What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB and exclusive radio rights

Brutus

Referee
Why would 2GB feel the need to pay for exclusive commercial rugby league radio rights when it's commonly known that they believe they would easily win the radio ratings anyway.

They have even paid for exclusive AM rights on a Monday night just to ensure that 2SM is not calling any football whatsoever. Triple M did not want exclusive Monday night rights as David Gallop had us believe. The reason 2SM was brushed was because GB paid for an AM blackout.

Is 2GB that insecure? Was the station scared of 2SM stealing league listeners away from them?

Hughes is hoping to get Phil Rothfield on the show tomorrow to discuss the ill-informed article that appeared in his Sunday column about 2SM and the radio rights issue. 2SM tried to contact Rebecca Wilson about the article, but she refused to answer their calls. At least Rothfield is willing to explain his usually unaccountable Sunday gossip column.

If it was Rothfield who suggested Hughes and SM's show of moral outrage was nothing more than sour grapes masqueraded as genuine concern for rugby league fans, he was dead right.
But if it is true that GB paid to keep SM off air (in terms of league coverage) when they themselves had no intention of providing coverage, that is disgraceful. And if Gallop told a porky to keep such facts quite on GB's behalf, that is also disgraceful.

Redback71

First Grade
the whole thing is bloody disgraceful if afl can have there game out multiple stations why cant the nrl, the afl recently signed deals with 4 other stations so that there game can be heard by as many people as possible, no wonder afl is flourishing in rugby leagues heartland cause the afl cares about the fans when clearly the nrl does not.

borat

Bench
Brutus said:
Why would 2GB feel the need to pay for exclusive commercial rugby league radio rights when it's commonly known that they believe they would easily win the radio ratings anyway.

They have even paid for exclusive AM rights on a Monday night just to ensure that 2SM is not calling any football whatsoever. Triple M did not want exclusive Monday night rights as David Gallop had us believe. The reason 2SM was brushed was because GB paid for an AM blackout.

Is 2GB that insecure? Was the station scared of 2SM stealing league listeners away from them?

Hughes is hoping to get Phil Rothfield on the show tomorrow to discuss the ill-informed article that appeared in his Sunday column about 2SM and the radio rights issue. 2SM tried to contact Rebecca Wilson about the article, but she refused to answer their calls. At least Rothfield is willing to explain his usually unaccountable Sunday gossip column.

:lol: Geez you only beleive what you want to don't you. If 2GB wanted exclusive rights whats new? Been done before and will be done again.

You really need to build a bridge Brutus

Brutus

Referee
borat said:
:lol: Geez you only beleive what you want to don't you. If 2GB wanted exclusive rights whats new? Been done before and will be done again.

You really need to build a bridge Brutus

Haven't you got a promotional gig to attend? Gallop and the NRL would love people to simply build a bridge, but it seems many people aren't this time - they've had enough and would like real answers.

Hughes said yesterday that his station would be happy even if the ABC provided coverage for country people on a Monday night, proving that there's more to it than simply being peeved that 2SM missed out on the rights. There's a bigger issue here.

Brutus

Referee
Redback71 said:
the whole thing is bloody disgraceful if afl can have there game out multiple stations why cant the nrl, the afl recently signed deals with 4 other stations so that there game can be heard by as many people as possible, no wonder afl is flourishing in rugby leagues heartland cause the afl cares about the fans when clearly the nrl does not.

Spot on the money mate.

borat

Bench
Brutus said:
Haven't you got a promotional gig to attend? Gallop and the NRL would love people to simply build a bridge, but it seems many people aren't this time - they've had enough and would like real answers.

Hughes said yesterday that his station would be happy even if the ABC provided coverage for country people on a Monday night, proving that there's more to it than simply being peeved that 2SM missed out on the rights. There's a bigger issue here.

I am positive the reason why you are able to quote Hughes adnauseum is because stationed under his desk.

Brutus

Referee
borat said:
I am positive the reason why you are able to quote Hughes adnauseum is because stationed under his desk.

Keep the flame flying Borat, the more we talk about it, the more it gets out there.

