What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Ground Allocations

Tim.butler

Juniors
Today I received the annual email from the Dragons about renewing my 2024 membership.
Two matters leap out at from this email.
Firstly, the email states that in 2024 Kogarah is allocated 5 games, Wollongong 7 games, plus the Anzac Day game at Allianz Stadium is a Dragons home game this year. Does that not add up to 13 home games. I thought the season comprised 12 home games, 12 away games and 3 byes making a total of 27 weeks of competition.
I must be missing something here. Can anyone set me straight.
Secondly, am I the only person who is fed up with Kogarah pass holders getting a reduced number of home games compared to Wollongong pass holders.
This year (2023) Kogarah was allocated 5 games and Wollongong 7 games due to the Womens FIFA World Cup. In 2022 Kogarah was allocated 5 games and Wollongong 6 games.
Why didn’t the club take the opportunity to thank Kogarah ticket holders and allocate 7 games to Kogarah.
I must be getting cranky in my old age. I just feel like Kogarah ticket holders are getting the rough end of the pineapple. Rant over. 😠

Parko1310

Juniors
It's our turn to host ANZAC Day. One home game will go to Allianz. Whoever's writing the email is in all likelihood confused because of the 7 games at Wollongong this year or was given the wrong info to write. It's a mistake. It'll be 6 at the Gong, 5 at Kogarah, 1 at Allianz. 2025 it will be back to normal with a 50/50 between Kogarah and WIN

thebigredv

First Grade
I understand things change but let’s look at some fundamentals.

Barely any footy at Kogarah at all.
Stand-alone Sydney clubs like Rabbitohs, Roosters and our now big brother Cronulla thriving on and off the field.
A view to re-expand the comp back to 20 clubs.
Our JV run with zero identity, passion or respect for history and to top it off a gutless captain who epitomises the disrespectful attitude.

Feels to me like a slide into the oblivion for the club. Only thing left are the loyal fans.

Tim.butler

Juniors
Today I received the annual email from the Dragons about renewing my 2024 membership.
Two matters leap out at from this email.
Firstly, the email states that in 2024 Kogarah is allocated 5 games, Wollongong 7 games, plus the Anzac Day game at Allianz Stadium is a Dragons home game this year. Does that not add up to 13 home games. I thought the season comprised 12 home games, 12 away games and 3 byes making a total of 27 weeks of competition.
I must be missing something here. Can anyone set me straight.
Secondly, am I the only person who is fed up with Kogarah pass holders getting a reduced number of home games compared to Wollongong pass holders.
This year (2023) Kogarah was allocated 5 games and Wollongong 7 games due to the Womens FIFA World Cup. In 2022 Kogarah was allocated 5 games and Wollongong 6 games.
Why didn’t the club take the opportunity to thank Kogarah ticket holders and allocate 7 games to Kogarah.
I must be getting cranky in my old age. I just feel like Kogarah ticket holders are getting the rough end of the pineapple. Rant over. 😠
It's our turn to host ANZAC Day. One home game will go to Allianz. Whoever's writing the email is in all likelihood confused because of the 7 games at Wollongong this year or was given the wrong info to write. It's a mistake. It'll be 6 at the Gong, 5 at Kogarah, 1 at Allianz. 2025 it will be back to normal with a 50/50 between Kogarah and WIN
Thanks Parko. It certainly appears something is amiss on the website or maybe I’m just interpreting it all wrong.

Currently the Kogarah Pass + Anzac Day Game says:

Immerse yourself in the electric atmosphere at all 5 NRL home games at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah and secure your seat for the epic Anzac Day Clash at Allianz Stadium

And the Wollongong Pass + Anzac Day Game says:

Experience the game with a view like no other!
Access all 7 NRL home games at WIN Stadium, Wollongong and secure your seat for the epic Anzac Day Clash at Allianz Stadium

The bigger issue for me is that it’s time for Kogarah to have 6 games and Wollongong 5 games. Would love to hear the clubs explanation for why Kogarah only has 5 games in 2024 - yet again. Not fair.

The Word

Juniors
Maybe it's because Allianz stadium is about 17km away from Kogarah, but about 90km from Wollongong?

John moz

Juniors
The Nrl still dont get it kogarah is closer to more Sydney clubs to attend on game day.
The Dragons board need look at games in wollongong with attracting other Sydney teams to games not ideal with travelling .
All home games back at kogarah is what the nrl need for more Dragons free to air tv games .

Parko1310

Juniors
The Nrl still dont get it kogarah is closer to more Sydney clubs to attend on game day.
The Dragons board need look at games in wollongong with attracting other Sydney teams to games not ideal with travelling .
All home games back at kogarah is what the nrl need for more Dragons free to air tv games .
Come on. Wollongong beats Kogarah crowds every single year without fail, and that is absolute fact.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Both beautiful grounds so the 50/50 split is fair considering most juniors come from the Gong. I personally like going to both. One thing they should consider is maybe having most day or weekend games in the Gong and night ones at Kogarah. Having a game at the Gong on a Thursday or Friday night is bit of a stretch, where as going to the gong on a weekend is pretty reasonable for most to get there from Sydney. It's common sense which you would hope Saints management would be aware of.

I would like both grounds to end up being a fortress where Saints have strong records and teams dread going. The more the better. As for the Anzac game, they should consider the CommBank or Accor for Saints home games instead of Allianz but I can understand why they go to Allianz as it is for the occasion which belongs in the City which the Saints have the privilege of being part of.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
All out of town teams should be going to Wollongong.
All Sydney teams should be played out of Kogarah.
Maybe, but if you come from interstate, Wollongong is absolutely the worst ground to try and visit. It's pretty easy to fly to Sydney and get a cab or a train to Kogarah. Try getting to Wollongong by public transport from Sydney or anywhere else - it's absolutely hopeless.

possm

Coach
I have always had the view that Kogarah could be a great ground because it is located so close to the airport, rail, and highway. It was always a great place for me to watch football; win or lose.

If this venue was upgraded to say a 40k capacity stadium, it could be one of the most sought-after in Sydney. The problem is that the NRL wants to reduce the number of Sydney teams and increase representation in the Region. Putting it plainly, the NRL would rather the Dragons relocate to the Gong. So, there will not be any moves to make Kogarah something special until policy changes are made at NRL level. Our BOD should lobby for such a change.

saints4ever

First Grade
Maybe, but if you come from interstate, Wollongong is absolutely the worst ground to try and visit. It's pretty easy to fly to Sydney and get a cab or a train to Kogarah. Try getting to Wollongong by public transport from Sydney or anywhere else - it's absolutely hopeless.
That's the idea RE travelling teams. You have to get any advantage you can

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
That's the idea RE travelling teams. You have to get any advantage you can
Yeah, I was thinking more of Dragons fans travelling from interstate but maybe there's not enough of them to worry about.

Anyway we only won two games at Wollongong, so it wasn't much of an advantage to us either.