What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin I - Wed 31 May - NSW 18-26 QLD @ Adelaide

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • Queensland

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I defended Teddy last year when he copped shit for his origin games but yeah tonight he stunk. Teddy still thinks he has the running game he had in 2015-19. He needs to evolve like Slater did later in his career. Hard to believe he’s only 30, he plays like he’s about 35 now
His problem is when he gets the ball his first instinct is to run it and look for a gap. Ultimately this comes at a cost to his outside men. By the time he notices there is something on out wide and passes the chance has gone. During the Wrestlemania era this was okay because he would generally find a gap or two every game with his speed and strength however in the Vlandys ball era he bombs several chances a game and qld have him figured out so he rarely finds space on the inside.

The second last try should never have been scored as it much of iut was down to a poor defensive set up. Now admittedly you had Hynes at right centre, a position which he has not played previously (as far as I know), but both he and JAC were in a compressed defensive line. They left some 10-15 metres outside of JAC to the touchline, and Qld had a player outside of JAC. I mean when Qld were down to 12 players, how the hell do you allow that kind of thing to happen?

They should not have been playing a compressed, slide defence, but numbered up man on man and played more up and in. That is on the team and the coaching staff.

mozza91

Coach
Slater is getting some massive kudos and I’m not saying he’s can’t coach, obviously he’s done a good job and put together a good coaching staff.

But he’s coming up against a total space cadet like Freddy who’s more interested in playing Kumbaya on his ukulele barefoot than putting together a proper game plan. Combine that with a bunch of out of form players and proven rep failures it’s hardly surprising Queensland won.

Fair play to Slater he’s done well but I don’t think he’s a SuperCoach just yet.

johns_reds

First Grade
Scoring points when dominant has been an issue for Penrith all year this year, and it was with SOO last night. At club level many on the Penrith forum have suggested losing Api is the challenge, and while there is a drop in class from an Api/Kenny rotation to a Kenny/Luke rotation, the evidence of Wednesday suggests there is more to it than that. While Cleary (and more latterly Luai) have had big moments and good games this year, they are well behind where they finished the season last year. For Penrith fans there is the hope that they can build up their form over time to be peaking for finals, obviously Blues fans don’t have the luxury of the patient approach.

However, to look at the last 10 minutes of the origin the other night and paint it as some massive failing in the part of the Penrith halves is disingenuous. This is what happened in the last 13 minutes:
- Luai try assist to Crichton of Cleary’s best kick of the night. Cleary hit the wide-ish conversion to put us in front.
- second tackle off the kick-off Flegler is sent to the bin and Turbo subbed for Nicho.
- NSW March down to the 20 and Luai kicks to the in-goal, trapping QLD
- QLD get the short drop-out.
- Crichton penalised for a great legs tackle on Walsh for holding on for a quarter of the time it takes the average 4 person tackle to untangle itself
- off the following six QLD is held out, including the Hynes/Fox tackle on Tualagi where he tombstones himself on the ground. NSW field the kick a few metres out from their line.
- NSW March up field and Cleary kicks from the 50. Lands on the 10 metre line with QLD tackled within the 20.
- Game is stopped for Tualagi to go off for HIA.
- Fourth tackle is QLD inside the 50. Cleary and then Nicho fail to stop Munster who puts away thr Hammer for the try. Tackle Munster and they are kicking from inside their 40.
-with QLD now ahead, QLD recover the short kick-off. March down the field and DCE’s bomb is taken by Collins, who passes to Munster for the sealing try.

When the game was there to be won the halves put the team in a position to win. That the team didn’t wasn’t solely down to the halves.
- Failed to mention that Cobbo went off HIA on the 67th minute, Ben Hunt to Centre
- From the 72nd minute QLD had Ben Hunt and Fifita at center and down to 12 men
- After Tabui-Fidow try, at the kick off Cleary kicked it to the 30m line on the short kick off, That is a terrible kick when trying to give your team a chance to get the ball back
- After the Munster try, at the kick off again Cleary kicks it to the 30m line on the short kick off giving his team little chance to get the ball back
- 78th minute, when the game is almost gone they finally spread it wide and Critchon throws it over the sideline

The last 10mins game management was absolute shit house, During the time QLD had Hunt/Fifita at centre I only saw NSW throw it wide once, that is bad game management by the HALFBACK and he cost them the game

