What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd NRL team needed in NZ

Paul Condon

Juniors
from the Christchurch Press, Christchurch, Canterbury, NZ.

Bulls 'boss' on move
20 December 2004
By JOHN COFFEY

The Canterbury Bulls rugby league team needs a new "boss" on the field next season because captain Aaron Harris will be overseas on a working holiday.

Harris, nicknamed Boss even before he succeeded Shane Beyers as skipper of Canterbury's Bartercard Cup team, expects to be away for two years.

He had hoped to extend his 38 consecutive appearances for the Bulls before leaving but has discovered his departure for London coincides with the kick-off of the 2005 competition.

About 150 players have left Bartercard Cup squads in the last year, the great majority of them seeking professional or part-time contracts overseas, but Harris, 27, said yesterday that was not his prime motive.

"It's mainly a working holiday but I'm going to have a look at a few (rugby league) things over there. I would be silly not to.

"I've been talking to Lusi (Sione, the former Bulls fullback now playing in England) and others who have come back and they said I would have no trouble finding a team to play for.

"But that's really secondary to my purpose of going over there to have a look around."

Next season will be the first time the Bulls will not have the name Harris on their team sheet.

Elder brother Clayton played 50 matches from 2000 – when he shared in the grand final victory over Otahuhu Leopards at Carlaw Park – until he was transferred on work promotion to Melbourne midway through 2002.

Aaron Harris made his debut in the last three games of that season. He also experienced the thrill of a grand final triumph, over Marist-Richmond Brothers at Ericsson Stadium in 2003.

This year, with Harris captaining the side from stand-off half, the much depleted Bulls again reached the play-offs before losing to North Harbour Tigers.

"It was a new challenge for me because I had never really captained a side before. I enjoyed it, and seeing the young guys come through," he said. "If all the guys who played this year are available again I think the Bulls will be pretty strong contenders next year."

Harris is a passionate advocate for the Bartercard Cup, despite, or because of, the demands on amateur players who are expected to achieve professional standards to be competitive.

"It's an excellent competition in a professional environment. Getting away with a team up to Auckland every second week was a big part of it for me," he said. "Guys are working 10 or 11 hours a day, then going to do a couple of hours of training for the love of it. I would play for nothing, and that's pretty much what we did, just for the love of the game."

Harris is currently backing up those words with deeds. He is still training with the Bulls and intends to do so until he and partner Liesje set off for London. "I enjoy it. It's a good incentive for me not to be sitting on the couch."

Bulls head coach Phil Prescott described Harris as "pretty under-estimated, one of those blokes who does his job and does it very well".

The scorer of 15 tries in his 38 Bartercard Cup matches, Harris could spark attacks with his clever kicking game or finish them with astute support play.

"You need blokes like him, who turn up for every game; you know what you will get from them," Prescott said.

NZ needs the Southern Orcas (Wellington), 150 good reasons every year.

Big Mick

Referee
I'll give you 1 good reason why there shouldn't be another NZ team.

The fact that they can't be successful with one team for the whole country to choose from, and can't get a stable stream of players to choose from.

The administration is stuffed in the current team, and they've only had 2/3 good seasons.

Another team is needed in New Zealand, but not for another 10 years.

carlnz

Bench
I think they should kick the Panthers out or merege them with Parramatta so we can get Wellington in...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Like it or not, Mick is right...

The Warriors still have some work to do before a second NZ team is bought in...

Wellington NRL crowd have been pathetic the last few years....

carlnz

Bench
BuffaloRules said:
Like it or not, Mick is right...

The Warriors still have some work to do before a second NZ team is bought in...

Wellington NRL crowd have been pathetic the last few years....

WTF!!!! The Warriors have one bad season...so what...Wellington bad crowds?? Look at the Storm, Souths!! Wellington have pulled over 15,000 plus over 25,000 for test matches......

Wellington love their footy and would put to shame some Sydney based clubs

Corbin

Juniors
Bring in wellington if you want to see international game improve bring in a 2nd nz side so players from fiji etc can play and get experience.

BuffaloRules

Coach
13,000 at the last two Wellington games.......

The Warriors crowds were not great last year, in fact behind every Sydney club other than Souths...( I think...)

ozbash

Referee
The fact that they can't be successful with one team for the whole country to choose from, and can't get a stable stream of players to choose from.

dont talk shit mick.
2002 the warriors were everyones favourite team, you fly by nighters let one bad season get the better of you.

Big Mick

Referee
ozbash said:

dont talk sh*t mick.
2002 the warriors were everyones favourite team, you fly by nighters let one bad season get the better of you.

I'm not talking shit.

