What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Eric the great

Juniors
Good article it pretty well sums up the media and the attacks we have been copping Stuart comes out last night and shot Kent rothfield and the worst commentator on tv the very bias ex rooster down by saying all the commentary about wighton going to souths is bullshit he just wanted and needs a change

callmack1

Staff member
'I felt for Jack' - Stuart 'pissed off' by Wighton move, says NRL contracting system is 'flawed': https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/361fbc32de771a7c4229cd049d6c3692

Joey reveals overlooked factor in Wighton saga: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...reaction/4a06d993-4743-4f36-8082-eee42f1f5a9f

Rabbitohs question brings Wighton to tears: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...dolphins/dcf609ce-d453-48c7-bec2-65b2f8b10521

Two clubs locked in for blockbuster Las Vegas venture: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...as-vegas/3f33d12a-7afa-4baf-b16d-a8b17e633435

Looks like we'll be going to Vegas next year!

callmack1

Staff member
The document that shows why NRL will approve Souths' Wighton deal: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...rove-souths-wighton-deal-20230430-p5d4ew.html

From Zero Tackle,

Matty Johns delivers opinion on Wighton's position at Souths

As Rabbitohs fans countdown for the arrival of Jack Wighton, Matthew Johns has delivered his opinion on what position he sees the Raider playing next season.

Currently playing in the five-eighth position with the Raiders, it is predicted that Wighton will take one of the centre spots next year alongside Campbell Graham.

However, speaking on SEN 1170 Morning Glory, Matthew Johns believes he is better used in the middle of the field than in the centres.

"At this point in his career, I see him operating in the middle of the field," Johns said on SEN 1170 Morning Glory.

"I don't see him as a centre."

Whilst on the subject of Jack Wighton, Johns discussed why he took a pay cut to join Souths rather than accept more money at either the Raiders or Dolphins.

"Purely from a money point of view, (there's) a lot of people saying, ‘Why would you leave your hometown club (that) you've been at for a long time, to another club and take a pay cut'," Johns continued.

"For any other club, I agree with that, in my opinion, South Sydney is different, I think there is incredible prestige to play for South Sydney."

“The moment that he said, ‘I'm going on the (open) market and test (his value)', I went, ‘I reckon I know where he was going to go'."

Jack Wighton will join the South Sydney Rabbitohs on November 1 this year.

southsport

First Grade
smh.ico
The Sydney Morning Herald – 30 Apr 23
3ecfcd74e437c5175b16d109987953238400f944

The document that shows why NRL will approve Souths’ Wighton deal 12

The NRL’s 2022 salary cap benchmarking document shows the average salary of a top five centre last year was $614,680. The Rabbitohs have signed Wighton for $800,000.

Thumper

Juniors
smh.ico
The Sydney Morning Herald – 30 Apr 23
3ecfcd74e437c5175b16d109987953238400f944

The document that shows why NRL will approve Souths’ Wighton deal 12

The NRL’s 2022 salary cap benchmarking document shows the average salary of a top five centre last year was $614,680. The Rabbitohs have signed Wighton for $800,000.
Ur comparing 2022 salary of the average centre to a guy who was the Australian centre for the World Cup who’s not playing for South’s until 2024.
not sure what your trying to say in your statement.

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

NRL clarify kick pressure penalties after Round 9 controversy

The NRL have moved to clarify their position on defenders placing pressure on kickers after a pair of penalties created controversy over the course of Round 9.

In what has been just one of many seeming crackdowns from the NRL and their match officials this year, pressure on kickers has been scrutinised to a higher level than ever before, coming to a head over the weekend when Nicho Hynes received a penalty for an almost simultaneous tackle by second-rower Coen Hess during the Cronulla Sharks' win over the North Queensland Cowboys.

That came just 48 hours before Sean Keppie was penalised for a push on Tanah Boyd where little to no contact appeared to be made during the Manly Sea Eagles' loss to the Gold Coast Titans at Brookvale.

