What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
NRL and Senior Pathways Squads and Coaching Structure Taking Shape for 2023: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...and-coaching-structure-taking-shape-for-2023/

All confirmed, all officially set in place. Very exciting stuff!!

We all know how big the addition of Sam is, he's probably our buy of the year. But the addition of Andrew Croll as the High Performance manager is big too. He seems very accomplished.

I like the sound of what they're doing with the Pathways squads and with O'Callaghan at the helm of the NSW Cup side, hopefully they can have a much better 2023.

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

Jason Demetriou reflects on first Season as Rabbitohs head coach

Jason Demetriou has reflected on his first season as head coach of the Rabbitohs, revealing the major call that turned their 2022 campaign around.

South Sydney had an up-and-down year, struggling in the first-half of the year with the absence of Latrell Mitchell and looking like a side that could miss out on the finals for the first time since 2017.

But after a shocking loss to the Dragons in mid-June, the alarm bells began to sound and Souths managed to turn things around, winning seven of their final 10 games.

Speaking on The Bye Round podcast, Demetriou admitted the final stages of their prelim final loss to Penrith was disappointing, but reflected on an overall positive first year in charge.

“I thought the back-end of the year was a great way to finish," he said.

"I'm disappointed in the second 40 minutes against Penrith and I’ve spent a fair bit of time reflecting on that and how we can improve.

“I’ve learned that I cope pretty well under pressure, and I don’t put my feelings or anxieties when I’m under the pump onto the playing group.

"I felt like I handled that pretty well and I felt like that was important, because they were feeling enough pressure and they didn’t need to feel mine.

"To be able to compartmentalise that and turn up every day with a positive outlook [was important]. I was able to bring the players on that journey of a player-driven culture and said ‘you guys need to take ownership of this’ and I feel like they did that really well.

"As a club, the other thing we learned was trust is so important inside your four walls. No matter the external noise is, if we trust in what we do and work hard and do whatever it takes for that 80 minutes and our prep, we know we are a good footy side."

Many players had breakout years for the Bunnies, with the likes of Campbell Graham and Keaon Koloamatangi earning rep honours after the NRL season.

Lachlan Ilias was also a standout in the back-end of the year as he looks to secure the starting halfback spot long-term, finishing with 12 try assists and 16 forced dropouts.

But one moment against St George Illawarra left plenty of supporters and experts concerned about his future at the club, with the playmaker hooked before half-time in the 32-12 defeat.

Demetriou explained the massive decision to bench his No.7 and the events that followed, which saw the rookie coach cop plenty of criticism.

“I understand the reaction and I knew the minute I said I wanted to take Lachy off, I knew what was coming," he said.

"I will stand by it – it was the right decision to make. He was struggling and he had a glassy look in his eye. With young blokes, when things aren’t going their way, they are like a deer in headlights and they haven’t got the experience or capability to come through that yet.

"It was 30-nil at the time and he had been involved in the last two tries – if I leave him out there and we get beaten by 60, how am I going to play him next week? I knew what was coming and I knew how I was going to handle it as well – if I had dropped him to reserve grade, that would have caused more problems.

“I had spoken to Lachy twice in that last four weeks, because I felt like he had lost his motivation to prove people that he could handle it, he was getting a bit comfortable, and he was starting to look a bit fatigued.

“I didn’t mind it, because I copped it and it took pressure off him. We lost on a Thursday night and we had a bye round the next week, so it was 10-12 days until we had contact with the whole team again.

"I found out through that week where he was in practicing his kicking, doing little things. He was really honest and said ‘you told me I need to be better’ and so it was about getting him back out there and getting him going.

"I thought he was outstanding at the back-end of the year and he will be better for it."

After the rookie halfback was benched, South Sydney would turn their season around and eventually go down in the prelim final to premiers Penrith.

Demetriou believes the way the Rabbitohs managed to finish the season, as well as their settled roster, places them in a good spot to challenge for the title again next yea.

"It’s set us up nicely for 2023 and I’ve been doing a bit of PD [personal development] on my own and a bit of reflection and areas we want to improve," he said.

“As soon as the last game finishes, you are thinking about next season already. By the time the last game comes, you know the areas where you think you can improve and how you can improve the squad.

"The exciting thing for us is that we did that internally, I think the emergence of Isaiah Tass and Izaac Thompson and Shaq Mitchell that have come into our top 30.

