What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI India v Australia at Nagpur March 5th 2019

TheParraboy

Staff member
Can we turn it around?

How long do we persist with Finch or is he just a lock every match and the WC?

JJ

Immortal
You're kind of like us with Munro - committed to the extent that any change now looks like panic...

Bit seriously, this can't be close to the XI you go with in the WC, but do the selectors really plan to make last minute wholesale changes and expect the team to gel and perform?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It's not just a matter of dropping an out of form batsman, he's also the captain with very few contenders to replace him.

Khawaja- very lucky to be in the team anyway.
Stoinis- lol.
Maxwell- yeah, nah. See the BBL final.
Cummins- very little to zero captaincy experience.

Warner and Smith - when hell freezes over, the first bloke is a germ, the second proved that he's about as useful a leader as Dopey of the 7 dwarves.

S Marsh would be my pick for the very short term. The form ODI batsmen if the side, experienced, sadly the best option of a very bad bunch of contenders.

Or the Admiral. :anchor:

TheParraboy

Staff member
We seem to be tinkering with every bating position other than Finch

If we are gonna keep him drop him to no6, he is useless against the new ball now

If you hear the noise Warner and Smith will walk straight into the side
Plus Starc and Hazlewood (if fit they are both fit), and SMarsh, that's almost half the side on the sideline
Then of course in form bloke like Wade has his name rubber stamped

TheParraboy

Staff member
It's not just a matter of dropping an out of form batsman, he's also the captain with very few contenders to replace him.

Khawaja- very lucky to be in the team anyway.
Stoinis- lol.
Maxwell- yeah, nah. See the BBL final.
Cummins- very little to zero captaincy experience.

Warner and Smith - when hell freezes over, the first bloke is a germ, the second proved that he's about as useful a leader as Dopey of the 7 dwarves.

S Marsh would be my pick for the very short term. The form ODI batsmen if the side, experienced, sadly the best option of a very bad bunch of contenders.

Or the Admiral. :anchor:

I don't think Smith is a useless leader, and he could captain again (has to sever 12 months when back playing) . Finch isn't a brilliant captain either makes a lot of stuff ups, including not bowling the best bowlers their full allocated overs

Maxwell was in the ball park, but that post BBL final blame game comments didn't put him in good light for the role

Agree SMarsh most logical and should be seriously considered to replace Finch very soon if we are serious about the WC. We cant carry Finch just cause he is captain

Hope there is an SOS for Admiral Wade to restore order...

Eelectrica

Referee
Our selectors are dreaming if they think Smith and Warner are the magic bullet. We've been an ODI basket case for the last 3 years at least.
During that time Finch has been fairly good, but now he's ready for the scrap heap as well.
Maxwell to me seems the logical choice for captain. Post BBL final comments aside.

Bring Darcy Short back in the side. Wheel the food cart out to Finch just before the innings starts and he won't even notice that Short has gone out in his place.

It's nice that Khawaja scored a 50, but he's gotta pick up the pace a little or stick around until over 40 at least and anchor the innings whilst whoever's at the other end plays his shots.

jargan83

Coach
Unfortunately like @AlwaysGreen said Finch is the captain so it’s not as easy as just dropping an under performing batsman because the options to lead the side are pretty thin in the ground. Langer + selectors will give him every chance to find form before the World Cup. I don’t even think Finch is a good captain, look at Adelaide Oval vs South Africa as an example.

Shaun Marsh is probably the best placed contender to replace Finch as captain but I guess when you’re as injury prone as Marsh is it may be long odds.

To many 20’s and 30’s in game 1 which seems to be the story of our ODI side these days. We need blokes to go on and make big scores after making starts like that.