What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I pay that for Kayo but have F1, Cricket, US Sports etc as well.

There will be but you overpay for NRL and that is less you can pay for other content.

Kayo alone couldn't survive but in partnership with Foxtel you can, That is why it gets slammed with ads and cross promotions.
It's legislated that the NRL needs to be on FTA. That puts fox at a disadvantage because they need to partner with a willing FTA provider. Why would nine/ten do that, when they have their own sub services, unless they have to? So fox need to payup or the NRL walk away.

you also have half a billion less a year in costs too though

Costs aren't equal to costs. Is it sustainable without Rugby league? With 50k peak ratings on FTA for big AFL games in the most populous states and Fox not having access to exclusivity in home states it's questionable.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I’m curious about a hypothetical scenario of the NRL going away from Foxtel to Stan/Paramount.

What happens then to viewing the game in pubs and clubs?

This does seem to be not accounted for when seeing the NRL audience as just a home-viewing subscriber base.

Being able to view the game at every licensed venue nationwide is the current situation with Foxtel. They may not be possible with a new broadcast partner.

The_Wookie

Bench

TV ratings have also been strong, according to footyindustry.com, and the introduction of the Dolphins this season has resulted in a 25 per cent increase in Brisbane viewers, headed by the match against the Broncos, which drew an overall audience of 1.3 million.

Well at least they didnt give a different figure lol

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
The crowd figures are great but they are far from the most important thing.
Also I do believe that finally being clear of the covid epidemic and the ensuing sense of relief (plus the great footy of course) is feeding into this.
However, Tv ratings have nothing to do with covid, and in fact may as we know covid can boost ratings.

This is the big news:
"to the end of round 3 of the NRL season #nrltvratings, total aggregate ratings have reached 17.268m viewers at an average of 720,000 viewers per match across Fox and Nine - up 15% on R1-3 2022."
626 000 per match last year, 720 000 so far this.

Our main competitor:

"#afltvratings for R1 of the AFL season finished with est 5.785m viewers, down 11% on 2022."
Funny no mention of viewers per game, don`t worry I`ll do it for you, 640 000.

That`s a big bloody difference.

Iamback

Coach
It's legislated that the NRL needs to be on FTA. That puts fox at a disadvantage because they need to partner with a willing FTA provider. Why would nine/ten do that, when they have their own sub services, unless they have to? So fox need to payup or the NRL walk away.

Costs aren't equal to costs. Is it sustainable without Rugby league? With 50k peak ratings on FTA for big AFL games in the most populous states and Fox not having access to exclusivity in home states it's questionable.

Because FTA needs sport, The question for those becomes how much money can they afford to lose on the streaming side? Take ch9 they have the benefit of the 4 biggest programs of the years without having to produce every game.

As for Fox.That is the Sports side alone though, The Entertainment side still has some big deals in place

Cricket locked and AFL are produced by Fox. F1, ESPN programming hell even Supercars is produced externally. It allows Kayo and the Sports add ons to become cheaper

Iamback

Coach
I’m curious about a hypothetical scenario of the NRL going away from Foxtel to Stan/Paramount.

What happens then to viewing the game in pubs and clubs?

This does seem to be not accounted for when seeing the NRL audience as just a home-viewing subscriber base.

Being able to view the game at every licensed venue nationwide is the current situation with Foxtel. They may not be possible with a new broadcast partner.

That is the reason cricket and AFL stayed with Fox

Wb1234

Referee
Because FTA needs sport, The question for those becomes how much money can they afford to lose on the streaming side? Take ch9 they have the benefit of the 4 biggest programs of the years without having to produce every game.

As for Fox.That is the Sports side alone though, The Entertainment side still has some big deals in place

Cricket locked and AFL are produced by Fox. F1, ESPN programming hell even Supercars is produced externally. It allows Kayo and the Sports add ons to become cheaper
Have a look at the top 100 most watched foxtel programs each year

league will be like 60 or so

Iamback

Coach
643 million minus 7? 150 million minus 50 million Telstra ?

fumblers claim paramount offered even more

In 2020 it was $147m from ch7. The new deal was reported to the stock market as being 20% higher.

No word if that is straight cash or contra included. Telstra is higher this time $70m or so.

Which is why you can't compare the 2 deals

Attachments

• 2CDFE35D-965F-4595-8B1D-606C5EDECD74.png
    2CDFE35D-965F-4595-8B1D-606C5EDECD74.png
    876.6 KB · Views: 1

Wb1234

Referee
In 2020 it was $147m from ch7. The new deal was reported to the stock market as being 20% higher.

No word if that is straight cash or contra included. Telstra is higher this time $70m or so.

Still leaves foxtel at 400 million vs 270 million nrl

Perth Red

Post Whore
I get Kayo for nrl, nfl and f1. I wouldn’t pay $30 a month for the other two alone. Im sure fox would survive without nrl but it would put a big dent in their profit margin. But then agin so would paying $350-400mill for nrl.

Wb1234

Referee
I get Kayo for nrl, nfl and f1. I wouldn’t pay $30 a month for the other two alone. Im sure fox would survive without nrl but it would put a big dent in their profit margin. But then agin so would paying $350-400mill for nrl.
Guess they don’t pay any sport that much then ?

Colk

First Grade

My god, are we still talking about this? Are you still claiming that NRL got a good deal - or that they negotiated this well - or that somehow the fumblers aren’t getting more money and considerably more too.

Occam’s razor tells you this but for some reason you are still trying to argue that you can’t simply state this fact. The fumblers did their negotiations better and they got more money. Case closed. Let’s hope we do it better than them next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts