What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: Australia v England at Adelaide Dec 5-9, 2013

TheParraboy

Staff member
If poms are going to bounce back its at this venue

Drop in pitch for the first time (which I hate). Aussie side to be the same. Rumours Rhino to be rested, and unleashed in Perth?? Not sure bout that

Poms may bring in Finn for Tremlett. Trott on thin ice, may be given one more go?

Im still assuming (drop in pitch) no where near the bounce of the Gabba. Not sure Johnson will be as effective, but if he can perform and do a decent job in contributing to another win rather than go off the rails and get tonked, then he will have everyones respect this comeback

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Finn in for Tremlett, Trott may be dropped to 5 or 6 with Root or Bell going to 3.

No changes for us, hopefully selectors won't rotate or rest anyone. The injuries to Pattinson, Starc etc prove it doesn't work.

England were soft in the 1st test, Australia still have issues but should be favourites going in.

And on a personal note, the poms are coming to Alice while I'm out of town for a week. Good timing AG you gimp.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think England could make a mistake playing Finn. From all reports this is a bad Adelaide oval and he is a little loose and he might cop a hiding.

I'd be tempted to play the extra spinner. Of course after having a peak at the wicket first and play Finn at the WACA.

undertaker

Coach
Adelaide Oval is traditionally a flat track for the first 3 to 4 days. A very important toss to not only win, but put on a big score in the first innings (I believe 450 or so is the average 1st innings score at Adelaide).

Last time 3 yrs ago, we lost the test in the first 15 minutes when we were 3 for 2. We were always going to struggle for a draw from that point onwards and ended up being rissoled by an innings. The top 6 are definitely going to have to bat much better than they did in the 1st innings of the Gabba test (2nd innings performance doesn't count as they had a healthy 150+ run lead and weren't under any pressure to lose the match).

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Drop in pitch for the first time (which I hate)

Another reason to hate the AFL. They got their way 20 years ago or so with the MCG, and now got their way with Adelaide Oval as the Adelaide AFL franchises will be playing matches there. They also wanted The Gabba and SCG to use drop in pitches. Ummm, I believe SCG means "Sydney CRICKET Ground" not Sydney AFL Ground.

Drop-in pitches are wreaking enough havoc around the world destroying the quality of cricket matches. Then we have the AFL adding insult to injury

TheParraboy

Staff member
Adelaide Oval is traditionally a flat track for the first 3 to 4 days. A very important toss to not only win, but put on a big score in the first innings (I believe 450 or so is the average 1st innings score at Adelaide).

Last time 3 yrs ago, we lost the test in the first 15 minutes when we were 3 for 2. We were always going to struggle for a draw from that point onwards and ended up being rissoled by an innings. The top 6 are definitely going to have to bat much better than they did in the 1st innings of the Gabba test (2nd innings performance doesn't count as they had a healthy 150+ run lead and weren't under any pressure to lose the match).

We played a badly match underfit Bollinger in that game, who if memory serves me correctly, was denied to play Sheffield shield games and played some t20 before the call up. Ran out of puff after a few overs (playing only t20 does that)

Clearly remember Hussey dropping a sitter of Dougies bowling very early on, Cook ?? The batsman went on to make a big score. Was also a stupid stupid run out of katich, sunshine to blame I believe

One test to remain in the archives

African Monkey

First Grade
It's always tough for opposition sides to come back after losing in Brisbane. This will be a real test of Englands character.

I can't see England making too many changes tbh. Don't know what was up with Trott in that last test as he is usually very calm and composed at the crease.

The England lower order also need to really step up in the next test. It proved vital in Brisbane where the Aussies went a long way to winning with Haddin, Johnson and co. really did pile on the runs in the 1st innings.

_snafu_

Immortal
A drop in pitch makes selection difficult, but you would imagine that no changes will be made to our squad.

TheParraboy

Staff member
announced there will be no changes to the aussie squad (maybe Faulkner may play?)

source: on tv (I was shaving in the bathroom)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Its a shame Pattinson is injured, his aggression and pace would compliment this attack perfectly. I never saw Siddle get over 135ks in the first test match so he is releasing the pressure on the poms yet last season he was bolwing well over 140 ks. One wicket in either innings is a bit of a disappointment.

Hopefully Watson and Smith have better games and Bailey should like this track as it will probably be flat being a drop in but just on Bailey I think he will be a stop gap till we can find a proper test match batsman.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Also if its a typical drop in road I dont think we can blast them with aggressive short pitched bowling as they should feast on it so hopefully we adjust to the pitch conditions early but I'm pretty sure Billy will pick up on that.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Rose and X have bowled 36 of 110 overs for Tassie and Zampa and Botha have bowled 56 of 127 overs for SA and this is just the first innings of the Shield Game on the Adelaide pitch.

Second innings so far Zampa and Botha have bowlers 22 of 44 overs.

It seems to be the traditional Adelaide pitch so far unless they prepare a completely different pitch for the test match.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I expect England t bounce back strong in this Test.

They weren't just beaten in Brisbane, they were humiliated. On the field and then in the press room by Warner - which may backfire.

It's worth remembering that England were pasted by India in India during the 1st test roughly a year ago. They then regrouped to win the series quite easily 2-1. Which is the toughest road trip in world cricket imo.

Also the last time Australia thrashed England in Australia, we returned serve and thrashed Australia in the next two tests. So I'm not a big believer in momentum.

A very interesting test match awaits!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think everyone is expecting them to fight back, the Gabba result wont happen again at Adelaide.

The WACA maybe but not at Adelaide.

Latest posts