- Failed to mention that Cobbo went off HIA on the 67th minute, Ben Hunt to Centre
- From the 72nd minute QLD had Ben Hunt and Fifita at center and down to 12 men
- After Tabui-Fidow try, at the kick off Cleary kicked it to the 30m line on the short kick off, That is a terrible kick when trying to give your team a chance to get the ball back
- After the Munster try, at the kick off again Cleary kicks it to the 30m line on the short kick off giving his team little chance to get the ball back
- 78th minute, when the game is almost gone they finally spread it wide and Critchon throws it over the sideline

The last 10mins game management was absolute shit house, During the time QLD had Hunt/Fifita at centre I only saw NSW throw it wide once, that is bad game management by the HALFBACK and he cost them the game
We can argue that the kicks went too deep. Maybe? NSW had first grab at both. How far did the QLD drop-out go that was reclaimed (genuine question, don’t know).

You can only game manage though if you have the ball. In the 10mins Flegler was off, NSW had it twice (at both times they were still in front) resulting in a line-drop out and a 90 yard gain and placing a 10 man team needing to go 80+ metres to score in 5 tackles. That is good game management.

I don't agree with bagging Teddy. I thought he had a solid game. He makes incisive runs , making good yardage. There were a few occasions he was on the wrong end of, but that could happen to anyone.
I agree with this. Teddy has played the same way for his entire career, but he is slowing down and not as effective. But selecting him, playing that game plan and then expecting differently is on the coach.

Realistically he is selected for Origin Two; I would like to see him play exclusively inside the ball players so his role is to take the inside ball and run at the centre third of the field, and support the big fellas when they take a hit up ready to take the short ball.

Pumpkin

Juniors
I agree with this. Teddy has played the same way for his entire career, but he is slowing down and not as effective. But selecting him, playing that game plan and then expecting differently is on the coach.

Realistically he is selected for Origin Two; I would like to see him play exclusively inside the ball players so his role is to take the inside ball and run at the centre third of the field, and support the big fellas when they take a hit up ready to take the short ball.
It becomes a bit of a popularity contest I believe. People don't seem to like Teddy, so they find reasons to bag him.

Nicho Hynes, who people do like, missed a crucial tackle at the end there, and noone's really bagging him. If that was Teddy, they'd probably be calling for his crucifixion.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
It becomes a bit of a popularity contest I believe. People don't seem to like Teddy, so they find reasons to bag him.

Nicho Hynes, who people do like, missed a crucial tackle at the end there, and noone's really bagging him. If that was Teddy, they'd probably be calling for his crucifixion.
Well Teddy is a racist piece of shit.....

johns_reds

First Grade

I think you’ll find Cleary missed it first, then Hynes, Then the rest is history

isaiah

Bench
His problem is when he gets the ball his first instinct is to run it and look for a gap. Ultimately this comes at a cost to his outside men. By the time he notices there is something on out wide and passes the chance has gone. During the Wrestlemania era this was okay because he would generally find a gap or two every game with his speed and strength however in the Vlandys ball era he bombs several chances a game and qld have him figured out so he rarely finds space on the inside.
To be fair, even in round 1 v Dolphins, Teddy was in poor form.

I think you’ll find Cleary missed it first, then Hynes, Then the rest is history
Cleary’s first contact didn’t wrap him up (which is a Panther defensive ploy; they miss a lot of tackles on the edge where the idea is to make decent first contact to stop forward momentum).

Nicho is standing too close to Nathan. This is what Nicho has been trained to do; halves defend quite close to their inside edge forwards. He gets pushed away from.

I’ve heard people have a go at Teddy for slipping over. Realistically not a lot he can do in that situation and not his fault.

The one that really p!sses me off was the Fox. He’s ‘The fastest man in league’ (or so we hear over and over again) and he should have either chased the Hammer down (who admittedly isn’t a slouch but was holding the ball) or at least put himself between the Hammer and his support on the inside. Instead he dived early trying for the low percentage angle tap and takes himself out of the play.

I think equal blame for Cleary, Hynes and Fox.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Why didn’t genius Freddy activate the 18th man when Turbo was murdered and the fat prick was binned for foul play.

Burton in the centres, and Hynes on acting as a second fullback/fe against a stretched defensive line would’ve been better than Hynes to centre where he’s never played before.