"We won’t have any new players come in externally from anywhere, so that’s a real positive for us going forward."

handyman2190

Bench
The weaker teams get stronger,2 years in a row we stay the same,no recruitment,no replacing departed players no significant poaching of youngsters, this will catch up to us and again i dont get it, a winger, a prop something other than from within, great gives our players a chance, but all teams need new blood

Thumper

Juniors
The weaker teams get stronger,2 years in a row we stay the same,no recruitment,no replacing departed players no significant poaching of youngsters, this will catch up to us and again i dont get it, a winger, a prop something other than from within, great gives our players a chance, but all teams need new blood
Souths have the best finisher in the league on one wing and Izzac Thompson on the other wing, the kid has huge potential if he can control his ball handling.\\

they also have one of if not the best prop rotation in the league.

Tatola would have played for Australia If he was eligible, Tom had a great finish to the year, Sele could be anything if he stays on the field, Saliva was awesome as well.

souths have the best back row in the comp, and one of the top 3 spins behind roosters and storm.

They have some great young kids coming through.

whats not to get??

handyman2190

Bench
Souths have the best finisher in the league on one wing and Izzac Thompson on the other wing, the kid has huge potential if he can control his ball handling.\\

they also have one of if not the best prop rotation in the league.

Tatola would have played for Australia If he was eligible, Tom had a great finish to the year, Sele could be anything if he stays on the field, Saliva was awesome as well.

souths have the best back row in the comp, and one of the top 3 spins behind roosters and storm.

They have some great young kids coming through.

whats not to get??
Thanks for your reply, here are my thoughts, thompson seems a little slow and because of the length of time he was out of the game and extreme weight loss looked underdone,who knows with a full pre season,ill wait and see, props, we need at least 1,we lost the goat who goes forward and not replaced him,you mention sele,if he wasnt so injury prone id have more faith,even then he really isnt a front rower.
How come all i hear are other teams unearthing GUNs, and we sit on our arses doing nothing, our depth is crap,our nsw team is a preverbial bottom dwellar. All teams in my opinion need some fresh blood, this we are cap stretched dosent sit with me.
Cookie was on reportedly 875 if he has been resigned for more than 500 then we are f**ked, his money saved should of helped pay latrell, cody should stay on his 700. So i dont see the problem with resigning them.
Tas showed promise but id still be after tesi nui, the team can always do with a better player and ok lets leave first grade, i never see us pinching a highly rated junior. We are inactive, ive said it many times we need a dedicated recruiter/ cap manager, i miss Richo, bring him back, all the nrl has done is dilute the gene pool adding another team and maybe another,what a joke

Thumper

Juniors
Thanks for your reply, here are my thoughts, thompson seems a little slow and because of the length of time he was out of the game and extreme weight loss looked underdone,who knows with a full pre season,ill wait and see, props, we need at least 1,we lost the goat who goes forward and not replaced him,you mention sele,if he wasnt so injury prone id have more faith,even then he really isnt a front rower.
How come all i hear are other teams unearthing GUNs, and we sit on our arses doing nothing, our depth is crap,our nsw team is a preverbial bottom dwellar. All teams in my opinion need some fresh blood, this we are cap stretched dosent sit with me.
Cookie was on reportedly 875 if he has been resigned for more than 500 then we are f**ked, his money saved should of helped pay latrell, cody should stay on his 700. So i dont see the problem with resigning them.
Tas showed promise but id still be after tesi nui, the team can always do with a better player and ok lets leave first grade, i never see us pinching a highly rated junior. We are inactive, ive said it many times we need a dedicated recruiter/ cap manager, i miss Richo, bring him back, all the nrl has done is dilute the gene pool adding another team and maybe another,what a joke
juniors coming though souths have both captains from qld and new schoolboys sides, 2 others in the Australian schoolboys side. They have karapani back to fitness moale another year older. id say there juniors coming through would be GUNS.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
My brother in law is a teacher there. Jye gray was at Southport school too. He dominated gps this year. Be good to see him develop and fill out also.
Yep, big wraps on Jye Gray also !

Who would have thought - Souths signing star players from the Brisbane GPS system….

callmack1

Staff member
He's a 5/8. Not a very big kid.
swapped between fullback and inside centre in union.
reece Walsh type of player.
Could thanks mate!

So you rate him?

A chance of bring Cody's successor in years to come once he retires?

YouKnowImRight

Juniors

your reasoning is crazy & based solely on you wanting to see fresh players, it’s the old endorphin effect again

Stability is what wins you games & comps, this is the best lead up we’ve had since 2014, why buy players when you don’t need to?

As for not bringing young players in? We’ve signed plenty, the black rabbit situation is looking great, you didn’t even know who Jye Gray is, yet you’re making silly comments about recruitment 😂😂😂

Last edited:

YouKnowImRight

Juniors
I believe that’s what he got signed as to be groomed and developed to take the 6 jersey

Yep, the club wanted, especially JD, a young running half to follow Walker & this bloke looks special, he’s a real winner, everything he plays in he wins

Latest posts