What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 NRL draw

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

The Dolphins have locked in for seven huge events at Suncorp Stadium next year as they open season ticket sales to the public for their 2023 entry to the NRL.

“And for the first time today the general public can purchase season tickets that include our seven matches at Suncorp Stadium and the three home games set down for Moreton Daily Stadium at Redcliffe."

The Brisbane Broncos are set to take NRL games to the Gabba next season in a bombshell move that will snap a 67-year rugby league drought at the iconic Queensland venue.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos are investigating playing up to three games at the home of the AFL’s Brisbane Lions next year.

The Broncos have been forced to move matches from their traditional Suncorp Stadium home ground due to the FIFA Women’s World Cup – which will trigger a two-month blackout of multiple stadiums around the country in July-August.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the release of the 2023 draw was likely to be delayed due to the venues issue.

“Next year’s draw will be the most complex we’ve had in a while with some constraints around those venues,” he said.

“We’re looking at a whole bunch of ways we can work with each club on that. Some of it will be scheduling, some of it will be moving matches regional and creating opportunities to play in potentially new locations.

“That will all unfold over the next six weeks or so. The draw typically comes out at the end of October, but we might need a bit of time, depending on how we go with the complexities. The focus for the next two months is certainly on this.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have confirmed their home venues for the 2023 season today as Rabbitohs Membership goes on sale for 2023 this week.

The Rabbitohs will be aiming to surpass 2022’s Membership total of 31,256 Members in 2023, the seventh time the Rabbitohs surpassed 30,000 Members in a season.

South Sydney has also confirmed its home venues for a majority of its regular season home games and two pre-season matches in 2023, taking into consideration the availability of stadia during the FIFA Women’s World Cup being hosted in Australia in July and August.

The Rabbitohs will play at least eight home matches at Sydney’s Accor Stadium at Sydney Olympic Park in 2023, using the Olympic stadium as its main home venue for the upcoming season.

During the lockdown period for the FIFA Women’s World Cup, the Rabbitohs will play home games at Perth’s Optus Stadium and south-east Queensland’s Sunshine Coast Stadium, with two more venues yet to be finalised.

In the pre-season, the Rabbitohs’ trial matches will be played in February at Central Coast Stadium in Gosford, and the annual Charity Shield match at Mudgee’s Glen Willow Stadium against the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looks like we will get at least one double header at Optus this season with Souths confirming they will play one game there.

guyver78

Juniors
Rabbitohs got shafted hard in this deal. 8 games at ANZ, rest away from Sydney. Doubt that after 10yrs I’ll be renewing my season ticketed membership.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Rabbitohs got shafted hard in this deal. 8 games at ANZ, rest away from Sydney. Doubt that after 10yrs I’ll be renewing my season ticketed membership.
There's two not yet designated, be surprised if they arent at Allianz. TBF Souths shafted themselves by signing a contract AFTER the news of no Accor upgrade was made.

Many Sydney clubs are going to be in the same boat, and a few inter-state ones too. The FIFA Women's World Cup is taking a lot of grounds which NRL clubs use out of play whilst it is on including Allianz, Accor, AAMI (in Melbourne) and Optus (in Perth) during the period of 20 July 2023 to 20 August 2023 (and IIRC FIFA require the venues to be available a week or two prior to the event, so it will probably be at least 6 weeks those stadiums won't be available).

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Women's World Cup are forcing most Sydney clubs who use Accor/Allianz to rethink their venues for 2023. Venue blockout is the key.

westerntiger

Juniors
Yeah should be taking there games to rural QLD imo.

You have RL heartlands up there in Mackay, Bundaberg, Cairns, Rockhampton that have hosted games before and should be able to accommodate.
Exactly it's only a few games. Ridiculous playing at a totally unsuitable stadium.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Corporate is king nowadays
I think it reinforces what a selfish club Broncos are and continue to be.

Most clubs take at least 1 game to the rural areas.

Maybe negotiate with QLD tourism for a sponsorship anyway and see what is possible.

It may not be that simple but imagine if they take 1 per game per season to a different rural areas of QLD and what it would do for the people there.

Why is it up to NSW clubs to take games to these places. Broncos are the main team in QLD.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Maybe negotiate with QLD tourism for a sponsorship anyway and see what is possible.

It may not be that simple but imagine if they take 1 per game per season to a different rural areas of QLD and what it would do for the people there.

Why is it up to NSW clubs to take games to these places. Broncos are the main team in QLD.
Nonsense, Broncos earn most of their revenue from game day. they arent abandoning a 30k crowd and corporate sales to play in some 10k local park lol
Most sydney clubs struggle to get 14k to a game so getting some money from a local council to play in front of 10k isnt a big step down for them like it would be for a club like Broncos who actually have a big fanbase!

Jamberoo

Juniors
This will be a very interesting fixture. Storm could play at Geelong (oval but very narrow - OK for RL) or Nth Hobart Oval (small dimensions) where they got 12K for a trial in 2012.

Tigers1986

Juniors
So how exactly did FIFA go about securing this "blackout" of the stadiums anyway?

Not many people care for soccer if the A-League attendances are to be factored in, and unfortunately the same is said for the women's game. Whole lot of hooflah for my understanding but am happy to be corrected or educated I guess.

Because Brisbane only gets 12 games per season, plus Magic Round, whereas Sydney gets over 100 games plus the GF.

Latest posts