The NRL want it to be a dead horse, several rugby league fans have differing opinions.

borat

Bench
Brutus said:
Keep the flame flying Borat, the more we talk about it, the more it gets out there.

The NRL want it to be a dead horse, several rugby league fans have differing opinions.

Viva la resistance!! Keep fighting the good fight Brutus:lol:

Quidgybo

Bench
Brutus said:

You had/have my complete support in keeping this issue alive but I lost interest in pursuing the matter when some people tried to turn it into a David Gallop witch hunt. His ousting at this juncture is not a cause I wish to be part of as I think on balance he has done an excellent job to this point. My interest is the NRL's allocation of radio and online streaming audio rights, not a personal agenda against one paid employee of the NRL for an unsubstantiated litany of failures.

Leigh.

eelandia

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
You had/have my complete support in keeping this issue alive but I lost interest in pursuing the matter when some people tried to turn it into a David Gallop witch hunt. His ousting at this juncture is not a cause I wish to be part of as I think on balance he has done an excellent job to this point. My interest is the NRL's allocation of radio and online streaming audio rights, not a personal agenda against one paid employee of the NRL for an unsubstantiated litany of failures.

Leigh.

Having heard both the interviews with Gallop on 2SM that weekend, Gallop has much to answer and his integrity must be questioned in this instance. I too felt he was doing an ok job (nothing spectacular) but his reactions in that interview were very unprofessional. In fact he really had no idea which was a great shame for our game.

Not sure if you would be as supportive if you had listened to him and if you did hear the interviews, the question I have for you would be "if he was running your business would you let him make presentations to your board even though he didn't know the full facts of what he was presenting?".

BTW - I didn't particulary like GH as a caller of League when on Ch10, and am not a supporter. But did you hear that interview.....? He sounded like he was on drugs..!! Once again I MUST ask....did you hear the interviews, especially the second one?

Quidgybo

Bench
eelandia said:
Not sure if you would be as supportive if you had listened to him and if you did hear the interviews, the question I have for you would be "if he was running your business would you let him make presentations to your board even though he didn't know the full facts of what he was presenting?".
But he isn't making a presentation to the board. He's the guy sent out to front the press conference after the board has taken the unpopular decision. Meanwhile the faceless board members who made the decision slip quitely out the back door while muggins cops the calls for his resignation. It's called shooting the messenger.

BTW - I didn't particulary like GH as a caller of League when on Ch10, and am not a supporter. But did you hear that interview.....? He sounded like he was on drugs..!! Once again I MUST ask....did you hear the interviews, especially the second one?
No I didn't hear it but I can imagine what it was like. I'm sure it was embarrasing for everyone concerned. But I don't agree with the conclusions being drawn from that performance. I've been in that position where my management has taken a decision over my objections and I've been the one who's been sent out to break the bad news to the clients and defend it. And when they complain and ask questions that strike at the heart of the matter I know how embarassing it is to find yourself internally nodding while you're left speachless and umming and ahhing. It's hard to defend something you don't believe in. As I've previously suggested on this topic (but got drowned out by the witch hunt), just consider for a moment that the reason Gallop has put up such a poor defence of this decision is because privately he actually agrees with the criticism. I think it's at least as plausible as the conclusion that he just doesn't care.

Leigh

Brutus

Referee
Quidgybo said:

Leigh.

Yeah probably a bit harsh on Gallop, particularly when he wasn't CEO when these ridiculous commercial rights were brought in back in 2001.

In saying that we need to vent our anger at someone because this has been an issue for a while now and only because of 2SM's protests have we seen it discussed at any great lengths. Gallop is the only person from the NRL who has publicly commented on this issue, everyone else, including Annesley, is laying low.

The NRL kept rejecting 2UE until they eventually went away without a murmur. It's good to hear 2SM bringing up the many issues surrounding this decision after they too were shafted.

What gets me is that 2GB said they would withdraw their offer if 2SM was allowed to call Monday nights - a slot 2GB were not interested in themselves. To me the NRL is as weak as water for letting Singo call the shots like this. Why does the chest-beating 2GB station need exclusive rights anyway?