Speaking at his weekly footy briefing, the NRL's head of football Graham Annesley referenced a memo from July 2021 which referenced four key areas referees should be looking for in relation to penalising defenders hitting kickers after the ball had left the boot.

"There has been a view expressed that the NRL and the referees have gone overboard with the protection of kickers, and this goes right back to a directive that came from the [ARL] commission," Annesley said.

"You can see this is from July 2021, and it talks about protecting kickers. There are a few key points to come out of this which I've tried to summarise in terms of what do we mean when we talk about protecting kickers?

"What it really comes down to is there are four things the referees are really looking for.

"One is whether it's late or not, and contact with kickers after the ball has been kicked won't always be deemed to be late, the second one is high obviously, if there is contact with the head or neck, everyone knows that contact with the head or neck is a no-no these days, so that's another factor they look for.

"The danger of the contact. Is there an unacceptable risk of injury as a result of that contact, and the final point, which was largely the focus of the memo [from July, 2021] that I just referred to was this issue of vulnerability. That's where one or both feet are off the ground, or a player is off balance."

Speaking specifically to the two examples on the weekend just gone, Annesley explained that both had to be penalised given where they fell under the memo, siding with the match officials who had made the decisions.

"[In the Hess on Hynes example] everyone talks about "that's not late, he's already committed to the tackle", but again, think about the four factors. It's obviously not high in this case, but have a look at the risk of injury, but also the vulnerability. Hynes has both point off the ground [when Hess makes contact]. It's around the waist, but he is off balance and he lands heavily on the ground," Annesley said, explaining the penalty on Hess.

Annesley revealed the Keppie penalty for his push on Tanah Boyd after the ball had left the boot garnered more attention and criticism, however, suggested the push wasn't necessary, and could have left Boyd staring at a number of different injuries if he didn't land as safely as he ultimately did.

"This one [Keppie on Boyd] did receive a fair amount of criticism. What we saw in real time was a push. From a rear angle, I'm the first to admit there isn't a lot in the push, but is the push even necessary?" Annesley said.

"Again, he [Boyd] is a foot off the ground at this point where the push takes place. He lands on one leg, off balance because he has been pushed, he then falls to ground, and there is a whiplash effect as he hits the ground.

"The impact of a player who is off the ground, both feet off the ground, pushed, has no ability to recover from that, no one knows what the outcome of that tackle is going to be. How he is going to land. Whether he is going to land badly on an ankle, injure a knee, hit their head on the ground. Again, it's all of those factors that the match officials are looking for."

Annesley said the perceived crackdown on pressure against kickers was not the NRL overreacting.

"There is a difference [between a safe hit and a dangerous one]. It's not the referees being pedantic, it's not the NRL overreacting. When a player is off the ground and put on the ground from that position of being vulnerable in mid air, everyone loses control of the outcome, and it's too late after a player lands awkwardly on his head, after he lands awkwardly on his ankle, and does ligament damage or breaks an ankle, or does an achilles or a knee. You name it, anything that can happen when you fall on the ground awkwardly," Annesley said.

"That's what it's about. It's about trying to protect players. Let's face it. One of the tactics in trying to take kickers out without high contact or overly vigorous contact is to make sure that the kicker can't chase. To make sure that they can't put players in front of them onside and it's just not necessary. It's unnecessary. You can still apply kick pressure without the risk of injury, and that's what we are trying to prevent."

RE Wighton

Anyone remember 1996?
Height of Super League? Players getting signed up to leave. Results not so good, struggling on and off the field?
Our best player and half back Craig Field signs to powerhouse Manly-Warringah after they swoop on in.
No one cared about us then. I don’t care we’ve signed him now.

southsport

First Grade
RE Wighton

Anyone remember 1996?
Height of Super League? Players getting signed up to leave. Results not so good, struggling on and off the field?
Our best player and half back Craig Field signs to powerhouse Manly-Warringah after they swoop on in.
No one cared about us then. I don’t care we’ve signed him now.
Exactly, no one ever cared about souths players being poached.

Latest posts