Are you telling me that having to wait a good 8 years or so to go into a first finals series was acceptable from having a whole country to choose from?

I'm not blaming the team, i'm blaming the administration, because if it wasn't for them, then New Zealand would be my next choice to get in.

At the moment, if accepting a Wellington team means that the Gold Coast or Central Coast don't get a run, then i'm against it. If all three get in, you beauty.

When the Warriors become more consistant and not have 7 bad seasons, 2 good ones and another bad one, then I will agree with having Wellington.

I agree with the person that said it would be good for International Rugby League having Fijian players playing there etc, but how can we justify adding another team, when the current 17 in that country cannot perform.

If it means absolutely helping International Rugby league, i'm for it, but i'd much rather the Gold Coast in rather than Wellington.

Big Mick

Referee
And another thing.

I'm not a fly by nighter. I've been a panther and nothing else my whole life.

I admit, watching the warriors in 2002 was exciting, and I enjoyed watching them, but by no way were they my favourite team.

Dogaholic

First Grade
I actually think a second team in NZ is exactly what is needed! A team in Wellington will generate more interest in the area and will create a rivalry which might boom the popularity of league in NZ.

innsaneink

Referee
Its a Dogs World said:
I actually think a second team in NZ is exactly what is needed! A team in Wellington will generate more interest in the area and will create a rivalry which might boom the popularity of league in NZ.

Might?

A big risk to take on the chance of a 'might boom the poularity.'

Bennetts idea is much better, PNG.

No 'mights' about interest and popularity there, league is god in PNG, all they would need is the $$$ and development.
A 2nd NZ team would also need the interest. It aint there.

Dogaholic

First Grade
And how many $$$ would it cost the NRL to get a team from PNG and to keep them going each season?

Dogaholic

First Grade
Central Coast might flourish and might not if let into the NRL, as would the Gold Coast.

Nothing is for certain. Everything is a possibility. Might is an appropriate word for which ever team anyone is thinking of bringing in

In-goal

Bench
A second team in NZ would see the Warriors become more powerful as the weight of expectation would be halved, believe it or not but the Warriors face more pressure to perform than any club in Australia.

I would much rather a Wellington team before going back to the GC or CC they both had there time and proved to immature, they need a few more seasons in the sin bin if it means holding Wellington out.

By the way the Warriors aren't the whole of New Zealand, just ask the Canterbury Bulldogs who have a number of standout kiwis.

Iafeta

Referee
Big Mick said:
I'll give you 1 good reason why there shouldn't be another NZ team.

The administration is stuffed in the current team, and they've only had 2/3 good seasons.

Another team is needed in New Zealand, but not for another 10 years.

That is one of the biggest loads of garbage I've ever read.

Blame the team, fine, blame the coaching staff, fine, but lay your mits off the administration. The Warriors are the only club in the NRL who makes a profit every year including last year WITHOUT any benefits from any league club.

If thats poor administration, ensuring the future viability of a professional rugby league club in New Zealand, I'd hate to know what you think of every single other club in the NRL, including Penrith.

Iafeta

Referee
Immortal said:
I was wondering, which city has the bigger population. Auckland or Wellington?

Auckland, by a considerable margin.

Wellington though has a lot of I suppose satellite cities not too far away, Palmerston North, Napier, Hastings, Masterton, Wanganui, New Plymouth, I know people from Marlborough and Nelson who would catch the ferry across to watch them play, and have done in the past.

Iafeta

Referee
BuffaloRules said:
13,000 at the last two Wellington games.......

The Warriors crowds were not great last year, in fact behind every Sydney club other than Souths...( I think...)

And one of those was Round 5, the Warriors had an almighty ONE win by that stage this year. They were drawing less at Ericsson. Would you be going along to that, especially with what was going on in the media as to what was about to happen?

Wellington Hurricanes frequently finish in the bottom half of the Super 12, but draw consistently big crowds every year.

The population base has a lot of strongly built Polynesians, from rah-rah in the All Blacks currently the likes of Rodney Soilao, Jerry Collins, Tana Umaga, Ma'a Nonu - these are the sorts of blokes who would be superstars in rugby league. But aside from the Warriors, there's no real avenue to get into it professionally. If the kids worth his grain in salt, like a Piri Weepu who became an All Black only to say he dreams of being a Kiwi, they'll go to Super 12 where there's 5 or 6 New Zealand franchises.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Big Mick said:
I'm not blaming the team, i'm blaming the administration, because if it wasn't for them, then New Zealand would be my next choice to get in.
The Warriors are a privately owned club, so I don't see what relevance their management's performance has to the introduction of a second NZ side, as it wouldn't have anything to do with the Warriors.