What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Christchurch, Dec 26-30 2018 - NEW ZEALAND WON BY 423 RUNS

Meth

Staff member
It's probably Henry for Wagner, isn't it? That's about all that we can do.

JJ

Immortal
I don't see them making any changes TBH

While Wagner was terrible, his ability to bowl long spells with the old ball is something Southee, Boult and Henry don't do well - and he can't really be dropped after one poor test

I'd like to see Henry play a test, I still think he's got plenty to offer - but unless Boult is very worn down by his efforts in the UAE I can't see any point in Henry playing.

I'd love to see the back of CDG, but Neesham or Bracewell are the options there - liking Dougie more for that atm given it seems to be the #7 spot and he still offers real quality with the ball

Would also like to see Will Young given a crack at Raval's spot - if Raval can only manage 40 and a soft dismissal on that deck against that attack then surely questions need to be asked...

But as I started, it'll be the same XI unless one of the bowlers is too worn down - and Boult's the only one that played all the tests

Meth

Staff member
Is there an argument for Henry coming in for CDG? Seems to me we need another genuine wicket taking option, rather than a batting allrounder.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Is there an argument for Henry coming in for CDG? Seems to me we need another genuine wicket taking option, rather than a batting allrounder.
Maybe - but then you have the India situation where it's 5 down pretty much all out -, but Southee, Ajaz, Boult and Wagner are all 10-11s - that's perhaps why Dougie Bracewell is the answer?

Meth

Staff member
Maybe - but then you have the India situation where it's 5 down pretty much all out -, but Southee, Ajaz, Boult and Wagner are all 10-11s - that's perhaps why Dougie Bracewell is the answer?

Yeah, I would agree- but he isn’t in the squad

Meth

Staff member
It just doesn’t seem like batting beyond 6 is the big need here, not that CDG is a reliable savour in time of need

JJ

Immortal
Yeah, I would agree- but he isn’t in the squad
I know, I'm starting to have a few problems with the way our squads are picked tbh... coming back from the UAE the pressure should have been on Raval and Latham to a lesser extent, and CDG - yet nobody was picked that could play instead of CDG... show of faith in him, I guess - but could always bring a quick in if one of the three was hurt

Iafeta

Referee
Unchanged team.

That wicket was weird. You had to break your back to get it above ballsack height. It was a consistent easy pace. Wagner is a park cricketer of sorts but his short pitch stuff works when there is any variability or pace in the wicket.

As for CDG I don’t think he did anything wrong tbf. He’s good in NZ conditions.

Jeet, no they will retain him. I’m a critic yes, but I also agree with a comment the Sky team made. If he can get his first ton, he could knock up a few more too. He just needs to get that first one. Which is part of my disappointment in test one. He’d done the hard yards all he needed to do was concentrate and he could have Tommy Lathamed it. I think he gets the home summer to prove he can convert starts to centuries

Iafeta

Referee
I know, I'm starting to have a few problems with the way our squads are picked tbh... coming back from the UAE the pressure should have been on Raval and Latham to a lesser extent, and CDG - yet nobody was picked that could play instead of CDG... show of faith in him, I guess - but could always bring a quick in if one of the three was hurt

Sometimes the patience policy pays off. Look at Latham. You are right he should have been under pressure. But I don’t think he’d have copped any pressure from the selectors. He then goes and carries his bat for a world record.

JJ

Immortal
Sometimes the patience policy pays off. Look at Latham. You are right he should have been under pressure. But I don’t think he’d have copped any pressure from the selectors. He then goes and carries his bat for a world record.
Agree, but Henry will only ever play if one of the others is hurt, just think Bracewell is a genuine option to play - I get that Colin is decent in our conditions, but he's still pretty much a flake with the bat and in the field - ironically his bowling has become his most reliable facet, but he's only threatening in the freshest of conditions

JJ

Immortal
Unchanged team.

That wicket was weird. You had to break your back to get it above ballsack height. It was a consistent easy pace. Wagner is a park cricketer of sorts but his short pitch stuff works when there is any variability or pace in the wicket.

As for CDG I don’t think he did anything wrong tbf. He’s good in NZ conditions.

Jeet, no they will retain him. I’m a critic yes, but I also agree with a comment the Sky team made. If he can get his first ton, he could knock up a few more too. He just needs to get that first one. Which is part of my disappointment in test one. He’d done the hard yards all he needed to do was concentrate and he could have Tommy Lathamed it. I think he gets the home summer to prove he can convert starts to centuries
ANd on Wagner, I've never liked him at all - but his record is pretty impressive - so calling him a park cricketer is a bit unfair - CDG is the park cricketer, I've seen him in his natural environment at Lloyd Elsmore and Colin Maiden Parks - that's where he does his best work, he's scary against club bowlers

Iafeta

Referee
ANd on Wagner, I've never liked him at all - but his record is pretty impressive - so calling him a park cricketer is a bit unfair - CDG is the park cricketer, I've seen him in his natural environment at Lloyd Elsmore and Colin Maiden Parks - that's where he does his best work, he's scary against club bowlers

The way Wagner bowls is park cricket like. Half tracker pies. But somehow he has made it work for him.

That’s my point on Wagner.

I’m staggered on his record and I think it’s more of an indictment on lack of technique in batting these days. For once two lads batted time admittedly on a poor featherbed pitch and made him look extremely poor.

Reactions: JJ

Iafeta

Referee
Agree, but Henry will only ever play if one of the others is hurt, just think Bracewell is a genuine option to play - I get that Colin is decent in our conditions, but he's still pretty much a flake with the bat and in the field - ironically his bowling has become his most reliable facet, but he's only threatening in the freshest of conditions

He’s averaging around 30 with both bat and ball in test cricket. Also he is a bowler on a flat wicket that can be a stock bowler to allow the others to rest up.

As soon as Colin’s record falls away I think he will be moved on. At the moment though he’s doing enough to keep himself afloat.

Matt Henry is never really taken advantage of his limited test opportunities. Whereas Colin whether you like him or not did. And now he seems to have a defined role in the team.

Meth

Staff member
Looking forward to this. Hopefully we can win the toss and have a bowl

Meth

Staff member
Today has to be the day for Jeet Raval. I love his approach to opening the innings, but he simply must be able to convert a start to a score, at least occasionally. Averaging 20 (exactly) for 2018 right now (1*) and that's simply not good enough.

Meth

Staff member
New Zealand has a great record here in Christchurch. Played 5. Won 3. Lost 1. Drawn 1.

The first match here was a Boxing Day Match 4 years ago, which featured a 195 from Brendon McCullum.

2014- what a year for B Mac