What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Round 4 - Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles: Saturday 25th March 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

Thumper

Juniors
Perhaps John’s passing will give the boys some extra motivation this week. Especially seeing we are playing Manly. Quite fitting actually.
would love to see the half bunny again on the jersey this week and a tribute to the great man.

I’m not often right but Monday I was. Hahaha
Good to see them honouring John.

callmack1

Staff member

I’m not often right but Monday I was. Hahaha
Good to see them honouring John.
That is incredibly special. I'm actually a bit choked up hearing that Souths are doing this and making such a good job of it.

I didn't think something like this would be possible as he passed away on Monday and we play Saturday, but to do it and get it done in such a short timeframe, it's just incredible. Hats off to Souths, Classic Sportswear, and the NRL.

Hope the boys wear it with extra pride, extra motivation and with Satts in their hearts.

Just so special. Saturday is going to be a very unreal day, it sounds like the club has a lot planned to commemorate Satts and it's stuff like this that makes me want to move to Aus so I can be a part of it.

handyman2190

Bench
That is incredibly special. I'm actually a bit choked up hearing that Souths are doing this and making such a good job of it.

I didn't think something like this would be possible as he passed away on Monday and we play Saturday, but to do it and get it done in such a short timeframe, it's just incredible. Hats off to Souths, Classic Sportswear, and the NRL.

Hope the boys wear it with extra pride, extra motivation and with Satts in their hearts.

Just so special. Saturday is going to be a very unreal day, it sounds like the club has a lot planned to commemorate Satts and it's stuff like this that makes me want to move to Aus so I can be a part of it.
Your more than welcome brother!!

callmack1

Staff member
Being reported that Keaon trained in the middle today with Hosty and Cheeks in the back row. Lovett in line to come onto the bench in place of Taaffe.

I actually don't mind that. It's not ideal of course but probably our best option right now.

It makes our middle stronger which is the big worry right now, and I think Hosty and Cheeks can do a job on an edge.

Yea, we may lose Keaon's attacking threat on the left but who's to say he won't drift out there and resume his normal role when on attack?

Would love to see Lovett debut.

The line up come kick off is going to be fascinating!!

Your more than welcome brother!!
Thanks mate, I really would love to be there on Saturday.

callmack1

Staff member
Actually starting to feel really stirred up for this game. Feeling emotional and extremely fired up for it.

It's just going to be a really special day. Sad, but special. We really need a win too which only adds to the stirring feeling.

Some of you may have noticed, I like doing a bit of graphic design and I make a little jersey texture for my avatar (It's actually a phone lock screen wallpaper but works well as a forum avatar). Whatever jersey we're wearing that week, that's my avatar.

So of course, with the news today about the jersey to be worn this weekend, I had to make that too. While making it, I did some reflection and really thought about Satts. Now, I'm too young to have ever seen him play but I feel like I know a lot about him and what he did for this club because when I first started supporting Souths as a kid, I was so fascinated that I made a real effort to learn some of the history and learn about some of our most iconic players, our legends.

Although I didn't see him play or ever meet him, I feel like Satts still means a hell of a lot to me and I'm sure I speak for hundreds of us Souths fans when I say that. There will never be another man like him and we will never be able to thank him enough for what he's done for this club.

But Saturday is a chance, it's our chance, to do our little bit to say thank you to our legend. Whether you're at home, or going to the ground to get amongst it, take a moment, and I mean a real moment, to reflect on this great man. Wear a black armband in remembrance.

We wouldn't be where we are today, getting ready for this game this week if it wasn't for people like him.

It's far more than just a game on Saturday.

Thumper

Juniors
My father send me this yesterday.
a few Satts stories for everyone.
He met him a few times with his work.
Amazing man.
The ultimate white line fever man.

I heard this story from a number of people, one of whom was playing for Souths at the time. Satts denied it happened. The story was Souths ran out on the field, the dressing room steward was tidying up when Sattler walked back in. The steward said did you forget something John? Satts said, no I got sent off. It fits the image even if it’s not true.

This story from Bob McCarthy. Souths were playing either Easts or Manly, and Satts was literally belting all and sundry. McCarthy said he and John O’Neill were going around picking up the belted players and apologising for Satts’ behaviour.

I dont know if you remember the State game when Satts decided that while he was a crap footballer, Brian Fitzsimmons was a very good hooker and so he decided to deal harshly with Brian. Brian’s head shot up out of the scrum after a short right jab and Satts got sent off.

The best of the lot. Satts was on Ron Casey’s World of Sport and was asked by Frank Hyde who he liked playing against the most. Satts said Canterbury. Frank said why. Satts said because they have 2 cats playing in the front row. He was referring to Dennis Manteit and Henry Tatana.

