What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 season - venue issues due to Women's FIFA World Cup

T-Boon

Coach
Pause the competition. Play the sevens comp in Darwin and invite the Super League teams as well.

Sangas outside the ground. Face painting for the kids. And that dunking game where if you hit the sign someone falls in the water.
Dudes thinking outside the square. The boon abides.

bazza

Referee
Doesn’t seem like too big of an issue.

Schedule as many away games for these teams as you can.
And then, for the 3/4 home games:
Bulldogs- Belmore
Souths- CommBank
Roosters-SCG/Gosford
Redcliffe- Dolphin Oval/Sunshine Coast
Broncos-Gabba or ?Ballymore ?QE2
Storm- Marvel/Geelong
Tigers- Campbelltown/CommBank

also opportunities for a few bush games or NZ games too.
Doesn’t seem like a big issue to me.
yeah - beside Melbourne not really a big deal

moffla

Bench
Storm officials will do what they can keep games at AAMI Park, even if that means back-ending/front-ending a pile of home games to make up for 8 games away.

I'm not overly fussed either way. Happy to play at Marvel, lakeside, Ballarat, Geelong etc in the interim. I think all codes should be working together for these big events and I'm glad NRL have come to the party.

I'll never forgive the AFL for deliberately going out of their way during the bid for the mens tournament way back when...they'll no doubt be first to throw a Sherrin at Sam Kerr and Megan Rapinoe for a photo opp though.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont think it'll be a big issue, I'm sure the NRL will work around it. They'll probably schedule Origin earlier.

Play some games in the bush, Gosford will be available.

I like that idea of playing games in NZ, I dont think Mt Smart is being used for the World Cup.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I dont think it'll be a big issue, I'm sure the NRL will work around it. They'll probably schedule Origin earlier.

Play some games in the bush, Gosford will be available.

I like that idea of playing games in NZ, I dont think Mt Smart is being used for the World Cup.
Mt Smart and Christchurch are free for use in NZ
Gosford, Win and Newcastle in regional NSW
Gold Coast, Redcliffe, and NQ in Queensland
All Sydney except Accor, SFS and Leichardt
There's no shortage of stadiums available

Be interesting to see what they do with Origin. I dont suppose the focus on the world cup will make much difference to interest levels so I guess it will go ahead as normal though Suncorp and Accor not available so will have to played in May and first week of June before world cup kicks off on July 19th (presumably the want the venues couple of week before to sort out pitch and warm ups?)

emesssea

Juniors
Victorians are f**king hilarious. The MCG wasn't put forward because it's a cricket oval and would be laughed at by FIFA.

But yeah sure.. didn't want to upset the AFL.

I've definitely read about FIFA wanting the exclusive use of the MCG being a major stumbling block for Australia's bid for the men's world cup.

About the MCG from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid

"Due to the quality of the stadium, and the stadium's capacity, it is already in FIFA standards, and was proposed to host the opening match for the tournament, in addition to group stage, round of 16, quarterfinal, semifinal and the final."

blue bags

First Grade
That's the one near Kogarah/Rockdale?

Holy f**k I used to play touch footy there back in the 1990s.
I started training and playing rugby league at Scarborough park for Brighton seagulls. Sky Blue Jersey with Red rings. O grade and N grade then moved on to Arncliffe Scott's . Black Jersey with gold and red V . Scarborough park is still there serving the sporting the

blue bags

First Grade
Community, the area has been designated for the F6 freeway motorway , but might take a decade or more for that take happen

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
I've definitely read about FIFA wanting the exclusive use of the MCG being a major stumbling block for Australia's bid for the men's world cup.

About the MCG from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid

"Due to the quality of the stadium, and the stadium's capacity, it is already in FIFA standards, and was proposed to host the opening match for the tournament, in addition to group stage, round of 16, quarterfinal, semifinal and the final."
That Wikipedia article is complete nonsense. Probably written by a Victorian. None of the matches were allocated a venue in the bidding stage. The MCG is not even close to being FIFA compliant. I daresay FIFA don't even know what the MCG is. And they certainly don't give a shit about its so called aura and history.

Jamberoo

Juniors
That Wikipedia article is complete nonsense. Probably written by a Victorian. None of the matches were allocated a venue in the bidding stage. The MCG is not even close to being FIFA compliant. I daresay FIFA don't even know what the MCG is. And they certainly don't give a shit about its so called aura and history.
The MCG is FIFA compliant. Maximum distance from any point on the field to a seat is 190m, and 88k of the 95k seats fit this (it was listed in the bid book at 88K, can't use the 5k standing room either). Just need to not use the last couple of rows of the top deck. (FIFA would want the extra $$$ and would probably sell them anyway) Money talks and the final would have been @ the MCG. They could add around 3K temporary seats in the standing room areas and push the capacity to 91K.
Reckon the last few rows @ ACCOR would be just as far away. At least the MCG has lifts and elevators to get the fans up to the top.
And the article in the OP is written by a Sydney journo in a Sydney paper, so not sure why all you Canadians are whinging about us Mexicans.

Storm officials will do what they can keep games at AAMI Park, even if that means back-ending/front-ending a pile of home games to make up for 8 games away.

I'm not overly fussed either way. Happy to play at Marvel, lakeside, Ballarat, Geelong etc in the interim. I think all codes should be working together for these big events and I'm glad NRL have come to the party.

I'll never forgive the AFL for deliberately going out of their way during the bid for the mens tournament way back when...they'll no doubt be first to throw a Sherrin at Sam Kerr and Megan Rapinoe for a photo opp though.
Sam Kerr’s brother was an AFL player for WC Eagles. And since AFL invented women’s sport a couple of years ago, I can see them def using her for a photo opportunity of how good they are.