People are left with one commercial option - an option of songs, jokes, agendas, laughing and very little football talk. This pathetic excuse for a rugby league program is also the only internet option as well.

I would have no dramas with Hadley's show IF they had commercial competition, giving fans options.

Brutus

Referee
Quidgybo said:
the reason Gallop has put up such a poor defence of this decision is because privately he actually agrees with the criticism. I think it's at least as plausible as the conclusion that he just doesn't care.

Leigh

Going by those interviews I'd say he doesn't care.

They seem more concerned about discussing things like dropping two players from a rugby league team making it some other sport.

Quidgybo

Bench
So say you manage to maintain the rage and build up the pressure to such a point that you force Gallop to resign. What happens then? You get a new CEO - maybe better, possibly a lot worse. But as far as the coverage of the game on radio goes you’ve achieved nothing. You’ve got a trophy sacrifice but not what you were actually after in the first place because you allowed yourself to get distracted playing the man and not the ball. The two organizations – the NRL and 2GB – are the places to be aiming the attack, not any one individual who can be cast aside to take the heat off when it gets too much.

Leigh.

Gallop is impotent and spineless, particularly on this issue.

The TV rights situation is a recipe for disaster. We have 2 day games per round next season (forgetting twilight games at the start of the yr because of dalylight saving etc). Does this shmuck honestly think that in round 19 or 20 people are going to go to a game between 2 ordinary sides on a monday night when they have to rush from work, no post game going out etc because everyone has to work on a tuesday. So crowds fall. Atmosphere becomes zero. Does he think people are going to want to watch (on TV) 2 ordinary sides going at it on a monday night in near empty stadiums. If he does he's a shmuck. This will all come home to roost in the very very near future. Monday night football was a garbage idea when it first came to us round 87 and it's garbage now. And Gallop is a spineless, inpotent, indecisive, unprincipalled news ltd patsy. And a shmuck

eelandia

Juniors
Quidgybo said:
But he isn't making a presentation to the board. He's the guy sent out to front the press conference after the board has taken the unpopular decision. Meanwhile the faceless board members who made the decision slip quitely out the back door while muggins cops the calls for his resignation. It's called shooting the messenger.

Leigh

Yes he DID make a presentation to the board - he presented all tenders. Yet when asked the simple question of "will there be more or less coverage of the game to country areas", he didn't know.

If you were making a presentation to a board who will determine such an important marketing tool as radio rights, you would surely be informed enough to answer such basic questions.

Now either he was outright lying and knew exactly what the situation was, or was incompetent in this situation.

And then he has the audacity to ring back the next day where you would presume he would have some answers, but all he had to offer was some smart alec remark that if "2SM are so concerned about the coverage they should talk to 2MMM FM and see if they can use the feed and air it on 2SM's extensive radio network".

And by the way, we have since learned that 2GB wanted an AM radio blackout for Mondays (in Sydney) but didn't want to telecast the games themselves which is why 2MMM FM were given the rights...something Gallop left out in the 2 interviews. He insisted it was soley to tap into the 'youth' market.

In regards to shooting the messenger, they deserve to be shot if they can't even get the message right.

Brutus

Referee
Quidgybo said:
So say you manage to maintain the rage and build up the pressure to such a point that you force Gallop to resign. What happens then? You get a new CEO - maybe better, possibly a lot worse. But as far as the coverage of the game on radio goes you’ve achieved nothing. You’ve got a trophy sacrifice but not what you were actually after in the first place because you allowed yourself to get distracted playing the man and not the ball. The two organizations – the NRL and 2GB – are the places to be aiming the attack, not any one individual who can be cast aside to take the heat off when it gets too much.

Leigh.

Mate, I never asked Gallop to resign over this. You're getting off the topic and that's rugby league fans getting sold short by the NRL regarding radio rights. I remain fully aware that the NRL partnership made this decision and has done so since 2000 when the exclusive rubbish was brought in.

Yet I can still understand people being annoyed at Gallop because he is the only person from the NRL who has publicly commented on this and very poorly at that.