What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 3 - Roosters vs Rabbitohs: Friday 17th March 8pm @Allianz Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Hate. It's a word that's thrown around pretty loosely these days. "I hate this," "I hate that." I think everyone uses it without really thinking about it. But you know what, when I say I hate the Roosters, when we say we hate the Roosters, that's not using the word loosely. We haven't just said it and not really thought about it. It's exactly the way I feel about them and I'm sure I speak for all Souths fans when I say that. It's an intense, burning hatred for these pricks from Bondi. In fact, I don't even know if it's a strong enough word to describe how we feel about them.

That's right, this week, another chapter gets written into the Book of Feuds. The rivalry resumes and the hate comes to the surface as we take on our arch-rivals, the Roosters, on Friday night at Allianz. The two oldest clubs in the League, there's 115 years of pure hatred in this one. I don't even know how to describe it. How do you describe it? It's impossible. Probably one of the best ways to describe it would be sin bin Sunday last year, that pretty much sums up how our two clubs feel about each other. I'm sure that will continue this week and there'll be nothing short of fireworks.

I'm expecting a pretty pumped Roosters side on Friday night. They always get up for the rivalry, as do we. However, in previous years, there's no doubt they've taken it too far, so I think they'll be extremely pumped but maybe a bit more measured. Surely, they've learnt their lesson by now. Mind you, it is the Chooks we're talking out. They've started the year a little slow and I think they are looking a little vulnerable but to be fair, they generally do start slow. hate to say it but I do believe they have one of the better rosters in the comp so no doubt they will click at some stage, just hopefully not this week. They've got plenty of strike everywhere you look, and we need to be on watch for all of them. Tedesco, Suaalii, Manu, Keary, Walker, Smith, Radley, the list goes on. It's certainly going to be one hell of a battle.

We'll need to go to another level from last week if we want to get one over the scum. I see np reason why we wouldn't get ourselves up for this one. We always do and seem to find a good balance of being emotional and fired up with who you're playing, but not letting the fury cloud our Footy. Hopefully that is the case this year again. Playing the Roosters is never 'just another game' but you do need to find that balance and not over-do it. We'll get a couple of huge boosts this week as Tatola, Sele and Host are set to return. I think Arrow is a slight chance too. They'll be some huge ins! Perfect timing too. With those guys back, I'm confident we have the edge in the forwards, but I do concede their backline is probably better on paper so our defence has to be sharp all game, even better than last week. Gotta complete better too, way better. This is the game where I really want to see Trell stand up and be dominant. No excuse not to.

So, strap yourself in folks as the rivalry resumes for 2023! Enjoy the buildup during the week, it should be a cracker!! Let's dance!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Will be a good game. Easts are missing a few players and usually start pretty slow but they'll be up for this game.

Latrell copped a fair bit of abuse at Allianz in round 25 last year so it will be interesting to see how he backs up from last round.

I want to see us keep our defence up. It's been really solid the past two weeks only conceding a few through defensive errors. Im not even worried about our attack because i know we can put on points.

I like the way this team is going with JD as coach.

callmack1

Staff member
Welcome to NRL Multicultural Round 2023!: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/03/10/welcome-to-nrl-multicultural-round-2023/

Alex Johnston sings the praises of Isaiah Tass: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/13/alex-johnston-media-round-three/

"We need to go out there and get the two points. That's all that matters" - Junior Tatola: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/13/junior-tatola-media-round-three/

"There's always a lot of feeling and energy in these games" - Thomas Burgess: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/13/thomas-burgess-media-round-three/

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 3 against the Roosters,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. S.Mitchell
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Host
16. Sele
17. Burgess

The backline and halves obviously pick themselves, but our pack will most likely be very different to last week, in a good way.

Tatola returns and will come straight back into the starting side, and I honestly think JD will start Shaq with him. The opening exchanges of this rivalry game are going to be insanely intense, so I think it's a bit of a risk to start Sele (assuming he's back) after a bit of a lay off. We need Tom off the bench, so Shaq is the option for mine. He can handle it and would do a great job starting based off what we've seen.

I think that even if Hosty is back (no guarantees but hopefully), Cheeks maintains his starting spot. He's done enough to earn that spot for now and I don't want Hosty starting just yet for the same reason as Sele.

I don't want Taaffey on the bench anymore to be honest, but I think it's what JD will still go with.

Gonna be an interesting team list Tuesday! Can't wait!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Here's my predicted line up for Round 3 against the Roosters,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Thompson
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. S.Mitchell
11. Koloamatangi
12. Chee Kam
13. Murray (C)

14. Taaffe
15. Host
16. Sele
17. Burgess

The backline and halves obviously pick themselves, but our pack will most likely be very different to last week, in a good way.

