

mongoose

Coach
Last night too many people read my comments about Tedesco as being completely defensive of him, and implying I was saying any criticisms of him were not valid. That is far from the truth. Did he play well? On the whole, no. He made a number of mistakes last night. My point about him not passing to Addo-Carr is that it was not the only bombed try in the first half due to not passing to unmarked support players. Both Frizzell and Crichton did the same things themselves in the first half, not passing to (respectively) Addo-Carr or To'o who were both unmarked and went themselves. Hence the focus from many was just on that one incident, but ignoring the other two, which was just plain silly. All 3 were bonehead decisions.

Tedesco is still playing the same game he has over the last 4-5 years. Problem is that with age he has lost half a step, and also the opposition has cottoned on to what he does. He has not added any new facets to his game, which overall hurts him. Also, yes his form has been down this season. I have not disputed that at all.

Thing is has Tom Turbo been in great form this season either? Like Tedesco, take out his last game prior to the Origin 1 team being selected, and the answer is no. He has been a lot less effective. Both got picked because of past performance in Origin, and off the back of a good individual game the week of selection.

NSW had a number of problems last night. One of them was a lack of effort. I suspect Tedesco was running the ball that much as he was trying to lead by example, as many of the forwards didn't seem to do a lot of work with ball in hand. Also whilst I respect Nathan Cleary as a player, he all but ceased running the ball in the second half. If he wanted the ball he should have demanded it. Fact he didn't is either due to (a) Him not willing to overcall his captain; (b) The coach not backing him; or a combination of both.

There is a lot of blame to go around out of last night's game for NSW. In fact of the 4 spine players last night, the only one who I thought played anywhere near to a better game was Api. The other three either were too passive, or overplayed their hand too much.
Teddy tried hard in attack but was poor... he was embarrassing in defence though.