What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

Hellray

Juniors
So,looks like we have signed Gray I think Ryan Gray is his name he’s around 23 and a former Australian schoolboys hooker. A smart signing I think. Who knows if he has a good season or 2 in NSW Cup he might get a top 30 contract. Adds more depth at hooker behind Cookie and Pete. I’m glad Romano Cook is gone anyway he was useless on the 3-4 times I saw him I wasn’t impressed.

Just saw a few highlights of Ryan he has a strong running game
I will agree Romano cook just looked like an avg player in the pre season games they played him in. Glad they didn’t persist any longer.

doyen

Bench
We need to be looking at our No. 9 for the good of our future---Cookie is overrated, IMO---he's a "fairweather" player---NOT so flash in STORMY weather !! Looks great when his team is dominating weaker opposition but NOT so good when the heat is turned up in big ,important games !!

handyman2190

Bench
Caleb has been connected with Souths for a few years now, although his all blacks contract isn’t over it’s very likely we look to signing him the moment it’s finished.

His play is the equivalent of Brian To’o with a better step, he’s currently training with the Rabbitohs to improve conditioning and improve his skills (I think it’s a way to get his foot in the door for the future)

Thumper

Juniors
Caleb has been connected with Souths for a few years now, although his all blacks contract isn’t over it’s very likely we look to signing him the moment it’s finished.

His play is the equivalent of Brian To’o with a better step, he’s currently training with the Rabbitohs to improve conditioning and improve his skills (I think it’s a way to get his foot in the door for the future)
6 foot 2 and 110kgs. Brian To’o on steroids.

Rabbits20

Immortal
All Black Caleb Clarke is linking with South Sydney Rabbitohs, as he looks to take his pre-season training down a different path, before joining the Blues in late January.

The powerhouse winger has long been a fan of the Rabbitohs and has formed a close friendship with star fullback Latrell Mitchell.

Clarke, 24, wants to find an edge before the upcoming Super Rugby Pacific season and he hopes the decision to switch codes as part of his training will help that.
I’ve always been a Rabbitohs fan and thought, in my time off before I join the Blues campaign, I can look to learn off the NRL boys,” Clarke told Newshub.

The 20-test international featured only twice for the All Blacks during the Rugby World Cup and struggled to capture the form he’s shown in recent years. To ensure he rediscovers that performance in 2024, he’s taken matters into his own hands.

Clarke feels a crosscode switch-up before his pre-season officially begins will help add another layer to his game and get back to peak condition.

“After a year that didn’t go as well as I hoped for, I want to do something different in terms of preparation for 2024,” he said. “Being around an environment with people I look up to and can learn from can bring the edge I want to get and take into this new season.”

Clarke’s stint with the Rabbitohs isn’t the first time an All Black has turned to the NRL as part of their training.

In March, midfielder Jordie Barrett spent his mandatory All Blacks rest week across the ditch with Melbourne Storm and AFL side Richmond. Barrett’s time there has given Clarke the belief he can benefit too.

“I am always looking to improve my game,” added Clarke. “I saw Jordie Barrett train with the Storm last year and thought I would do the same.”

Barrett had nothing but praise for the growth he felt he experienced by mixing with other teams and other codes.

“I love the style of play - kick, catch, and running all day,” said Barrett at the time. “It probably suits my skillset, but I just enjoyed rubbing shoulders with some awesome athletes and some great coaches, and I was able to kick the footy around in the afternoon, which I enjoyed.”
The time spent at Melbourne clearly worked wonders for Barrett, who was one of the All Blacks’ best at the World Cup in France.

Clarke’s decision to follow suit with South Sydney has been welcomed by club boss Blake Solly.

“To welcome an athlete of Caleb’s quality and success to the club will be great,” he told Newshub. "The players and coaching staff are really looking forward to spending some time with Caleb.

“We’ve watched his success from afar and hopefully we can learn a bit from him, just as we hope Caleb will learn from a bit from our players and coaches too.”

Clarke is clearly taking no chances on his form, as he looks to cement a spot in Scott Robertson’s national team next year.

Source MSN

callmack1

Staff member
Pretty damn cool about Clarke!!

As a Kiwi, kind of knowing a lot about him because of his Dad and because he's an All Black, I'm pretty excited by this!! I've always said he'll play for us one day because he's such a big fan and seems to love the club just as much as we all do, but to see him have his first proper interaction with Souths is amazing! Makes you wonder if this could happen sooner rather than later too?

I think it's almost certain to happen at sometime in the future. Whether it's 2025 or a bit later, it will happen.

You can almost guarantee the club will take this opportunity to sit down with him and talk future business. Stay tuned.....

doyen

Bench

Rabbits20

Immortal
hours ago
NRL clubs have slammed the door on Peter V’landys’ controversial ‘code war’ with rugby union.

The chairman of the Australian Rugby League Commission has been keen on allowing clubs to plunder the ranks of Super Rugby franchises for players - with the extra incentive that any signings would be excluded from the salary cap.

But after discussing the idea at a meeting last week, the 17 NRL clubs decided the concept was ‘unworkable’.

Some of the richer clubs were keen to explore the idea, but the less financially secure clubs believed it would put them at a greater disadvantage and voted against the proposal.

Source the Mole

callmack1

Staff member

I still find it a real shame we had to move Karapani on due to his discipline by the sound of it. I still maintain that he's a star in waiting.

Hopefully Ferguson comes back one day.

Latest posts