Tatola returns and will come straight back into the starting side, and I honestly think JD will start Shaq with him. The opening exchanges of this rivalry game are going to be insanely intense, so I think it's a bit of a risk to start Sele (assuming he's back) after a bit of a lay off. We need Tom off the bench, so Shaq is the option for mine. He can handle it and would do a great job starting based off what we've seen.

I think that even if Hosty is back (no guarantees but hopefully), Cheeks maintains his starting spot. He's done enough to earn that spot for now and I don't want Hosty starting just yet for the same reason as Sele.

I don't want Taaffey on the bench anymore to be honest, but I think it's what JD will still go with.

Gonna be an interesting team list Tuesday! Can't wait!!

I definitely agree with you about Cheeks starting i think he's been way more impressive than Host has ever been but JD seems to favour Host.

big hit!

Bench
A lot of love for Shaq at the moment, but he got stood up v Luai for the Tago try. Burgess is prone to this too. Any detachment between the 4 and 5-man and these big boppers lack of lateral movement with both on the field could be a danger v Keary & Walker.

Need Junior back and a fit Sele to playing more games than not is imperative this season. I reckon Arrow will be playing a lot more in the middle this year than he did last season.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL Squad for Round 3 Against the Roosters: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2...l-squad-for-round-three-against-the-roosters/

Yewwwwww team list Tuesday once again! Ans what a line up we've been able to name this week! Certainly streaks ahead of where we were last week, particularly the pack. Looks a very strong team to take on the arch rivals.

An unchanged backline and halves which we like to see and two massive in's into the forward pack with Junior and Hame both back!! Massive for us, that'll give us the punch we need. Junior starts with Hame on the bench. I would have liked to see Tom come off the bench instead of starting again but this may change of course.

No disrespect to Taaffey, but I am a bit disappointed to see he's still named in the 14. It's just a bit of a waste. Otherwise the bench with Hame, Davvy and Shaq is very strong.

Stoked with the team, makes me even more pumped for Friday! Let's give it to em'!!

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
'Multi-culturalism is in our DNA' - The 63 nations represented across NRL: https://www.nrl.com/news/2023/03/14/its-in-our-dna-more-than-60-nations-represented-across-nrl/

If you wanted something to make your blood boil still days out from the game, here it is,

Souths fans express anger at Roosters ticket hike for Friday night blockbuster​

South Sydney fans don’t need an excuse when it comes to disliking cross-town rivals Sydney Roosters, but a massive ticket price hike for Friday night’s blockbuster has supporters fuming.

Angry South Sydney fans have accused the Roosters of price gouging by charging nearly double the amount for a ticket in the Rabbitohs’ supporters bay for Friday night’s blockbuster at Allianz Stadium.
Souths fans contacted The Daily Telegraph to complain at being charged $90 an adult ticket when the same seats for other games this season at Allianz sit at $50 — a price hike of 80 per cent.

Sydney Roosters chief executive Joe Kelly hit back immediately, saying Friday night’s game “is one of our tier one games” and “tiering of matches is based on opposition and demand.”

Kelly said “many clubs and codes” increase prices dependent on the opponent but a Souths spokesman said the Rabbitohs set a standard ticket price all season for opposition fans and even drop the amount for games scheduled in an unfriendly timeslot, primarily Friday 6pm.

Category one tickets for other Roosters games at Allianz this season are $70 but have been increased to $90 for the Rabbitohs match.

The Roosters will charge $100 for a ticket in the St George Illawarra away supporters’ bay for the traditional Anzac Day game this season.

Rabbitohs fans unable to afford the $90 ticket have been forced to other areas of the stadium. Souths’ main fan club, The Burrow, say they have moved bays to category three seats.
“For the Souths supporters’ bay, it was $90 for an adult ticket,” said Josh Kemp, a committee member of The Burrow. “I have spoken to a lot of Souths fans and we are angry and annoyed.

“It’s a price hike because we are Souths fans. A lot of us are upset by it.
“In the end, we had to find a different area because it was just too expensive. It’s definitely because this is a bigger game and they know Souths fans will travel to the match — it’s quite ridiculous.

“We understand if it’s a final, you can cop it. But regular season games, it’s too much given the increasing prices of everything. It makes it hard for people to attend.

“I have just organised tickets for us to go to (away) games against Brisbane (round nine) and the Dolphins (round seven). We have about 60 of us going to the Dolphins match. For a bay there and the Broncos game, tickets were only $20, and they are great seats.”

Souths fan and Mascot Juniors secretary Kim White is also upset with the price hike along with husband Lee, son Lachlan, aged 9, and daughter Chloe, 7.

“It’s really disappointing because it impacts our ability to take the kids to these games,” White said. “It should be an annual and set ticket price, irrespective of who they are playing and demand.”

Despite the ticket increase for the Roosters game, and given the anticipation around the Friday night game, the Souths’ supporters’ bay has sold out.

