What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: Australia v NZ in Cairns D/N (Cazaly's Stadium) Sept 8, 2022

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Imagine how good we could be if we didn't pick Finch and Stoinis.

Runs pretty hard to come by for the Kiwis here

This could be one of those small tricky totals

TheParraboy

Staff member
It's as clear as the light of day that the Aussie selectors have no succession plan at the moment regarding who's going to be the new opening ODI partnership once Funch and Warner are gone, and are just praying that they continue to play for as long as they can. The fact that both of them will be 36 within the next couple of months are at the tail-end of their international careers means nothing to them. However, Funch's woeful form may push the matter out of the selectors' hands if he has another shocker in the last ODI on Sunday.

If this was two decades ago during the Steve Waugh era, there's absolutely no way that a soon-to-be 36 year old opening batsman would be retained in the side at either national or state level with an average of 13 over their past 13 limited-overs innings.

Also, another issue is the captaincy. If Funch goes, who replaces him? Is giving it to Cummins putting too much on his plate to deal with, or are the selectors willing to give Smithy another stint given he has past experience captaining most of the current squad? Other than Cummins or Smith, I don't know who else in the squad would be a genuine contender for the role.

I'd give the captaincy to Mitch Marsh, especially as he would be around next 4-5 years.

Maxwell or Smith could take over if needed over the next year or two

Bazal

Post Whore
Junior is fast becoming one of the more useless commentators. Not that he was ever good.

This train of NZ being terrified to score is up there with his "well I'd just charge Josh Hazelwood and smack him back over his head for six" from the Zimbabwe series and the old "you just hit offies out of the attack" from a few years back

simmo1

First Grade
One of the best replacements at opener for the shorter formats would be Khawaja. Unfortunately he too turns 36 in December.

We've got the same problem across every format. I'd look at Marnus as a test opener at this stage.

I like Travis Head as an ODI opener. Never in a million years would I have him as a test opener though.

Fangs

Coach
I like Travis Head as an ODI opener. Never in a million years would I have him as a test opener though.

Yes that is a good call. I thought of him the other day.

Labs can move up there, Smith back to 3. Its just easier to find a middle/lower order batsman to learn their craft at test level. We did it for years with guys like Ponting then later they moved up.

Bazal

Post Whore
This game is killing my brain cells.

Unsure if I've ever seen such a unilaterally dumb performance from two teams