What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King-Gutho94

Coach
One polayer who I was surprised at his relatively quiet performance was Isaac Yeo. I read somewhere he only had 12 touches of the ball in the whole game last night.

If that is accurate, it would have blunted any ball skills he has.

OIn a slightly different note, it was very noticeable that many NSW players were not running in support of the ball carrier. Passes were quiet often going to a player standing flat footed more often than not. As a team, they did not have bodies in motion to create any confusion in the defence for the ball players to exploit.
Yeo has been underwhelming last 2 series at origin level.

Murray would be my starting 13 as he is just a machine and the best forward in the game.

This is yet another typical example of Cleary and Luai getting credit for the work of others. Cleary controls the game well and has a good kicking game but the reason Penrith are able to strangle teams out so well is in large part because of their forward pack. Have a look at how dominant they have been in the metres gained this year.

Giving the halves the credit for that (especially Luai) is bullshit IMO.

Also Hynes is hardly some defensive liability that will suddenly cause NSW to start leaking points, that’s just nonsense.

A number of players certainly didn't take the greasy surface into account which is what contributed to a few defensive mistake on both sides.

This is yet another typical example of Cleary and Luai getting credit for the work of others. Cleary controls the game well and has a good kicking game but the reason Penrith are able to strangle teams out so well is in large part because of their forward pack. Have a look at how dominant they have been in the metres gained this year.

Giving the halves the credit for that (especially Luai) is bullshit IMO.

Also Hynes is hardly some defensive liability that will suddenly cause NSW to start leaking points, that’s just nonsense.
It shows a limited understanding to say that what Penrith achieves is because of their forward pack; yes the forwards are amazing how they bash in defence, but they can only do that because of the yards generated by the backs and the kicking games of the halves. Each player has a role. Luai plays his well (like all the other players in the team) and it is no surprise that Penrith has a 85%+ win rate since he came into the team as a starter in 2020.

And maybe it is unfair to consider Hynes a defensive liability. But it is his reputation and last night didn’t improve it (in the same way that Cleary’s reputation is he chokes in SOO).

Pumpkin

Juniors
You can make an argument he isn't even the best fullback in his team anymore.
It would be a huge risk to put Edwards in to replace him at this moment. The problem was our inability to capitalise on the pressure we were putting on their line. Nicho Hynes into 5/8th fixes that problem.

Artiste

Juniors
we won't, we are the worst team in the comp and deserve the spoon
JAC didn’t deserve to be in the team and shouldn’t be there in game 2

the only reason he got picked was because of the way the media carried on last year when he was left out
massive hype..guy did f**k all

dogslife

Coach
I'm just glad I'm not a Qld supporter. I'd be panicking after that performance.

Imagine having a game plan where the opposition is camped on your line for much of the match and they have most of the possession. How you going to stop tries? Oh, we'll just put a couple of fingers under the ball everytime they cross over. Then what? Oh well, we will be behind on the scoreboard with ten minutes to go, but don't worry, we'll score a freaky long range try and have a foreward out leap the best fullback in the game.

Doesn't sound like a winning formula to me. Qld are in a lotta lotta trouble unless they can fix their game.
Then you imagine conceding a try off a clear knock on, and scoring 2 within a 4 minute period a man down, and think... f**k! We've done alright here!

Reflector

Juniors

Imagine having a game plan where the opposition is camped on your line for much of the match and they have most of the possession. How you going to stop tries? Oh, we'll just put a couple of fingers under the ball everytime they cross over. Then what? Oh well, we will be behind on the scoreboard with ten minutes to go, but don't worry, we'll score a freaky long range try and have a foreward out leap the best fullback in the game.

Doesn't sound like a winning formula to me. Qld are in a lotta lotta trouble unless they can fix their game.
Qld right now remind me a bit of NSW 10 years ago (wait and read on Maroons before you @me with rage)-

Qld thrive on a stop-start, disjointed game. If the game gets into a flow then they’re in trouble as NSW can build momentum and then capitalise in the last 25 minutes or so through the speed and power of the backline taking advantage of the tiring Qld pack. Notice that since about 2018 when NSW win, they win decisively.

Similar to how NSW under Bellamy/ Sticky would try to grind Qld down and play spoiler, looking for short bursts to score and interrupt Qld momentum with niggling from Gallen and co to try and throw them off. But if the game got into a flow, Qld could rely on their once in a generation spine and backline to close out games for them.

Problem is (for Qld) we only get one disjointed, stop-start contest per series- if that. And we’ve already had that one last night...

Pumpkin

Juniors
Then you imagine conceding a try off a clear knock on, and scoring 2 within a 4 minute period a man down, and think... f**k! We've done alright here!
You've done alright there but Frizell also probably got the ball down. I'm not complaining, there wasn't sufficient evidence to overrule. At the end of the day fundamentals rule in every area of life and Qld didn't do them well. If that isn't fixed, NSW will win the series.