“The Rabbitohs match is one of our tier one games. Tiering of matches — based on opposition and demand — is a standard practice across many clubs and codes. Our pricing is actually less than round 25 (against Souths) last year,” Kelly said.
“Our category one seats for a tier one match are $90 regardless of who is buying and Rabbitohs members are offered a 10 per cent discount to this price. We nominated a quality tier one bay — bay 30 — for Rabbitohs members and supporters which is sold out.

“We were approached by the Rabbitohs to say that some members found the category one option expensive and they wanted a more affordable alternative, at which point we extended the 10 per cent Rabbitohs member discount to category four seating — our most affordable seating option — of which there are still plenty of seats available.

“Further, we were contacted by the Rabbitohs for a designated seating area for The Burrow so they could be seated together. We were happy to facilitate this with the Rabbitohs and we are liaising with their membership manager to make this happen in a category four seating area, and with the ten per cent discount.

“The last two matches between the Roosters and Rabbitohs at Allianz Stadium were sellouts, and sales for this game have been incredibly strong to date.”

One Sydney-based CEO said clubs do consider price gouging for big games.

“We don’t do it but it’s like a motel room. On Monday it’s worth $100 but by Friday it could cost $400,” he said.

Cronulla offered opposition supporters $36 tickets for a round one match this year, although the Sharks home ground cannot offer the same elite facilities as Allianz Stadium.

Kemp added: “There is already enough spice between the two teams anyway — we both hate each although it’s probably more the fans these days than the two teams themselves.

“The animosity between the Souths and Roosters fans will never go away, which is great for the game. You need those rivalries.”

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
To be fair I think the ticket hike is for both Souths and Roosters fans right? $90 for a regular season game in the toilet bowl is laughable.

callmack1

Staff member
Getting in the fight the focus for Demetriou: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/16/getting-in-the-fight-the-focus-for-demetriou-coach/

JD quite clearly excited for tomorrow. He loves the rivalry just as much as the fans and players. Let's gooooo!!!

Gallery - Round 3 Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/16/gallery-round-three-captains-run/

The Radley incident that was never sighted in Souths sin bin blitz: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...-in-souths-sin-bin-blitz-20230314-p5cs37.html

From The Sporting News,

Roosters coach Trent Robinson responds to latest swipe from Rabbitohs

If there wasn't enough heat and animosity heading into Friday night's blockbuster between the Roosters and Rabbitohs, there certainly is now.

With the two proud foundation clubs to square off for the first time since last year's chaotic semi-final, former Souths boss Shane Richardson has dropped a massive bomb on the Tricolours regarding the future of young gun Joseph Suaalii.

The teenage sensation famously left the Bunnies for their cross-town rivals in 2021 and has cemented himself as one of the best young players in the game, scoring 17 tries in 26 games and representing Samoa in last year's World Cup.

Following a recent public debate surrounding Suaalii, his contract and his desire to play fullback, Richardson took that as a golden opportunity to take a shot at the former Souths prodigy.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has since responded and urged their rivals to look in the mirror, while former captain Braith Anasta has condemned criticism of the club's salary cap.

Shane Richardson questions Joseph Suaalii's loyalty

In an abrupt statement made to Fox League during the build-up to the Round 3 clash, Richardson took a shot at Suaalii's loyalty to the Roosters.

While the likes of James Tedesco and Joseph Manu have shown their allegiance to the Bondi-based outfit, the teenager is believed to be playing hard-ball.

“When you’re building a club, you build it around players who want to be there…not around players who are only prepared to sign one-year extensions," Richardson said.

"Tedesco and Manu have both clearly shown the Roosters they want to be part of their club.

"I know they both took less money to stay under the Roosters sombrero which everyone jokes about."

Tedesco re-signed until the end of 2025 this week, while both Suaalii and Manu are without deals beyond 2024.

'Look in the mirror': Trent Robinson squashes claims

The comments from Richardson certainly didn't go down well on the other side of Anzac Parade, with Roosters head coach Robinson keen to fire back with a shot of his own.

“I think our loyalty has been shown," he said.

"Stats have shown that a lot of our guys have been here for a long period of time compared to across the road.

"A lot of our guys have come through our system and that’s been the case over many years."

For reference, the Roosters (11) have less one-club NRL players involved in Friday night's clash compared to South Sydney (13).