Rabbits20

Immortal
For those wanting to know about Satts’ commemorative jersey, this was just released by the Club:

The Rabbitohs, in conjunction with Classic Sportswear, are also producing a commemorative t-shirt of John Sattler which will be sold exclusively by the Club for $19.70, with all money raised going to Souths Cares, the charity selected by the Sattler family. The t-shirt will be available at the game on Saturday or available to order online at the Rabbitohs Online Shop from Saturday evening at 7:35pm. The Rabbitohs wish to thank Classic Sportswear for donating the t-shirts, enabling all proceeds to be donated to Souths Cares, as well as their stellar work in producing the game jerseys for this week in a very short timeframe.

Rabbits20

Immortal
To
@SSFCRABBITOHS
fans and members and
@NRL
fans in general.
This Saturday night at
@AccorStadium
let’s stand with the Sattler family in honour of the great man, John Sattler. Game starts 7:35pm .
South Sydney v Manly-Warringah

Well said Russell Crowe all Rabbitohs Members and supporters get out there this Saturday Night it deserves 20k there!!!! If you’re within 2-3 hours of Sydney no excuses

callmack1

Staff member
Jason Demetriou Round Four Media: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/24/jason-demetriou-round-four-media/

Another fantastic game day eve interview from JD. Spoke so well about Sattler, how the boys are feeling about representing Satts and what we need to do to get over Manly tomorrow.

Gallery - Round Four Captain's Run: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/24/gallery-round-four-captains-run/

Wot about this Round Four: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/03/24/wot-about-this-round-four/

Don't know about you guys but I feel extremely anxious/nervous/excited already! More than I normally would the night before a game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
JD spoke to referees boss after Rorters game around the ruck six agains 4-0 and we’ve only had 2 six agains in 3 games he wants more understanding on the officiating. If you look at it teams like Rorters have had 12 six agains from their 3 games we have had 2 only.

He’s given examples to NRL where we should’ve had some footage of six agains as well. Well done JD on doing this behind closed doors is the right way to do it. It’s unlike JD to speak up about the officiating too but it’s good to see the club making a stand on the matter.

I’ll be out there tomorrow night bboooooing and all to get us a few six agains.

callmack1

Staff member
Rise and shine South Sydney supporters, a glorious morning is upon us because today is the day! That day of the week we all long for as game day comes around once again! Our boys go into battle once again tonight against an old foe Manly. There's no understating the enormity of the occasion tonight, it's a huge game. Two strong clubs with a storied history and rivalry that stretches back almost 80 years now, plus, we really need a win to get our Season start back on track. Must win in my eyes.

Adding to the occasion, tonight we honor, remember, commemorate and pay tribute to one of our greats, one of our biggest icons of the club, John Sattler. Tonight is more than just a game. It's going to be an extremely emotional and special night in the history of our club. I hope the boys go out there with Satts in their hearts and get it done for him. Play with extra emotion, passion and effort for Satts.

How ironic that we are playing Sattler's old foe in Manly. We're in for a real challenge in this one because the Sea Eagles have really got their shit together and are flying high. They look fresh, confident, and are playing some incredible Footy. The Sea Eagles will be looking to keep their unbeaten run going and I'm sure they'll come out firing. It's a big game for them too. They've got quality all over the park, pretty much everywhere you look I wouldn't say there's anyone that isn't a good player. Of course, they're headlined by stars in the Turbo brothers and DCE. To beat them tonight, we just have to hold our own in the middle and defend well. Defence is probably the biggest one. Manly's attack is looking red hot so we'll have our hands full on the edges but if we can keep improving our already solid defence and limit them, it will be huge. Gotta D up on Turbo and DCE too, shut them down and defend well across the board, we win. I know it's easy to sit here and say that, but it can be done.

For us, we really need to get our shit together too. This is such an important game and such an important occasion that we must get it right. No excuses, just get it right. I've already talked about defence but the other huge area that must improve is ball control. I want that completion rate up around 80% or hopefully better tonight or we'll be handing the game to Manly. They're too good of a side to not take advantage of opportunities we give them. So hold the ball, limit those opportunities, simple as that. If we can do so, I'm confident we have the attack to crack them. If there's a weakness in this Sea Eagles side, it's their defence. Secondly, it's time for our spine to really stand up and lead the way. Trell and Cody in particular probably haven't been as impactful as we would have liked and with some big forwards out, it's time for them to really take charge and lead the way. Our backs are against the wall in the middle but we can friggin do this!!!!

It's time to get this start to the Season back on track. Even with guys out, if we get our own game in order, I'm confident we can get one over Manly and do just that. Not gonna be easy, it'll take a huge effort, but it can be done, it has to be done. As I said, losing last week means the pressure is somewhat on this week and it's a must win.

Just do it for Satts lads. Channel him. Huge day for our club, back at home. Let's get it done!!