Pumpkin

Juniors
Qld right now remind me a bit of NSW 10 years ago (wait and read on Maroons before you @me with rage)-

Qld thrive on a stop-start, disjointed game. If the game gets into a flow then they’re in trouble as NSW can build momentum and then capitalise in the last 25 minutes or so through the speed and power of the backline taking advantage of the tiring Qld pack. Notice that since about 2018 when NSW win, they win decisively.

Similar to how NSW under Bellamy/ Sticky would try to grind Qld down and play spoiler, looking for short bursts to score and interrupt Qld momentum with niggling from Gallen and co to try and throw them off. But if the game got into a flow, Qld could rely on their once in a generation spine and backline to close out games for them.

Problem is (for Qld) we only get one disjointed, stop-start contest per series- if that. And we’ve already had that one last night...
Haha...I don't do rage against anyone. I'm sure you have some valid points, and you may well be absolutely right. I think in terms of fundamentals, and NSW did them better than Qld. The only change I'd make is to have Hynes in place of Luai, who has the ability to put players over the line in all that time we spent on their line. They probably won't do that but we will still beat them because our fundamentals are better and Slater knows about it. That's the danger, that sneaky mongrel is going to try to fix it.

Reflector

Juniors
Watching highlights of last night’s game, it occurred to me just how much #spirit, #passion, #neversaydie and #overcomingadversity look like being resourceful with whatever amount of football you have, focusing on getting the basics right and doing those things well. The resemblance is uncanny.

Then against I am just a pea-hearted NSW cockroach

If a Blues player isn’t performing I want them replaced, unlike Qld who pick and stick because they back their own.

I also support players who’ve proven themselves at rep level even if their current NRL season has been average, because I embody that nepotism and selfishness that characterises NSW Origin, unlike the Maroons who understand that Queensland pride is more important than any one player seeking glory for themselves and standing a player down is a worthy sacrifice for that Maroon jersey.

If NSW play poorly, I have a whinge and sook about like Joey at the end and blame things, unlike Qld who revel when faced with adversity.

I don’t go after the rats and filth like Mal or feel personally devastated by Origin results the way JT does because I don’t have that kind of passion for Origin like Qld does.

I kept watching Origin for 8 years despite not seeing NSW win a series because (like the team and NSW fans) I see Origin as just another game of football and Origin doesn’t mean to us what it does for every Queenslander.

I didn’t think Origin was done as a concept or in danger of being on life support because to me, Origin is about which state has the best available players in a given series and not a statement about my worth as a person and in relation to those other people over a line in the dirt.

I just don’t get it because I am from NSW.

Qlder = get Origin and have passion = sexy mane on Rueben Cotter the walking wet dream.

NSWman = no passion and don’t get Origin = Sterlo tripping on his own feet that time I walked past him at the mall = bald hobbit.

Chimp

Bench
Its interesting but I think with 10mins to go the Penrith halves would have been feeling very comfortable (as a Panther fan I know I was); they had got their team to 18 points and were dominating field position. The whole game we had dominated field position which for the Panther halves that is the key KPI for winning games.

I’m not saying they couldn’t improve. The most disappointing aspect for the Penrith halves last night will have been their missed tackles in the lead up to the Cobbo and Hammer (last) tries. I also do think that they could be more adventurous in Cleary’s short kicking game around the line (the ‘22 finals series shows he has a great short kicking game which he can bring out in big, tight games) and seeing Luai swing to the right (which is going to be even more important in the second game if we, as we should, select Teddy again for Brisbane).

But the Panthers are a team built on strangulation rather than brilliance. If we want a game when one team scores 30 and the other one score 32 and it is a role of the dice who wins, then a Hynes/Walker halves pairing is the way to go. But if you want to dominate field position and tilt the odds in your favour, then Cleary and Luai is the obvious (yet maybe slightly frustrating) choice.
QLD were behind on the scoresheet and down to 12 men, had no wingers, Hunt and Fifita in the outside backs.
If those aren’t the perfect conditions for a pair of halves to ice the game with a fairly basic attacking structure and kicking game, I don’t know what is. Cleary shat the bed and provided ZERO creativity, ZERO variation and did nothing to target the QLD weaknesses. His game (and that of the team) was no different to when they were 10 behind. He turned into Chad Townsend - avoid taking the line on, throw the ball to anyone rather than taking contact, and put up a shite bomb that neither has the height or swerve to cause any issues.
The halves were horrendous, and their ‘spine’ play with Teddy, Api and Yeo looked disfunctional.

