What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 2 1 the Panfers

Meth

Staff member
It was a funny old game. The refs were never in control of the game and the Panthers were never in control of the ball. It was an ugly game and I was just happy to win, even though it was a little ugly.

I have been a critic of Locke and Inu, but they are both going a long way towards proving me wrong. Hohaia too. Mannering and Brown are both looking as good as our centres have looked for a long time. Maloney and Seymour, at times, look like very competent halves with very competent kicking games. Rapira, Lillyman and Packer have improved a lot. Mateo's game is a lot more responsible, but still looks threatening. Ta'ai and Matulino put some sting into our attack and defense. Taylor and Luck are solid. All in all, I'm happy.

3- Locke
2- Hohaia
1- Mateo

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
3- Mateo
2- Matulino
1- Locke

Wanted to give the forwards some points as both sides backlines were fairly shambolic for mine.

Seymour was having a mare until he put in his only two decent kicks near the end. Maloney's long kicking was ok but he needs to stop getting tackled 15 times a game. Very slow-witted when it comes to his passing game.

tbh I found it hard to pick out players as no-one really stood out for me. Mateo is doing a lot of quality work, Locke is making the big moments count, and Ben was strong as usual.

Izz

Bench
3 - Matulino
2 - Locke
1 - Mateo

Special mentions to Rapira and Ta'ai. Packer was his typical solid self. It's the intensity of our defense which is causing opposition teams to have muddle-fests. Pity we went to sleep in the last ten, because if we hadn't, and the Tigers lose, we could've been in 7th.

Maloney's conversion across the wind was magnificent. Taylor was a bit quiet today. Mara was ok. Heremaia's got some confidence back. Hohaia actually played like a fullback for some of the game!

Seluini will be Panther's starting hooker before the season's out.

ETA: i think the wind had a bigger factor on the game than most of us realize. Very difficult for the backline to look fluid when it's blowing like that.

Last edited:

Warmess

Juniors
3. Locke
2. Brown
1. Mateo

Pretty meh game. Annoyed at the two tries let in at the end, we could use the p/d. Refs were shit, but the game wasn't much better anyway.

Thank god we got the 2.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
On Lewis Brown, I love his effort as much as the next bloke, but in truth for every good run he makes there's another where he gets monstered and pushed back 5 metres. Ta'ai is a bit like that too. Blokes like Matulino and Mateo don't hit the line as hard but get over the advantage line more consistently (Mateo is interesting, he seems to deliberately not run on to the ball at all, but it works for him as he maintains his balance and can use his footwork).

JoeD

First Grade
Maloney and Seymour, at times, look like very competent halves with very competent kicking games
I thought that seymore's kicks were on the whole pretty bad

armchaircritic

Juniors
Hard to pick this week.

3. Mateo
2. Brown
1. Locke

Special mention: Matulino

Bit disappointed with the last 10, should have put more points on the panthers. That said 2 points & 4 wins from the last 5 games.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
3. Locke
2. Brown
1. Mateo

Pretty meh game. Annoyed at the two tries let in at the end, we could use the p/d. Refs were shit, but the game wasn't much better anyway.

Thank god we got the 2.

In slight defence, the pass to Waterhouse (?) was a mile forward. Couple that with the two Dugan tries that were not tries either, factor in Simpkins' mares in the Manly Cows game...refs stinking up the joint again.

blain

Juniors
Hohaia comes into the backline, and gets tackled alot which kills momentum.. He also doesnt have great kick returns, but he was good defensively today and did his job.

3 Mateo
2 Locke
1 Brown

These guys did alot of work, theres werent alot of guys who really stood out, was a pretty average game in the end. But any Warriors win is a game I enjoy ;)

ozbash

Referee
On Lewis Brown, I love his effort as much as the next bloke, but in truth for every good run he makes there's another where he gets monstered and pushed back 5 metres. Ta'ai is a bit like that too. Blokes like Matulino and Mateo don't hit the line as hard but get over the advantage line more consistently (Mateo is interesting, he seems to deliberately not run on to the ball at all, but it works for him as he maintains his balance and can use his footwork).

bollox

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Which part of that is bollocks?

You gave Maloneytard more points so you've already lost the thread anyway *salutes the judges*

Iafeta

Referee
I call bollocks too frankly. I'd be surprised if the bloke has had a game this year where he has gone less than 100 metres and without at least 3-4 tackle breaks. He's been the most consistent Warrior this year. Bloody glad the bloke got rewarded with a place in the Kiwis squad.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
So all those hit-ups where Brown gets driven backwards are actually hallucinations?

I can't be wrong because I'm simply reporting a factual occurrence which I've seen. It's hardly surprising given Brown's lack of size. I'm not suggesting his average metres gained per hit-up or overall contribution is poor.

Izz

Bench
So he only bends the advantage line 50% of the time. Every second hit-up he's being driven backwards?