What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: Australia v South Africa at Adelaide Nov 9 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
Being Adelaide Zampa and Agar may both play?

Draft in SMarsh?

We need to look in the mirror and each others eyes...

69-05-41

Juniors
After today's "elite defeat" we will send out the SOS for multiple Marshmallows in game two.

Was Shaun out today due to an abscess on the buttock or because he is an abscess on the buttock? If he could actually bat then he would not have an abscess from sitting on his arse.

Bazal

Post Whore
We need an actual batsman or two, not just guys who like to smack boundaries. Gotta have someone who can anchor the innings somewhat...I really hate to say it but SDarsh might actually be a welcome inclusion.

Still not sure what a guy like Weatherald has to do to get a run, based on some of the dross others are producing, he's averaging 46 in ODD cricket, and striking at 102 without being a slogger.

Timbo

Staff member
Draft in Bailey, White or Ferguson?

We need an old head at 3 who can just bat time. All three of them were fairly solid in the JLT cup too, particularly Ferguson.

Having T20 sloggers like Lynn and Short is just asking for disaster.

Eelectrica

Referee
Clearly the Feng shui in the dressing room is all wrong. Apparently you can get Feng Shui mirrors. JL get onto it now. We can still win this series.

Also more barefoot Friday's. Could be awkward with the next game on Friday, but whatever.

Bazal

Post Whore
Draft in Bailey, White or Ferguson?

We need an old head at 3 who can just bat time. All three of them were fairly solid in the JLT cup too, particularly Ferguson.

Having T20 sloggers like Lynn and Short is just asking for disaster.

I'd go for Ferguson. I think White and Bailey are past it, but Ferguson and Weatherald are two that I'd pick for sure.

Finch
Lynn/Short (only one needed unless the pitch is an absolute road IMO. Lynn loves a hard ball, no reason at all he can't open. Otherwise Weatherald can open anyway)
Weatherald
Ferguson
Head
Carey
Maxwell/Stoinis

And then the bowlers. It's far from perfect but better than 14 all rounders

TheParraboy

Staff member
Lynn was the gun batsman in our domestic 50 over game, only in late sept and October
We dont want to sack him after one match do we? after a pace friendly deck where everyone else failed as well?

My main beef with Lynn is during the coverage yesterday they said he isn't allowed to dive in the field cause it could flare up his brittle shoulder. So give him this ODI and the t20 v india to bag some runs, if he is mediocre to average, then rubber stamp him. However if he wins a couple of games with the willow, then what?

Bazal

Post Whore
Lynn was the gun batsman in our domestic 50 over game, only in late sept and October
We dont want to sack him after one match do we? after a pace friendly deck where everyone else failed as well?

My main beef with Lynn is during the coverage yesterday they said he isn't allowed to dive in the field cause it could flare up his brittle shoulder. So give him this ODI and the t20 v india to bag some runs, if he is mediocre to average, then rubber stamp him. However if he wins a couple of games with the willow, then what?

I'd have Lynn over Short. I think he gets a bad wrap on here, he's a very good player. Short could be, too, but he is very much a guy who struggles when the ball isn't flying off the bat two or three times an over. Lynn can at least soak up some pressure.

Thing is balance. We've got so many big hitters, not enough actual batsmen. Pretty much our entire top six struggle if they aren't scoring consistent boundaries. I'd have Lynn opening or at 3, give him the hard ball and say have a go son.

Timbo

Staff member
Another note, Alex Carey is 27 years old and averages 28 in List-A cricket after 29 matches.

Am I missing something here? What has he done to show he's good enough to bat in the top 5?

Did we not dump Paine from the ODI side for not offering enough with the bat?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Another note, Alex Carey is 27 years old and averages 28 in List-A cricket after 29 matches.

Am I missing something here? What has he done to show he's good enough to bat in the top 5?

Did we not dump Paine from the ODI side for not offering enough with the bat?

Scored a great t20 ton last summer, and a couple of quick fire 50s, thats why
Don't you know the selectors pick some of the ODI side based on t20 form?

i don't mind them trialling Carey, showed a bit of grit yesterday where others couldn't. not sure he will be there long term ,though who else is there? Do we give Handscomb the gloves again?

Also Paine is turning 34 soon, big test series v india coming up. Rather him play a couple of Shield games and be raring to go for that. You would think he will be in the ashes series as well and not long to go after that before he most probably retires?

Bazal

Post Whore
Scored a great t20 ton last summer, and a couple of quick fire 50s, thats why
Don't you know the selectors pick some of the ODI side based on t20 form?

i don't mind them trialling Carey, showed a bit of grit yesterday where others couldn't. not sure he will be there long term ,though who else is there? Do we give Handscomb the gloves again?

Also Paine is turning 34 soon, big test series v india coming up. Rather him play a couple of Shield games and be raring to go for that. You would think he will be in the ashes series as well and not long to go after that before he most probably retires?

Carey is a better keeper than Handscomb, or probably any other serious limited overs option. I don't disagree that he's not really a long term option but if we can get up to 5 years out of him averaging at least 30 in the lower middle order and keeping really well then that's fine IMO.

I'll always maintain you should pick your best keeper and not focus too much on their batting, so long as they aren't Chris Hartley level with the bat

simmo1

First Grade
The same Chris Hartley who has a better first class average and 5 times as many centuries as Carey and Paine combined?

Timbo

Staff member
I would probably look at Handscomb, he at least knows how to rotate the strike.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Travis Head will open again in this match, scored a ton v Pakistan in 2017 and a 96 v England earlier in the year here.

If our top 6-7 can’t get a good total batting first OR at least compete chasing a total on this deck, then we are in a lot more trouble than we think, if that’s possible.

Matt23

Staff member
Apparently Ben McDermott has been added to the squad as cover for Darsh...

TheParraboy

Staff member
Can’t believe we have been favourites to win with the bookies both 1st and this ODI. Insanity.

Money for jam putting a bit on SA if you ask me