QLD were behind on the scoresheet and down to 12 men, had no wingers, Hunt and Fifita in the outside backs.
If those aren’t the perfect conditions for a pair of halves to ice the game with a fairly basic attacking structure and kicking game, I don’t know what is. Cleary shat the bed and provided ZERO creativity, ZERO variation and did nothing to target the QLD weaknesses.

Scoring points when dominant has been an issue for Penrith all year this year, and it was with SOO last night. At club level many on the Penrith forum have suggested losing Api is the challenge, and while there is a drop in class from an Api/Kenny rotation to a Kenny/Luke rotation, the evidence of Wednesday suggests there is more to it than that. While Cleary (and more latterly Luai) have had big moments and good games this year, they are well behind where they finished the season last year. For Penrith fans there is the hope that they can build up their form over time to be peaking for finals, obviously Blues fans don’t have the luxury of the patient approach.

However, to look at the last 10 minutes of the origin the other night and paint it as some massive failing in the part of the Penrith halves is disingenuous. This is what happened in the last 13 minutes:
- Luai try assist to Crichton of Cleary’s best kick of the night. Cleary hit the wide-ish conversion to put us in front.
- second tackle off the kick-off Flegler is sent to the bin and Turbo subbed for Nicho.
- NSW March down to the 20 and Luai kicks to the in-goal, trapping QLD
- QLD get the short drop-out.
- Crichton penalised for a great legs tackle on Walsh for holding on for a quarter of the time it takes the average 4 person tackle to untangle itself
- off the following six QLD is held out, including the Hynes/Fox tackle on Tualagi where he tombstones himself on the ground. NSW field the kick a few metres out from their line.
- NSW March up field and Cleary kicks from the 50. Lands on the 10 metre line with QLD tackled within the 20.
- Game is stopped for Tualagi to go off for HIA.
- Fourth tackle is QLD inside the 50. Cleary and then Nicho fail to stop Munster who puts away thr Hammer for the try. Tackle Munster and they are kicking from inside their 40.
-with QLD now ahead, QLD recover the short kick-off. March down the field and DCE’s bomb is taken by Collins, who passes to Munster for the sealing try.

When the game was there to be won the halves put the team in a position to win. That the team didn’t wasn’t solely down to the halves.

Chimp

Bench
Scoring points when dominant has been an issue for Penrith all year this year, and it was with SOO last night. At club level many on the Penrith forum have suggested losing Api is the challenge, and while there is a drop in class from an Api/Kenny rotation to a Kenny/Luke rotation, the evidence of Wednesday suggests there is more to it than that. While Cleary (and more latterly Luai) have had big moments and good games this year, they are well behind where they finished the season last year. For Penrith fans there is the hope that they can build up their form over time to be peaking for finals, obviously Blues fans don’t have the luxury of the patient approach.

However, to look at the last 10 minutes of the origin the other night and paint it as some massive failing in the part of the Penrith halves is disingenuous. This is what happened in the last 13 minutes:
- Luai try assist to Crichton of Cleary’s best kick of the night. Cleary hit the wide-ish conversion to put us in front.
- second tackle off the kick-off Flegler is sent to the bin and Turbo subbed for Nicho.
- NSW March down to the 20 and Luai kicks to the in-goal, trapping QLD
- QLD get the short drop-out.
- Crichton penalised for a great legs tackle on Walsh for holding on for a quarter of the time it takes the average 4 person tackle to untangle itself
- off the following six QLD is held out, including the Hynes/Fox tackle on Tualagi where he tombstones himself on the ground. NSW field the kick a few metres out from their line.
- NSW March up field and Cleary kicks from the 50. Lands on the 10 metre line with QLD tackled within the 20.
- Game is stopped for Tualagi to go off for HIA.
- Fourth tackle is QLD inside the 50. Cleary and then Nicho fail to stop Munster who puts away thr Hammer for the try. Tackle Munster and they are kicking from inside their 40.
-with QLD now ahead, QLD recover the short kick-off. March down the field and DCE’s bomb is taken by Collins, who passes to Munster for the sealing try.

When the game was there to be won the halves put the team in a position to win. That the team didn’t wasn’t solely down to the halves.
It’s never solely down to anybody, so absolutely agree there, and I lay more of the blame at Freddie’s door with shit bench rotation, shit squad selection and a lack of ‘in-game’ adjustment - there was no plan b.
The spine didn’t fire all night, they were clunky as hell and didn’t adapt to QLD rushing defensive tactic. A half of Cleary’s standing should have seen what was happening and altered the approach.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Dog Exercise GIF

Lebbo73

Bench
I defended Teddy last year when he copped shit for his origin games but yeah tonight he stunk. Teddy still thinks he has the running game he had in 2015-19. He needs to evolve like Slater did later in his career. Hard to believe he’s only 30, he plays like he’s about 35 now
The head knocks have cruelled him unfortunately.

Latest posts