ROOSTERS ONE-CLUB PLAYERSRABBITOHS ONE-CLUB PLAYERS
  • Daniel Tupou
  • Joseph Suaalii
  • Joey Manu
  • Sam Walker
  • Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
  • Lindsay Collins
  • Egan Butcher
  • Nat Butcher
  • Victor Radley
  • Terrell May
  • Fletcher Baker
  • Alex Johnston
  • Isaiah Tass
  • Campbell Graham
  • Izaac Thompson
  • Cody Walker
  • Lachlan Ilias
  • Tevita Tatola
  • Tom Burgess
  • Cameron Murray
  • Keaon Koloamatangi
  • Shaq Mitchell
  • Davvy Moale
  • Blake Taaffe

Former Roosters captain hits back over salary cap criticism

With the comments from Richardson airing during an episode of NRL 360, it was inevitable that former Roosters captain Braith Anasta was going to give his two cents.

Anasta took aim at Richardson's comments and the suggestion that the Tricolours were over the salary cap.

“I just think it’s glass houses," he said.

"Where is he? He’s popped up out of nowhere again. I haven’t seen him in years and all of a sudden, he gets involved in this rivalry.

"He’s accusing the Roosters of cheating the salary cap…it’s a suggestion they are cheating the cap.

"Maybe we should get him on and he can explain that."

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Getting in the fight the focus for Demetriou: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/16/getting-in-the-fight-the-focus-for-demetriou-coach/

JD quite clearly excited for tomorrow. He loves the rivalry just as much as the fans and players. Let's gooooo!!!

Gallery - Round 3 Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/16/gallery-round-three-captains-run/

The Radley incident that was never sighted in Souths sin bin blitz: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...-in-souths-sin-bin-blitz-20230314-p5cs37.html

From The Sporting News,

Roosters coach Trent Robinson responds to latest swipe from Rabbitohs

If there wasn't enough heat and animosity heading into Friday night's blockbuster between the Roosters and Rabbitohs, there certainly is now.

With the two proud foundation clubs to square off for the first time since last year's chaotic semi-final, former Souths boss Shane Richardson has dropped a massive bomb on the Tricolours regarding the future of young gun Joseph Suaalii.

The teenage sensation famously left the Bunnies for their cross-town rivals in 2021 and has cemented himself as one of the best young players in the game, scoring 17 tries in 26 games and representing Samoa in last year's World Cup.

Following a recent public debate surrounding Suaalii, his contract and his desire to play fullback, Richardson took that as a golden opportunity to take a shot at the former Souths prodigy.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has since responded and urged their rivals to look in the mirror, while former captain Braith Anasta has condemned criticism of the club's salary cap.

Shane Richardson questions Joseph Suaalii's loyalty

In an abrupt statement made to Fox League during the build-up to the Round 3 clash, Richardson took a shot at Suaalii's loyalty to the Roosters.

While the likes of James Tedesco and Joseph Manu have shown their allegiance to the Bondi-based outfit, the teenager is believed to be playing hard-ball.

“When you’re building a club, you build it around players who want to be there…not around players who are only prepared to sign one-year extensions," Richardson said.

"Tedesco and Manu have both clearly shown the Roosters they want to be part of their club.

"I know they both took less money to stay under the Roosters sombrero which everyone jokes about."

Tedesco re-signed until the end of 2025 this week, while both Suaalii and Manu are without deals beyond 2024.

'Look in the mirror': Trent Robinson squashes claims

The comments from Richardson certainly didn't go down well on the other side of Anzac Parade, with Roosters head coach Robinson keen to fire back with a shot of his own.

“I think our loyalty has been shown," he said.

"Stats have shown that a lot of our guys have been here for a long period of time compared to across the road.

"A lot of our guys have come through our system and that’s been the case over many years."

For reference, the Roosters (11) have less one-club NRL players involved in Friday night's clash compared to South Sydney (13).

ROOSTERS ONE-CLUB PLAYERSRABBITOHS ONE-CLUB PLAYERS
  • Daniel Tupou
  • Joseph Suaalii
  • Joey Manu
  • Sam Walker
  • Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
  • Lindsay Collins
  • Egan Butcher
  • Nat Butcher
  • Victor Radley
  • Terrell May
  • Fletcher Baker
  • Alex Johnston
  • Isaiah Tass
  • Campbell Graham
  • Izaac Thompson
  • Cody Walker
  • Lachlan Ilias
  • Tevita Tatola
  • Tom Burgess
  • Cameron Murray
  • Keaon Koloamatangi
  • Shaq Mitchell
  • Davvy Moale
  • Blake Taaffe

Former Roosters captain hits back over salary cap criticism

With the comments from Richardson airing during an episode of NRL 360, it was inevitable that former Roosters captain Braith Anasta was going to give his two cents.

Anasta took aim at Richardson's comments and the suggestion that the Tricolours were over the salary cap.

“I just think it’s glass houses," he said.

"Where is he? He’s popped up out of nowhere again. I haven’t seen him in years and all of a sudden, he gets involved in this rivalry.

"He’s accusing the Roosters of cheating the salary cap…it’s a suggestion they are cheating the cap.

"Maybe we should get him on and he can explain that."

Butcher brothers and Suaalii were our juniors lol.