What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 State of Origin Series (Mens Edition)

Pazza

First Grade
I’ve said it multiple times, give him the keys to this side and build exclusively around him. With a new coach I think there’s an opportunity to rethink the captaincy so I’d be giving that to Moses and taking goal kicking responsibilities off him and giving them to our other star Lomax. Let Moses focus on doing Moses things.

With that being the case, we’d need to offload and improve our edge forwards (at least on his side). We need speed from our outside backs (Lomax and possibly Blaize sort this out if he learns to tackle and catch a high ball). Finally, we need to offload Junior somehow and develop one of our pigs to be a smaller, more agile aggressive merkin.

That’s the kind of team that would get the most out of Moses

i liked how Mitch looked in that Penrith set up. Luai on the left and Edwards on the right allowing Mitch to roam the whole middle of the field, getting the ball at 1st or 2nd receiver. we could duplicate the same sort of thing with Brown left and Talagi on the right.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
i liked how Mitch looked in that Penrith set up. Luai on the left and Edwards on the right allowing Mitch to roam the whole middle of the field, getting the ball at 1st or 2nd receiver. we could duplicate the same sort of thing with Brown left and Talagi on the right.
If Moses was in the Penrith set up over the last 4 years, they would have performed just as well.

If Cleary was at Parra we wouldn’t have performed much better.

I said this 2 years ago and was flamed. I stand by it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
We could with some decent coaching and tactics.
How do you coach muppets? I get it. The coach is responsible for the muppets, but you can’t come up with magic tactics if the squad isn’t capable.

Look at the intensity with which NSW played last night. How many times have we seen that with the Eels? How many times have we not seen that with Penrith?

That’s largely on the players and their own commitment to excellence rather than the influence of a coach.

Happy MEel

First Grade
How do you coach muppets? I get it. The coach is responsible for the muppets, but you can’t come up with magic tactics if the squad isn’t capable.

Look at the intensity with which NSW played last night. How many times have we seen that with the Eels? How many times have we not seen that with Penrith?

That’s largely on the players and their own commitment to excellence rather than the influence of a coach.
Are they really magic tactics? It was just constant attacking plays on both sides of the field, completed at pace, with everyone knowing what they’re meant to be doing.

I was also replying to a poster saying we could replicate a similar set up with our own spine. I tend to agree with both Drown’s and Blaize’s pace.

However, our entire attacking structure consists of crash balls, set up plays, a 4th tackle shift and a kick. That is it. If muppets like me have worked this out over the last decade then opposition defence coaches sure as shit have too.

Don’t believe for a second I’m letting the players off for their complete lack of commitment, it’s appalling. But equally appalling are our gameplans and complete lack of a first grade standard structured attack.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Are they really magic tactics? It was just constant attacking plays, completed at pace, with everyone knowing what they’re meant to be doing.

I was also replying to a poster saying we could replicate a similar set up with our own spine. I tend to agree with both Drown’s and Blaize’s pace.

However, our entire attacking structure consists of crash balls, set up plays, a 4th tackle shift and a kick. That is it. If muppets like me have worked this out over the last decade then opposition defence coaches sure as shit have too.

Don’t believe for a second I’m letting the players off for their complete lack of commitment, it’s appalling. But equally appalling are our gameplans and complete lack of a first grade standard structured attack.
The most important part of my post was the bit about intensity and commitment. Thats where we have lacked. Tactics are a second order problem imo.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The coach of course can (and should) have an influence on the commitment to excellence of a player/the players....
I didn't say they couldn't. I'm just suggesting its less of a factor.

I say this as someone who has been in management roles at work and has dealt with shit people and superstars. The high achievers have a level of drive and self-committment that is innate and largely impervious to whatever guidance they are given by their 'superiors'.

I've heard Bellamy and Bennett say the same shit. The smart coaches are the ones that can spot leadership.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I didn't say they couldn't. I'm just suggesting its less of a factor.

I say this as someone who has been in management roles at work and has dealt with shit people and superstars. The high achievers have a level of drive and self-committment that is innate and largely impervious to whatever guidance they are given by their 'superiors'.

I've heard Bellamy and Bennett say the same shit. The smart coaches are the ones that can spot leadership.
Does that make them smart? To be honest, in a squad of 30 young adult males, I reckon it’d be pretty bloody easy to spot leadership.

Happy MEel

First Grade
The best game plan in the world won't work if you have players that aren't committed.
The most committed side in the world won’t win many games with today’s defensive structures if all they do is ruck it out all game.

I can play this game as well ;)

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
What do you mean the Penrith set up ?
I don’t reckon NSW played like Penrith … i think that’s one of the things they finally got right after trying to replicate the Penrith game plan for the last few series ….

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
I’ve said it multiple times, give him the keys to this side and build exclusively around him. With a new coach I think there’s an opportunity to rethink the captaincy so I’d be giving that to Moses and taking goal kicking responsibilities off him and giving them to our other star Lomax. Let Moses focus on doing Moses things.

With that being the case, we’d need to offload and improve our edge forwards (at least on his side). We need speed from our outside backs (Lomax and possibly Blaize sort this out if he learns to tackle and catch a high ball). Finally, we need to offload Junior somehow and develop one of our pigs to be a smaller, more agile aggressive merkin.

That’s the kind of team that would get the most out of Moses.
Generally agree with this and have thought similar for a little while … give Mitch the keys
Guth and junior will get over it

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
If Moses was in the Penrith set up over the last 4 years, they would have performed just as well.

If Cleary was at Parra we wouldn’t have performed much better.

I said this 2 years ago and was flamed. I stand by it.
Last night probably proved this theory
Mitchell is class surrounded by bums

Sensei Cobra

Juniors

the role of the coach is to motivate … I mean I get your point about the individuals taking responsibility but the best coaches are able to bring the absolute best of their players ….